Chance Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishing4MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!
I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and wanted some feedback on my chances.

** 3.5 GPA
** 3.4 Science GPA
** No MCAT score yet but I've been averaging 27-30.
** Shadowed doctors in several specialties in the U.S
** Shadowed doctors in South America in a very very poor community clinic
** A lot of teaching experience as a math/science/reading/English tutor
** Founding member and VP/E-board member of 2 organizations geared towards minorities
** URM Female
** 8 months of research but it was more like bench work
** Was in a sorority for most of undergrad
** Have been involved in various community service projects within several medically-related organizations
** Have gone on Medical Missions
** Volunteered at Hospitals and camps for kids who are terminally ill
** Good letters of Rec
** Held a job for most of undergrad

Where do you think I stand?? Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!!
I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and wanted some feedback on my chances.

** 3.5 GPA
** 3.4 Science GPA
** No MCAT score yet but I've been averaging 27-30.
** Shadowed doctors in several specialties in the U.S
** Shadowed doctors in South America in a very very poor community clinic
** A lot of teaching experience as a math/science/reading/English tutor
** Founding member and VP/E-board member of 2 organizations geared towards minorities
** URM Female
** 8 months of research but it was more like bench work
** Was in a sorority for most of undergrad
** Have been involved in various community service projects within several medically-related organizations
** Have gone on Medical Missions
** Volunteered at Hospitals and camps for kids who are terminally ill
** Good letters of Rec
** Held a job for most of undergrad

Where do you think I stand?? Thank you in advance!!
Maybe you could be more specific about total US shadowing hours & specialties and timeframes of involvement and description of clinical volunteering and nonmedical community service?
What jobs have you held?
Do you have an upward grade trend lately, or have your grades been consistent throughout college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you could be more specific about total US shadowing hours & specialties and timeframes of involvement and description of clinical volunteering and nonmedical community service?
What jobs have you held?
Do you have an upward grade trend lately, or have your grades been consistent throughout college?

Sure! :)

1. About 200 shadowing hours in the U.S. Includes Anesthesiologist, Primary Care, General Surgeon, Oncologist specializing in breast cancer. Each were about 3 months. I would stay with them about 8 hours a day, sometimes multiple times per week. In S.A, it was mostly OB/GYN and Pediatrician.
2. Clinical Volunteering: Bed-Side buddy at hospital for about 5 months, Camp for I'll children for about 4 days/all day, within my sorority we would organize events and interact with people with anorexia nervosa and cystic fibrosis ( did that for about 4 years)
3. Non- medical: Work at food kitchens, was responsible for organizing an event with an organization I was in during a holiday to give kids presents, raise money for the homeless through the sorority.
4. Jobs: I've been a tutor almost all throughout college. I did it sometimes for free, but usually got paid. The companies I work for are part of the government and we tutor people with poor socioeconomic status( mostly hispanics). Parents can't afford it so the government provides the children whose parents have financial need with about 25 hours of free tutoring per child. Worked at my undergrad as a math and biology tutor and as a telemarketer trying to get alumni to donate money to the school. Worked with one of the tutoring companies going to different schools and trying to get parents to sign up for that particular company. Have also worked as a babysitter.
5. I graduated already but I brought my GPA up from a 3.37 to a 3.5 in about a year when I already had about 100 credits. ( during my last year as an undergrad). I only have 1 in Physics1, C in physics 2 lab, and C in physiology lab. Every other lab and class is A and B.

Sure! :)

1. About 200 shadowing hours in the U.S. Includes Anesthesiologist, Primary Care, General Surgeon, Oncologist specializing in breast cancer. Each were about 3 months. I would stay with them about 8 hours a day, sometimes multiple times per week. In S.A, it was mostly OB/GYN and Pediatrician.
2. Clinical Volunteering: Bed-Side buddy at hospital for about 5 months, Camp for I'll children for about 4 days/all day, within my sorority we would organize events and interact with people with anorexia nervosa and cystic fibrosis ( did that for about 4 years)
3. Non- medical: Work at food kitchens, was responsible for organizing an event with an organization I was in during a holiday to give kids presents, raise money for the homeless through the sorority.
4. Jobs: I've been a tutor almost all throughout college. I did it sometimes for free, but usually got paid. The companies I work for are part of the government and we tutor people with poor socioeconomic status( mostly hispanics). Parents can't afford it so the government provides the children whose parents have financial need with about 25 hours of free tutoring per child. Worked at my undergrad as a math and biology tutor and as a telemarketer trying to get alumni to donate money to the school. Worked with one of the tutoring companies going to different schools and trying to get parents to sign up for that particular company. Have also worked as a babysitter.
5. I graduated already but I brought my GPA up from a 3.37 to a 3.5 in about a year when I already had about 100 credits. ( during my last year as an undergrad). I only have 1 in Physics1, C in physics 2 lab, and C in physiology lab. Every other lab and class is A and B.
1) The shadowing is terrific.

2) You'll need to differentiate between activites that interacted with people having medical conditions as to whether they were patients benefiting from the activity in some therapeutic way, vs the activity being for people who just happened to have that medical condition.

3) & 4) All excellent.

5) Good rise.

Thanks Cat!! I appreciate the feedback!

Shadowed doctors, brought people in the poor communities clothes, toys and books for the children, band aids, medicine, toothbrushes. Stuff like that. We are going back in a few months but to a different place in S.A to give health seminars to the underprivileged communities in certain areas.

So, it sound like you didn't get in clinical experience by assisting the docs and nurses in caring for the patients, translating, by taking vital signs, or with health education talks for a specific condition (any of which would be clinical experience), but you can include the shadowing on your list with the US-based docs. And the rest would be mentioned under nonmedical community service.

So, it sound like you didn't get in clinical experience by assisting the docs and nurses in caring for the patients, translating, by taking vital signs, or with health education talks for a specific condition (any of which would be clinical experience), but you can include the shadowing on your list with the US-based docs. And the rest would be mentioned under nonmedical community service.

I did help doctors with vital signs and caring for patients ( mostly moms who just gave birth and their babies). I didn't need to translate because everyone spoke Spanish, and I speak Spanish as well.

I got my score back. I got a shameful 22. I looked up statistics and it still says I have a 42.6% chance of acceptance. That seems abnormally high for my score just because I'm Hispanic. Either way, can I get some feedback? If I do decide to take my chances and apply with that score, what schools should I look at? Thanks in advance!

** not an excuse, but I was working 40 hours a week throughout my entire prep. This will also point this out on my app.