Chance Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WastedPremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm currently a Middle School teacher who graduated in 2014. I am thinking of applying to the next cycle for Dental School. My stats are as follows:

3.71 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA, 21 DAT.

Issues: Got C+'s in both Organic Chemistries (A's in Labs), and a C in Anatomy.

Other than that, I've shadowed quite a bit, and currently work as a volunteer for the Mission of Mercy Project at our school. I hope to become an orthodontist.

I was thinking of applying to the following schools

VCU, Boston, WVU, New York, UNC-Chapel Hill, University of Illinois-Chicago, Howard, University of South Carolina, UMD (Dream school), UPitt, Harvard, and UPenn.

Realistically what are my chances?

Caveat: I was premed for 4 years, but this past year I've been thinking Dental may be right for me and that's when I started shadowing and what not.

Members don't see this ad.

1st things first: Have you taken all the pre-reqs and any of the 'strongly recommended courses schools advise? like MicroBio, Immuno, Human A&P?

Is there a possible way for you to redo your Ochem classes? Those are pre-reqs and getting B's and A's in the is strongly recommended. Other than that you have a Superb GPA and a great DAT.

Could you possible re-take your orgo courses? If you apply early next year, you are Golden. Finish everything off by June and submit the application by end of June (if you can do it earlier all the power to you brother)

1st things first: Have you taken all the pre-reqs and any of the 'strongly recommended courses schools advise? like MicroBio, Immuno, Human A&P?

Is there a possible way for you to redo your Ochem classes? Those are pre-reqs and getting B's and A's in the is strongly recommended. Other than that you have a Superb GPA and a great DAT.

Could you possible re-take your orgo courses? If you apply early next year, you are Golden. Finish everything off by June and submit the application by end of June (if you can do it earlier all the power to you brother)

Yes, so after finishing my degree, I took Calculus I & II and got an A in both (took it at the University). Also I'm going to be taking Biochemistry and Immunology WHILE I am applying...is that bad?

And will a re-take help? I'd really rather not go through that, teaching is so tiring that studying for classes is hard, and getting those A's in Calc required a lot of willpower..

Also, do you know which schools I'd be competitive at?

Reactions: 1 user
You'd be competitive at all schools lol.
But seriously, Buy yourself the ADEA school guide and look at which schools accept lots of OOS students and which schools are within your GPA range (majority of schools are).

For example: Unless you are a Texas resident, applying to Texas schools is a waste of time. for Illinois applying to UIC or SIU is a complete waste of time since they do not accept OOS students. The trick is applying smartly and broadly. 'Howard' mostly accepts URM students. so applying there would be a long shot.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/08-ranking-of-dental-schools-based-on-dat-gpa.602109/

This is an old post but you can look at it and try narrowing some schools down.
MWU, NYU, BU , Tufts, would be great schools because they do not differ between OOS and In-state.

http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx. Here is the link to official guide.

Regarding your orgo re-take. Those are pre-reqs so they are highly looked at. But I would suggest calling up a couple of schools or asking this specific question again with a more definite title thread so that you can get more than one opinion.

But calling the schools and asking them is a more definite answer than I or other SDNers can give you