Chance me? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7amsho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FINALLY TOOK MY DATs! please help me add schools as I already applied to Buffalo so my application would be processed, everything was ready last month and I have been waiting for my scores only.. so here are my numbers/info:

residency: NY
year: Junior, rising Senior
race/age: white/21
GPAs: oGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.43 BCP: 3.33
DAT: PAT: 23 QR: 21 RC: 20 Bio: 19 GC: 20 OC: 24 TS: 20 AA: 21
shadowing: 170 hours, 2 perio, 2 general, school clinic
community service: 500 hours, have been an present and vice in a community service frat
ECs: lots of leadership, service, a couple good rewards, dean's list twice (didn't list it on my app)
job: I tutor human physio, calc 1, 2, 3, and ethics, I also worked at a restaurant in my school (wiped tables)
research: regarding old people's oral hygiene and diseases with the chair of my dental school
Personal statement: I believed it's pretty good, had 10 drafts and got many people to look at it, not VERY UNIQUE, but not mainstream either
disadvantaged: I am a syrian immigrant (i have a green card), so I had a lot of things going on.. I left the country when the war started heating, became fully independent by the age of 19 and figure things on my own
languages: french, arabic, english
letters: committee which includes orgo professor (average letter, required for the committee), 2 dentists (really good), community service chair (awesome), research PI (pretty good), ethics professor (awesome)

FLAG: I was charged with a disorderly conduct and was found not responsible, I still reported it on my application.

I applied to Buffalo so far, and here are the schools that I am considering for now, please help me edit it. thank you :) :) I am kind of short on money and can't apply to more than 12, I was denied for the FAP because they told me I don't have to mention I have a green card, so I didn't, then they denied me because I don't have a green card -_-

-Stony Brook
-UConn
-Marquette
-Creighton
-Pittsburgh
-Case
-Louisville
-ASDOH

I removed Temple and Tufts because I emailed them about the science letters and they said they wanted 2 science professors, I have one and the second wouldn't be good (none know me, we have 300-400 students in each class), so I am just not gonna bother applying there

Please advice :) thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
tumblr_msricuXJGH1qb5wa3o1_500.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your life story will more than likely be the topic of your interviews. Adcoms just eat that stuff up, seriously. You have a great, holistic application considering your life path thus far. I second pp, thumbs up!

Reactions: 1 user
very good man you just need to told them at the interview about dean's list

You look like you really have your stuff together but I will warn you that Louisville wants 2 letters from science professors.

Louisville wants 2 letters from science professors.
thanks for the warning :) I emailed every single school from my list above + a couple more about the letters, and this is what Louisville told me:
"If you are submitting a committee evaluation, you would not need to submit any other letters." so I hope I am good to go

can you take an appointment with couple of science teacher in your college and explain to them your condition and let them know you more and like this you can get a letter of recommendation

@csudental unfortunately I won't be back to my school until August, I might actually do that, sounds like a good idea :) give it a shot anyways

btw can i know what is your undergraduate college ?

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you guys think of my new list?

-Buffalo (in-state)
-Stony Brook (in-state)
-Creighton
-UConn
-Pittsburgh
-Case
-Boston (back up)
-ASDOH (back up, and i have 500 volunteering hours)

what do you guys think of my new list?

-Buffalo (in-state)
-Stony Brook (in-state)
-Creighton
-UConn
-Pittsburgh
-Case
-Boston (back up)
-ASDOH (back up, and i have 500 volunteering hours)

I like.

How's your GPA and average DAT scores

Well, those are some scores. You have a chance at any of those schools.

@KineticFlow603 a combination of reasons made me remove it:
-state school, which means they like KY residents more than others
-the loans would be around $380k after the 4 years
-I don't really wanna live in KY

FINALLY TOOK MY DATs! please help me add schools as I already applied to Buffalo so my application would be processed, everything was ready last month and I have been waiting for my scores only.. so here are my numbers/info:

residency: NY
year: Junior, rising Senior
race/age: white/21
GPAs: oGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.43 BCP: 3.33
DAT: PAT: 23 QR: 21 RC: 20 Bio: 19 GC: 20 OC: 24 TS: 20 AA: 21
shadowing: 170 hours, 2 perio, 2 general, school clinic
community service: 500 hours, have been an present and vice in a community service frat
ECs: lots of leadership, service, a couple good rewards, dean's list twice (didn't list it on my app)
job: I tutor human physio, calc 1, 2, 3, and ethics, I also worked at a restaurant in my school (wiped tables)
research: regarding old people's oral hygiene and diseases with the chair of my dental school
Personal statement: I believed it's pretty good, had 10 drafts and got many people to look at it, not VERY UNIQUE, but not mainstream either
disadvantaged: I am a syrian immigrant (i have a green card), so I had a lot of things going on.. I left the country when the war started heating, became fully independent by the age of 19 and figure things on my own
languages: french, arabic, english
letters: committee which includes orgo professor (average letter, required for the committee), 2 dentists (really good), community service chair (awesome), research PI (pretty good), ethics professor (awesome)

FLAG: I was charged with a disorderly conduct and was found not responsible, I still reported it on my application.

I applied to Buffalo so far, and here are the schools that I am considering for now, please help me edit it. thank you :) :) I am kind of short on money and can't apply to more than 12, I was denied for the FAP because they told me I don't have to mention I have a green card, so I didn't, then they denied me because I don't have a green card -_-

-Stony Brook
-UConn
-Marquette
-Creighton
-Pittsburgh
-Case
-Louisville
-ASDOH

I removed Temple and Tufts because I emailed them about the science letters and they said they wanted 2 science professors, I have one and the second wouldn't be good (none know me, we have 300-400 students in each class), so I am just not gonna bother applying there

Please advice :) thank you!

Your background is way more unique than the average applicant; Use that to your advantage. Talk about how fleeing your country to escape political pressures and war times led you to choose dentistry. My father left Afghanistan while being enrolled in medical school due to the war, came to America, restarted his life from college and became a dentist; that's just my two cents for your personal statement.

@elhammy my whole disadvantaged applicant essay was about Syria, my personal statement was talking about 1/3 shadowing 1/3 research and 1/3 how i want to go on mission trips because of the Syrian war.. I can talk about it a lot more during interviews though!

i submitted my app and now I'm just hoping for the best! thanks everyone for your advice :)