Chances? 3.6 GPA, 29 MCAT,Michigan Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umadeviv5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what my chances are for getting into an allopathic school for the class of 2012. I am a Asian female (US Citizen), Michigan resident. Basically, I am wondering which schools I may have a chance at if I apply.

Major: Psychology & Interdisciplinary Studies (Honors)
Minors: Health Promotion & Bioethics,
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 29P (VR:11, PS:9, BS:9, W:p)

I have done 1000 hours of Psych Lab research which is not medically related but certainly a good experience. I have mentored middle school science students, worked in a clinic helping veterans. I have also been a Psych undergraduate TA and also a RA for Summer Science camps for 2 years at MSU.

I would appreciate any input and advice on my situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you thought about retaking the MCAT? That is the main thing holding back your application for an MD acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
umadeviv5,

Extrapolating from AAMC stats tables, those with 3.6/29 had about a 40ish% chance of an allopathic acceptance. Any chance of increasing your cGPA and MCAT score before application time?

If you don't have some physician shadowing, it would be good to add that to your ECs.

yes. I am planning on Physician shadowing this winter break but I am not planning on taking MCAT again. What are my chances for DO schools and MD/Lower tier schools?Please let me know.

Based exclusively on stats, you are a competitive applicant for DO schools (avg DO matriculant: ~26 MCAT, 3.43 cGPA, 3.3X sGPA, from what I remember), especially if you apply early (AACOMAS opens up May 1st, and the earliest you can submit is June 1st).

But since you are a MI resident - you would probably be competitive at your state's allopathic schools (besides UMich) - MSU CHM, Wayne State U, and Oakland U (new MD school). I would also consider MSU-COM, since it is arguably one of the best DO schools. In terms of lower tier MD schools, I would look at Wright State U, Med College of Ohio, Commonwealth Medical College (PA), Eastern VA Medical School, Marshall U (WVa), Howard, Meharry, and Mercer. Finally, it seems that you are an MSU undergraduate - I would try to meet some of the admissions counselors at the CHM there and maybe even do some research with a med school faculty member for a year or two if you can before you apply (may not be possible for the upcoming cycle). Def throw in a couple of more competitive schools too, like Virginia Commonwealth, GWU, Univ of Vermont.

Good luck!
~Tarun

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great help and relief. I have one more question.Although my science GPA is 3.5 - one semester I was sick with swine flu and I got 2.5 in BIO 1 and ORGO 1.But I managed 4.0 in ORGO 2 and BIO 2. Please let me know this low GPA will effect my admission into MD/DO schools. If so how should I mitigate this. Please let me know.

I'd agree with srivatarun that your chances at DO are very good.

Since you got a C+ in Bio I and Ochem I, following those grades with As in the second classes of the series, I think you've redeemed the impression the lower grades give and they are not a bar to acceptance. And you have a good explanation if asked. There is no reason for a retake.

Once again thanks.
If I am accepted to DO schools how does it effect my future/career/residency?. My assumption is there no difference between MD and DO.Is this a true statement?.

Read through the Pre-Med Osteopathic Forum and look at their stickies for an in-depth answer to this question. Pretty much, DO=MD out in the real world. MDs don't learn the manual medicine techniques, but most DOs that learn them don't use them in practice, anyway. Interestingly, Harvard has a postgraduate course teaching these techniques so MDs can add them to their toolbox if they wish. No specialty or subspecialty is closed to DOs, provided one's grades and COMLEX/USMLE scores are competitive. Both MD and DO have high rates of graduation and residency matching.

I am thinking of taking of coaching from Inquarta.com or Dr.Eaton(Prehealthadvising) on admission process. I am debating the advantages of this program and not sure whether these programs will help me in getting into MD/DO schools. Please advise.

Thanks for the reply. I will try there. Here is another question. I have lot of high school volunteer exp. Can I mention that exp in med college application?.And also what is a postbac program? Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is another question. I have lot of high school volunteer exp. Can I mention that exp in med college application?.And also what is a postbac program? Please let me know.
HS experiences are generally not listed unless they continued into the college years. Another way to mention them, though, is to refer to it in your Primary Statement as part of the reason you decided on medicine.

Postbaccalaureate refers to coursework taken after you receive your bachelors degree.

