Chance Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ganache_toe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's your residency? Because with those DAT scores, I can't believe Iowa put a hold on your app! You seem to have a strong app so maybe you just have to play the waiting game a little longer. (I know how hard that can be, though, because I'm getting antsy over here.)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a game of odds and you only applied to two schools, why?

Great stats otherwise.

I normally hate these chance me threads but this one is interesting. First of all how the hell did you only get a 22 in Math with a math minor!?

Anyway in my opinion you have a weird application because you have so many great things (Starting GPA, scholarship, publications, etc.) but a lot of weird negatives which I would consider a large impact (Lack of volunteering and relatively poor grades on your upper level sciences and Ws). Overall though I think your positives outweigh your negatives which leads you to a higher than average applicant. I think it is dependent upon which schools you chose since your application doesn't seem suited for schools with emphasis on volunteering so hopefully you chose more academic related schools.

First, @Weakfart, the comment about his math score is unnecessary. There are biology majors and chemistry majors who get 19s and 20s in "their" sections and people praise them. Not to mention, to those in math majors and minors, the math they study is in a different category all together. Stuff like differential equations and linear algebra, eigenvalues and F-tests. They haven't touched what's covered on the math portion of the DAT since 9th grade, again unlike the bio and chem majors who study that exact stuff literally months before. Don't be so quick to question others' potential or scores.

Second, to the OP, I think you have a good opportunity. As otherd have said, you have great stats, but there is the fact that its a game of odds and you only applied to 2 schools. Plus your lack of shadowing could set you back. But, overall, I think you are going to be fine. Keep your chin up.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a game of odds and you only applied to two schools, why?

Great stats otherwise.
I'd rather wait a year than spend thousands of dollars on 15+ applications. In my opinion, that's beyond idiotic.

What's your residency? Because with those DAT scores, I can't believe Iowa put a hold on your app! You seem to have a strong app so maybe you just have to play the waiting game a little longer. (I know how hard that can be, though, because I'm getting antsy over here.)
Residency is in Minnesota.

I'd rather wait a year than spend thousands of dollars on 15+ applications. In my opinion, that's beyond idiotic.

If the tuition is similar at other OOS schools compared to Iowa then why would you not spend the few thousand to increase your chances of getting in somewhere versus a year of lost wages as a dentist. Just curious, I could be missing something.

Also, you didn't make a 36 on the QR section.

"I got requests to tutor Math, Physics, Stats, Gen Chem, and Organic Chem, but I declined all because I dislike teaching unmotivated individuals."

????? to OP what is that comment about? not everyone who seeks tutoring is "unmotivated" in fact if they seek out tutoring that probably means they are motivated and trying to do better.

I am just curious how you knew that they put your application on hold and could not give you an interview yet.

If you're currently at UMN-TC, go talk to the dental program there and bring an update on how things are going. It can only help.
Going to echo the sentiment that applying to only two schools was probably not the best choice. I understand you want to save money, but it's cheaper in the long run to apply to 5-10 schools, including some safeties, than it is to just apply to two over and over again. After all, both schools are very good and Iowa's not particularly OOS friendly.