Chance of Admission to Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckNut11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whomever can help -

I am currently in my third of five years at The Ohio State University and am majoring in Neuroscience with a focus in Optometry. I currently have a 3.4 GPA in the honors college but have struggled in Physics (C+ in Physics I and a current C+ in Physics II). I'm a student optician at a private practice and haven't taken my OAT yet, however, I was wondering if I am on a good track to get admitted into Optometry school. I am a founding father of a fraternity as well as a member of the pre-optometry club. I work at an optometry office about 20 hours a week to support my two-year-old son. Thank you for all of the input in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I also attended OSU and was accepted into OSU's College of Optometry this December. It is definitely okay to have a few Cs. To make up for them just try to keep your grades high in your other classes. I didn't have a stellar GPA, but I studied really hard for my OAT and did well and I had a lot of optometry extracurriculars. If you haven't joined Eyes on Health, you definitely should. They take a yearly trip called RAM where you get to learn how to use pretesting equipment and pretest for several hundred eye exams in one day! It was an awesome experience. You also get the opportunity to get trained for RealEyes, which teaches kids about eye health. The pre-optometry club was great too, but I would say some of my better experiences came from Eyes on Health. Also, you should meet with Justin Greist (assuming you want to go to OSU). He is an admissions rep and it definitely helps knowing him ahead of time when interview day comes! If you have any other questions about OSU's process feel free to ask! I just went through everything so things are still pretty fresh!