DO Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDMcNugent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I will be a re-applicant this coming June and here is where I am for this current cycle: Applied in September with a 2.89 cGPA, 3.30 sGPA, 27 MCAT (9/9/9). I applied to the following schools: ACOM -interviewed in January, Waitlisted, CCOM-Rejected post secondary, DMU-Rejected post secondary, VCOM VC-Rejected pre secondary, MUCOM-Rejected pre secondary, OUHCOM-Silence post secondary (not a shock), PNWU-Rejected pre secondary, Touro NY-Silence post secondary, Touro CA-Silence post secondary, UNECOM-Rejected post secondary, Western Lebanon-Rejected pre secondary.

I spoke with PNWU and Western who said that my misdemeanors were a BIG issue. Not because I have them but because I failed to address what I learned from them and simply stated the details of the charges. I have to assume that most of the schools I applied to also viewed this in a negative light and obviously, my cGPA is an issue and sGPA is a little on the low side.

After re-takes are over in May (assuming all A's), here is where I will be sitting: 3.05cGPA, 3.49 sGPA, same MCAT as above. Assuming I get A's in re-takes, then my last 54 credit hours will be a 3.68. I will also be gutting my entire application and PS and start from scratch so I am not duplicating anything when I apply in June. I will also be attending KCUMB's 1 year MS in biomedical science program this coming fall, unless I get accepted to Touro-CA MHS program that has roughly a 100% acceptance rate for students getting into the COM.

Here are my extras:
-3 years full time employment as a behavioral tech in a mental health facility/hospital--> ~7500 hours
-Currently work in insurance full time for the past 2 years (not ideal but pays the bills)
-58 hours physician shadowing- 54 of which are DO shadowing and have my LOR from a DO
-2 years as a council member for my undergrads programming council
-Big brother/big sister mentor-15 hours
-Volunteered at a homeless shelter-50 hours
-Currently volunteer for meals on wheels
-Have some other stuff but not really as important as the ones I listed above

Finally, here is my list of schools that I would like to apply to: ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, DMU, PCOM-GA, PCOM, KCUMB (since I will be doing a bridge program here), Marian, PNWU, Touro NY & CA, VCOM-CC & VC, Western-Lebanon, UNECOM, Nova, RVU, & Rowan.

I realize a handful of these are reaches but let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Once you get your retakes done and get that sGPA > 3.0, you'll be in a much more competitive spot. Apply broadly. And own the misdemeanors.

So, I will be a re-applicant this coming June and here is where I am for this current cycle: Applied in September with a 2.89 cGPA, 3.30 sGPA, 27 MCAT (9/9/9). I applied to the following schools: ACOM -interviewed in January, Waitlisted, CCOM-Rejected post secondary, DMU-Rejected post secondary, VCOM VC-Rejected pre secondary, MUCOM-Rejected pre secondary, OUHCOM-Silence post secondary (not a shock), PNWU-Rejected pre secondary, Touro NY-Silence post secondary, Touro CA-Silence post secondary, UNECOM-Rejected post secondary, Western Lebanon-Rejected pre secondary.

I spoke with PNWU and Western who said that my misdemeanors were a BIG issue. Not because I have them but because I failed to address what I learned from them and simply stated the details of the charges. I have to assume that most of the schools I applied to also viewed this in a negative light and obviously, my cGPA is an issue and sGPA is a little on the low side.

After re-takes are over in May (assuming all A's), here is where I will be sitting: 3.05cGPA, 3.49 sGPA, same MCAT as above. Assuming I get A's in re-takes, then my last 54 credit hours will be a 3.68. I will also be gutting my entire application and PS and start from scratch so I am not duplicating anything when I apply in June. I will also be attending KCUMB's 1 year MS in biomedical science program this coming fall, unless I get accepted to Touro-CA MHS program that has roughly a 100% acceptance rate for students getting into the COM.

Here are my extras:
-3 years full time employment as a behavioral tech in a mental health facility/hospital--> ~7500 hours
-Currently work in insurance full time for the past 2 years (not ideal but pays the bills)
-58 hours physician shadowing- 54 of which are DO shadowing and have my LOR from a DO

Finally, here is my list of schools that I would like to apply to: ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, DMU, PCOM-GA, PCOM, KCUMB (since I will be doing a bridge program here), Marian, PNWU, Touro NY & CA, VCOM-CC & VC, Western-Lebanon, UNECOM, Nova, RVU, & Rowan.

Once you get your retakes done and get that sGPA > 3.0, you'll be in a much more competitive spot. Apply broadly. And own the misdemeanors.
Thanks for the reply. My re-takes should land me a shade below a 3.5 sGPA but my cGPA will barely be above a 3.0 which is still worrisome. I am going to throw in a couple of more schools that aren't as big of a reach.

Members don't see this ad :)

Here are my extras:

Just out of curiosity, what was your misdemeanor for?

You can generalize it if you don't want to be specific.

It was a possession of alcohol but had 2 of them. One when I was 19 and the other when I was 20. So, 7-8 years ago. It was brought up in my interview at ACOM and I had an explanation for what I learned but just never put it down on paper.

If I re-apply in the beginning of June, will I be placed on a pre-interview hold everywhere when schools see that I will be doing a 1 year masters at KCUMB?