Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dacas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just want to know what do you think my chances are and what do you think about my list of schools and if I should add more.

I'm hispanic, fluent in spanish and english, FL resident, graduated from state school.

GPA 3.44, sGPA 3.44, MCAT 30.

Decent ECs: Scribe for over a year (1000+ hours), shadowed 2 doctors (300+ hours), leadership position for 2 years, volunteering in hospitals and fundraising for different organizations (500+ hours), some research (not lab research but like classroom research?), volunteered abroad in a mobile clinic, completed a year long teaching literacy to the poor program abroad.

Good LORs and I'm going to get a committee letter as well.

I'm trying to apply as early as possible (within the next few days) just trying to figure out my schools, this is what I have so far:

FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
Florida State University
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
University of Central Florida COM
University of Florida
The University of Miami School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
New York Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Quinnipiac University SOM
Drexel University College of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
The Commonwealth Medical College

I got FAP so 15 of these schools are free, I also want to apply to Boston University, Duke and Emory. Additionally, I'm applying to 3 DO schools, NOVA, LECOM in FL and PCOM. What do you think?

Regards

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was born here but my family is Ecuadorian and I lived in Ecuador until I was 18 then moved back here. I'm not an international student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which Hispanic community do you represent?
I was born here but my family is Ecuadorian and I lived in Ecuador until I was 18 then moved back here. I'm not an international student.

Ecuatorianos are not generally recognized to be under-represented in medicine (though language skills and cultural diversity are still a plus). I would therefore recommend that you delete U of WA. That said, your chances are quite good with that (somewhat lengthy) list.

Ecuatorianos are not generally recognized to be under-represented in medicine (though language skills and cultural diversity are still a plus). I would therefore recommend that you delete U of WA. That said, your chances are quite good with that (somewhat lengthy) list.
Thanks gyngyn. I know its lengthy, trying to remove a few schools. What did you think about the ones I would like to apply? BU, Emory and Duke? I consider them reach schools for me but some people have encouraged me to apply because of being hispanic (I know, not URM). According to MSAR, the 10th percentile MCAT score for all those 3 schools is 31 so I'm not sure if it would be a waste of time given that I got a 30.

Thanks gyngyn. I know its lengthy, trying to remove a few schools. What did you think about the ones I would like to apply? BU, Emory and Duke? I consider them reach schools for me but some people have encouraged me to apply because of being hispanic (I know, not URM). According to MSAR, the 10th percentile MCAT score for all those 3 schools is 31 so I'm not sure if it would be a waste of time given that I got a 30.
I am going to suggest that you delete these "reach" schools. Many people misunderstand what constitutes an under-represented group and give overly optimistic advice. As I look at Duke's stats, for example, I don't see any Ecuatorianos listed among the few Hispanics (7) they matriculated. Emory only had 2 Hispanics ( neither Ecuatoriano).

Last edited by a moderator: