Chances? 3.49 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 32S MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koopa Troopa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little bit about myself. I went to a top 15 school known for grade deflation. Psych major.

sGPA: 3.49, cGPA: 3.5
MCATS: V: 8, PS: 12, BS: 12, W: S

Some more about me.
22 yr old Asian, CA resident (didn't go to Cali undergrad school)

Academics:
Research on psychology: 2 years (~700 hrs), 1 publication (mix of paid/research for credit)

Shadowed physicians in psychiatry department (one of them was my PI, who wrote me a strong letter of rec): 3 years (~180 hrs)

Extracurriculars:
Tutored kids with learning disabilities: 3 years (~300 hrs)

Volunteer at housing project for HIV+ residents: 1 semester (~60 hrs) - discontinued due to issues with transportation.

Leadership:
Treasurer/President - Group for tutoring kids with learning disabilities
Treasurer/Secretary - AIDS Awareness group

I would like to stay in Cali. I'm applying broadly to 26 schools. What would be my chances for the UCs and USC? I'm worried about the 8 in verbal. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The 8 in verbal is going to hurt you, no doubt about it. You definitely have good chances of getting in somewhere, but the UC schools are pretty tough, and might screen you out with an 8. Hard to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've gotten secondaries so far from UCI, UCD, and UCLA. still waitin on UCSD UCSF. dunno if it means much. could be because they need money to cover UC budget cuts?

i've gotten secondaries so far from UCI, UCD, and UCLA. still waitin on UCSD UCSF. dunno if it means much. could be because they need money to cover UC budget cuts?

UCSD & UCSF both screen hard. You may not get secondaries from them. I didn't when I applied last year & my stats and EC's are relatively similar to yours, although I have a more balanced MCAT (35 with at least a 10 in each section)

Apply broadly that's all I can say and be prepared to go out of state if you have to. I was reluctant to for family reasons last year, and as a result, I have to reapply again this year because I didn't get off any of my UC waitlists (UCI & UCLA). I'm not going to make the same mistake again.

Good luck.