SDN has a forum dedicated to discussing formal postbac programs further down on the forum list.

I have completed Bio 1 , 2 & Biochem. I am trying to apply in 2011 June but I may not able to finish upper level science courses. In my college all the claases are filled out for Spring semester. Can I apply in 2011 June saying that I will finish the courses in my senior year. I may be able to finish one in summer.Please let me know.

Yes. I did complete Bio Chem, phy and Gen Chem. I am planning to take physiology in 2011 summer before applying to med school and Mol Biology in senior year. Please let me know.

You can list future planned coursework on the application so that schools know you will get it in. This is a good idea since many med school require or strongly recommend certain upper-level Bio classes and Biochem. Your final transcript prior to matriculation will prove you satisfied any requirements.

I got an opportunity to shadow a PA. Should I go ahead and shadow?. And also is this will help me in my app to Med school as EC?. Please let me know.

I think your MCAT and GPA are fine. My stats are very similar to yours. I have a BBA in Management and did my post bac pre-reqs at CC. So far I've been accepted to MSU and am on the waitlist at WSU. You mentioned shadowing a PA. Are you not 100% sure about medical school?

You have really good odds of getting into MSU's CHM.

I got an opportunity to shadow a PA. Should I go ahead and shadow?. And also is this will help me in my app to Med school as EC?. Please let me know.
It´s OK to include PA shadowing on the list of those you shadowed on a med school application, but you should still look for physicians, DO or MD, to shadow as well before you submit your application.

I went to a MD Doctor for shadowing but she sent me back saying it is against to the rules.She thought that I am a current medical student and that is the reason she accepted me for shadowing.Once she realisesd that I am a Under grad she asked me to leave.Is shadowing is against the rules?

Just out of curiosity...What hospital was the doctor affiliated with?

Based exclusively on stats, you are a competitive applicant for DO schools (avg DO matriculant: ~26 MCAT, 3.43 cGPA, 3.3X sGPA, from what I remember), especially if you apply early (AACOMAS opens up May 1st, and the earliest you can submit is June 1st).

But since you are a MI resident - you would probably be competitive at your state's allopathic schools (besides UMich) - MSU CHM, Wayne State U, and Oakland U (new MD school). I would also consider MSU-COM, since it is arguably one of the best DO schools. In terms of lower tier MD schools, I would look at Wright State U, Med College of Ohio, Commonwealth Medical College (PA), Eastern VA Medical School, Marshall U (WVa), Howard, Meharry, and Mercer. Finally, it seems that you are an MSU undergraduate - I would try to meet some of the admissions counselors at the CHM there and maybe even do some research with a med school faculty member for a year or two if you can before you apply (may not be possible for the upcoming cycle). Def throw in a couple of more competitive schools too, like Virginia Commonwealth, GWU, Univ of Vermont.

Good luck!
~Tarun

I have to agree with him on this one. Definitely apply to WSU and MSU. Also I would apply to some "lower tier schools"(which isn't necessarily true). Good luck!

Cheers

I am preparing my resume and I am looking for a good resume sample/template. I looked at one ot two samples online but I didn't like any.Can you please help me on this?.Thanks in advance.

I am not able to shadow D.O/MD prmary care physicians.I did shadow a Rhumatologist @Univ of Mich hospital for two weeks around 30hrs. how to get in touch with DO/MD doctors?Please let me know.

I am not able to shadow D.O/MD prmary care physicians.I did shadow a Rhumatologist @Univ of Mich hospital for two weeks around 30hrs. how to get in touch with DO/MD doctors?Please let me know.
Besides asking docs you meet while gaining clinical experience, you can also ask your own physician, those of family members or parents' of friends. Some will ask their premed advisor if there is a list of local docs willing to be shadowed, or will even cold call local doctors' offices and ask for an opportunity.

To find a DO, I've read that the American Osteopathic Asociation has a mentoring program where they help you find a DO to shadow. I've seen posts about this in Pre-Med Osteo you could Search for.

