Chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiggieZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just want to see what my chances are! I am currently in the middle of my gap year.

cGPA: 3.52
BCMP: 3.32
MCAT: 39 (14,13,12)

ECs:
Extensive shadowing (abroad too) with 400+ hours in 15 different specialties with working as a Scribe for 2 years as well.
EMT for 3 years
Founder and President of 2 clubs at my school which are well established and will flourish after founding members are gone. 3 years for one of them and 2 years for the other.
Research Assistant for 1.5 years but no publications.
PACU volunteer for 1 year 100+ hours
Volunteer abroad in 2 different countries.
RA for 3 years
Numerous other volunteer experiences but not disclosing to keep anonymity (I filled up all 15 slots with meaningful experiences.

My GPA for the first 2 years of college was around a 2.8 and I had to work hard to bring it back up while taking heavier course loads, winter classes and online classes. I have a huge upward trend for the last 2 years. I have amazing LORs and a good personal statement with descriptions for all my ECs. I am also in a special masters program currently and I am satisfied with my grades (top 5% of the class currently).

I applied to numerous schools (about 35 I think). Can an upward trend and an ok cGPA make up for the low science gpa? How much of a red flag will the science gpa be? My grades were low from pre reqs, however, I scored pretty well on MCATs so can that compensate? How would I fare on more selective and upper tier schools? How about more research heavy schools? Any acceptance letter would be a blessing but some insight from others would be nice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have interviews yet? I'd be shocked if you didn't get accepted to at least a mid-tier school. I think you have a decent shot at top tiers as well assuming it's a pretty strong upward GPA trend. Pretty well on the MCAT? You scored >99th percentile. Awesome job!

Hey guys just want to see what my chances are! I am currently in the middle of my gap year.

cGPA: 3.52
BCMP: 3.32
MCAT: 39 (14,13,12)

ECs:
Extensive shadowing (abroad too) with 400+ hours in 15 different specialties with working as a Scribe for 2 years as well.
EMT for 3 years
Founder and President of 2 clubs at my school which are well established and will flourish after founding members are gone. 3 years for one of them and 2 years for the other.
Research Assistant for 1.5 years but no publications.
PACU volunteer for 1 year 100+ hours
Volunteer abroad in 2 different countries.
RA for 3 years
Numerous other volunteer experiences but not disclosing to keep anonymity (I filled up all 15 slots with meaningful experiences.

My GPA for the first 2 years of college was around a 2.8 and I had to work hard to bring it back up while taking heavier course loads, winter classes and online classes. I have a huge upward trend for the last 2 years. I have amazing LORs and a good personal statement with descriptions for all my ECs. I am also in a special masters program currently and I am satisfied with my grades (top 5% of the class currently).

I applied to numerous schools (about 35 I think).
1) Can an upward trend and an ok cGPA make up for the low science gpa?
2) How much of a red flag will the science gpa be?
3) My grades were low from pre reqs, however, I scored pretty well on MCATs so can that compensate?
4) How would I fare on more selective and upper tier schools?
5) How about more research heavy schools?
1) It depends on if the upward trend includes a string of As in the upper-level Bio and Biochem classes. If not, seeing an official fall transcript from your current SMP would be critical.
2) It would make me look closely at your science and math marks and their trend across the semesters and years. Personally, I'd also be looking for an explanation for the initial underwhelming performance in one of your essays.
3) Yes, for some schools.
4) The most selective schools might pass you by so that your grades don't have a negative effect on their overall acceptee averages. There are some reported (by SDNers) to have accepted folks with excellent SMP performance, though. I expect this is less likely to happen without a full year of consistently excellent SMP achievement on your record.
5) There are research-strong schools that are less numbers-oriented. For them, it will depend on how you described your research role and how substantive it was.

Members don't see this ad :)
your scored excellently on your MCAT, Great Job! please share your methods and give your advice on how I can do this well also!! I'd greatly appreciate it.

what were your study methods for each section?

what resources did you use?

how long did you study for the mcat?

how many times did you take it?

and what was your major?

Hey sorry for getting back so late! I used Examkrackers for most of my studying. I say you stick to mastering only ONE prep company; know it like the back of your hand.
Once youve done that supplement it with loads of practice tests and questions from everywhere.
I am a typical biology major and I only took the MCAT once.
I prepped for about 4 months 3-4 hours a day with 2 sometimes 3 days off. Remember its about studying smart, not just ploughing your way through. I made this mistake with SATs and I burned out eventually. Learned from my mistake haha