This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnwhmt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Currently finishing up my junior year at an average state school on the west coast. I will be applying to school June 2017 so I have a bit of time to fine tune my application. I'm hoping to get some input on any weaknesses.

FYI: I'm a somewhat non-trad, I'll be 25 when I apply. First person In my family to go to college. Female. White.

State of Residency: Washigton, also have very strong Oregon ties and Oregon Heritage
GPA: 4.0 science/3.9 cumulative
BS: Neuroscience
MCAT: Taking June 2017, planning to study for at least 3 months, assuming I'll do at least average (fingers crossed)

Research:
- Basic science research in neuro lab this summer, planning to continue throughout senior year
- Additionally working on some of the mathematical modeling for this project with calc professor who is my mentor
- Doubt publication by time of app, likely a few posters/presentations

Volunteering:
- Drug health service position at local organization in larger city, providing syringe exchange, HIV/Hepatitis C prevention and safer injection education for people who inject drugs (200 hrs at time of app)
- Dog walking/running at local humane society
- I organize blood drives at my school working with Red Cross through AMSA (100 hrs at time of app)

Clinical:
- Medical scribe, mainly working in adult ED but also in Pediatric ED and Urgent Care. Hoping to work with trauma docs once I'm more comfortable with the job (1500 hrs at time of app)

Leadership:
- No leadership experience at school
- 8 years of experience working with the public in food service as a waitress. 3 of these years were as the senior manager of a restaurant doing scheduling, finances, dealing with employee issues, etc

Misc:
- Received a summer grant from university for my research work
- Multiple STEM scholarships
- AMSA club board member at university
- Writer for school newspaper for 1 semester

*** Clear weaknesses I can see:
- I need shadowing hours in primary care, hoping for 50 by time of app
- I need to do at least average on the MCAT, certainly willing to put the work in

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: