Chance of getting into Penn from waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emiko

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was put on the waitlist today =( However they did invite me for the revisit and I received some nice e-mails from the directors about how there's a good chance that candidates from this waitlist can get in. I am just wondering if any current MD/PhD students from Penn can comment on this? Should I still consider Penn as a possibility? I enjoyed my interview day very much and can see myself being a student there, but at the same time I do have offers from other top programs as well.. I just don't want to put myself under the situation where I put too much thoughts into attending Penn but eventually not get in and be upset. Does anyone know how many students were waitlisted & invited to go to the revisit? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The current practice at least in the MD program is to do tiered waitlists. Top of the first tier was essentially a delayed offer of admission based on historical trends, first tier gave a good shot, and anything lower was much more touch and go. If this is still the case, you can judge your chances somewhat based on the above. I believe only a selection of students from the first tier are invited to the MD preview, so based on this you have a decent shot.

If you are still interested in the program, and can afford to do the trip in terms of finances and time, I would recommend coming to the revisit to take a more in-depth look and get to know the program faculty better. Depending on how strongly interested you are, a letter of intent or interest to the MD-PhD program director can be helpful as well (of course, don't write anything you don't mean, and delay this till after the revisit if you want to look more closely).

All in all, I think you have a very decent chance, but not a guarantee. In many of the past years MD-PhD entering classes included people who were waitlisted. Don't know the exact numbers unfortunately. Hope that helps!

For much more, see this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728379&page=10

Last edited:
Word on the street is that if you're waitlisted but invited to Penn Preview and go, you've got an extremely high chance of getting in off the list. At least for MDs.

I'd say go to Penn Preview, and make it known how much you want to go to Penn if you really do. And good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol

what about people like me who just got the tier 1 but no second look?

Chances not as good, but not terrible. It's going to depend on the year and how much the waitlist moves. A LOI would help if Penn really is your top choice. I would treat it like a waitlist at any other program.