Chances? 3.60 GPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkong2034

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm putting together my application and was wondering what my chances were at getting into the schools I listed in my application. Advice would be great, as I'd like to save money on schools that would be near impossible to get accepted. First, some background:

New Jersey Resident, graduated from University of Pittsburgh last year, currently working as a research tech in Mt. Sinai Hospital.
GPA: 3.60 GPA, 3.40 science GPA
MCAT: 30 (11/8/11); last score was 29 (11/6/12), fixed my verbal score a little.
Volunteer (Clinical): 100+ hours at UPMC Cancer Center. 30 hours at Anesthesia Workroom. Will be working at the Mt. Sinai Children's Hospital this summer.
Volunteer (Non-clinical): 80+ hours at a homeless outreach handing lunches and providing basic healthcare for the homeless in Pittsburgh.
Leadership: Undergraduate TA for 2 semesters, started a mentor/mentee program for Asian American Pitt students, student leader in Christian organization.
Shadowing: 150+ hours of shadowing in Beijing local clinics, 30+ hours in Mt. Sinai pediatric liver unit.
Research: 1 semester in freshmen year. Realized this was weak, so now working as a full-time research tech since December. No papers published though.

Schools:

Reach:
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
U of I, Chicago
Robert Wood Johnson
Rutgers NJMS
Rush
SUNY Downstate
Virginia Tech
Hofstra
Florida State

Target:
Albany
Cooper Rowan
Drexel
NYMC
Commonwealth
Michigan State
Quinnipiac
Neomed
Boonshoft

Also additional schools would be appreciated too, and I'm sticking to MD as of now because I don't have anything to show for a DO school instead of an MD school. Safety schools would be DOs for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For MD you could add Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton, Tulane. Apply to 10 or more DO schools since there is no guarantee of MD admission with your stats.

Apply to DO schools as well. I applied with very similar stats last cycle:
30 MCAT (10/9/11)
very good EC's (analogous hours of shadowing and volunteerism)
Research/TAing

I applied 11 MD programs: Wait-listed at UMD and EVMS.
Applied to 11 DO's: Interview offers at almost all of them (declined most interviews tho).
Accepted two interviews at LECOM and PCOM.
Was accepted at both.
My applications were submitted in July to all my schools and I completed my secondaries within a week of getting them (Although--I wish I would have completed them quicker).

PM me for any additional questions!

Agree with the posts above! Especially with Faha's list of MD schools you should add. As for DO, I can't suggest LECOM as a school to apply to unless that is a last resort....fairly religious institution with a dress code and very low average admitted applicant stats. For target DO schools definitely apply to Midwestern and MSU (if affordable), those are DO schools I would consider going to over some MD schools even. Add other quality DO schools as well.