Chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time lurker here! I want to know how I can improve my application and how my chances are looking at some of the top schools. I'm only listing the schools I'm highly interested in, but I'll take suggestions for other schools.

School List:
UCLA
NYU
USC
UCD
UCSD
UCI
Stanford
UCSF
Harvard
John Hopkins
Mayo
Yale

My stats so far:
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Psychology
cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 37 13/12/12
I am a Underrepresented Minority. (Mexican) Also a first familt member to graduate college. (Not sure if that matters.)
CA Resident

EC's:
Volunteering at local hospital: 511 hours

Shadowing: 101 hours

Part of a summer research program on campus. 9 weeks of intensive field research, After I was placed in a lab on campus. (2 years of experience)

I was a member of three clubs on campus. A research club, a premed club, and a chemistry club.
I held positions in both the premed and chem club.

Premed club: Position held: Event manager (1.5 Years). I worked with groups outside our school to organize events on our campus. Examples include: Blood donation events, fun runs, and MCAT preparation events. I was also in charge of helping organize fundraisers.

Chemistry Club: Position held: Treasurer( 1 year), Co-President( 1 year) As treasurer I was in charge of organizing fundraisers for our bi-annual science fairs at local elementary schools. I also purchased all necessary items for the fairs (mostly reagents). As Co-President I helped the club grow from 10 to 35 active members. I organized events where Professors would come and talk about their research and would run a weekly tutoring session with other officers to help students with, usually, all science classes.

I have a bunch of other random little things, but I feel like those are the biggest EC's.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your numbers are great for any of those schools. You're ECs look good. You have shown leadership and great commitment to some. Although none stand out as particularly super interesting to me, so I should be sure to work on explaining them in a way that will make you stand out. Your only other weakness is that a lot of other students will have significant nonmedical volunteer work. And as you know apply early! Those are just some nitpicky things - I think you will do great and get into a number of great schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you have a great shot at being accepted. I don't know anything about california schools, but if none of those are safeties, I would replace NYU with Cornell, Columbia, and Mount Sinai, which are much better than NYU and would be relatively safe.