I would like to apply to MSUCHM /MSUCOM this year.
I have completed 2 Upper level Biology classes (Physiology & Genetics).
I am planning to take 2 more Upper level Biology classes in this summer.
I would like to know whether 2 upper level Biology classes are enough/competent to apply to MSUCHM/MSUCOM in 2011 May /June.Please let me know

I have completed 2 Upper level Biology classes (Physiology & Genetics). I would like to know whether 2 upper level Biology classes are enough/competent to apply to MSUCHM/MSUCOM in 2011 May /June.P

COM - Upper-level science requirements are genetics and biochem (3 hrs of each)
CHM - No upper-level science requirement, just strong recommendations ("CHM strongly encourages applicants to take additional, upper-level courses in biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, genetics, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, and physiology.")

Sources:
COM (http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/requirements.html)
CHM (http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/handbook/sections/academic_prep.php#academic)

I need Science Prof recommendation letter and Anthropology (ANP 471)Prof agreed to give a LOR. But I am not sure whether Anthropology can be considered as a science subject and this LOR is valid as Sci Prof LOR. Please let me know.

I was wondering what my chances are for getting into an osteopathic school for the class of 2012. I am a Asian female (US Citizen), Michigan resident. Basically, I am wondering which DO schools I may have a chance at if I apply.

I have done 1000 hours of Psych Lab research,MD & DO physician shadowing, Volunteered at ER, Participated in Medical Brigades to Honduras. I have mentored middle school science students, worked in a clinic helping veterans. I have also been a Psych undergraduate TA and also a RA for Summer Science camps for 2 years at MSU.

Why don't you apply to an MD school? Your credentials look really good, even though I am only a junior in undergrad I would say that you have a shot at most if not all the DO schools.

I was wondering what my chances are for getting into an osteopathic school for the class of 2012. I am a Asian female (US Citizen), Michigan resident. Basically, I am wondering which DO schools I may have a chance at if I apply.

I have done 1000 hours of Psych Lab research,MD & DO physician shadowing, Volunteered at ER, Participated in Medical Brigades to Honduras. I have mentored middle school science students, worked in a clinic helping veterans. I have also been a Psych undergraduate TA and also a RA for Summer Science camps for 2 years at MSU.

I understand where you're at because I had very similar stats except my cGPA and sGPA were switched. You are right on that border of MAYBE getting accepted to MD schools. I would def apply to both MD and DO. As a Michigan resident, I would definitely apply to Michigan State MD and DO. I think your stats are good enough to get you looked anywhere.

DO Wise I'd apply to these schools:
Mich St
CCOM
PCOM
Western
NYCOM
NOVA
OSU-COM (yes, huge instate bias, however I got in :) )
TCOM (if you are willing to do a separate application)

Hi
I am trying to fill out DO Application and then I saw this ----
"Were you ever the recipient of any action for unacceptable academic performance, or were you ever the recipient of any action for conduct violations by any college or school? "*

I am not sure whether I should say yes or no.
In High School -I copied part of an online source and paraphrased it but forgot to reference it. For this I was caught for Plagiarism in a Spanish paper and my counselor informed the colleges in his letter. Except that they did not take any action on me. So my question is should I say yes or no for this question. Please let me know.

Last edited:
Hi
I am trying to fill out DO Application and then I saw this ----
"Were you ever the recipient of any action for unacceptable academic performance, or were you ever the recipient of any action for conduct violations by any college or school? "*

I am not sure whether I should say yes or no.
In High School - I copied part of an online source and then paraphrased it but forgot to reference it. For this I was caught for Plagiarism in a Spanish paper and my counselor informed the colleges in his letter. Except that they did not take any action on me. So my question is should I say yes or no for this question. Please let me know.

Last edited:
What are my chances at Wayne state and UofM. I am not sure whether to apply or not at these two schools. Please let me know.

Last edited:
And also - In AMCAS - I am not finding these schools where I would like to apply.
Sunny Down state,
Univ of New England
Brody school of med,NC
Please let me know how to apply to these schools.
SUNY Downstate is listed as "State University of New York Downstate..."
Univ of New England is a DO school. You will find it on AACOMAS
I also don't see East Carolina listed. That is weird. Maybe someone else knows why
[ETA: Why are you trying to apply to East Carolina anyway? They only accept in-state applicants. Perhaps this is why it doesn't show up for us, since we're not from NC]

Last edited:
What are my chances at Wayne state and UofM. Since I am a MI resident - I am not sure whether to apply or not at these two schools. Please let me know.