MD & DO chances? 3.8cGPA/3.7sGPA/503

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sourpatchkid247

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am currently looking into medical schools to apply for in the spring, and I could use any advice/suggestions. I am most concerned about my MCAT score (122..) but I'm not entirely keen on retaking it. I bet I could improve my score, but the best score I had ever gotten on a practice test was ~506/507. Here is some information about myself:

-graduating this year from a top UC
-Human Biology and Society with focus on Medicine and Public Health (a new and somewhat competitive major)
-3.8 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA
-503 MCAT (127 chem, 122 cars, 125 bio, 129 psych)
-700hr+ nonclinical volunteer experience
-100hr clinical volunteer
-medical trip in a rural country
-director of a non-profit organization
-internship working with people with dementia
-research assistant
-work at a coffee place on campus
-other ECs such as chorus and IM sports
-Caucasian American female

So, should I take a shot this cycle, or would it be a waste with my MCAT?
If I go for it, what would be a good list for me? DO schools? Thanks in advance for any help!

UCD
UCI
UCR
UCSD
UCLA
Loma Linda
USC
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Howard
Emory
Boston U
Tufts
U Mass
Albany
Albert Einstein
NY MC
NYU
U of Rochester
SUNY- Upstate NY
UNC Chapel Hill
Drexel
Vanderbuilt
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is reaaaally low for MD. Many schools will automatically screen you for being <125 in CARS. With that MCAT everything except some low level DOs would be out of reach. Luckily, MCAT is easier to fix than most parts of Yor app, and the rest of your package looks very strong.

Take a couple months to study hard, retake when you can consistently put up at least 508 on practice, then apply with the improved score. Apply broadly to DO and Invest in MSAR to see how your stats compare to MD schools. I can tell you with that MCAT you have no business applying to the vast majority of schools on your list...hell Vandy's avg MCAT is like a 37 lol

Reactions: 1 users
For MD schools, you're circling the drain. You might have some luck at Loma Linda (but read thier list of don'ts.

Retake the exam if you're boning for MD schools. Are you aware that you're the 10th %ile for nearly all the schools on your list?

Are you aware that Howard is HBC?

If you have MSAR, pay very careful attention to the "Acceptance Information" pages.

So, should I take a shot this cycle, or would it be a waste with my MCAT?
If I go for it, what would be a good list for me? DO schools? Thanks in advance for any help!

UCD
UCI
UCR
UCSD
UCLA
Loma Linda
USC
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Howard
Emory
Boston U
Tufts
U Mass
Albany
Albert Einstein
NY MC
NYU
U of Rochester
SUNY- Upstate NY
UNC Chapel Hill
Drexel
Vanderbuilt
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush

Members don't see this ad :)
The bigger issue than your overall MCAT score(a 3.8/503 on itself is competitive for most DO schools and some MDs in the right state) is the 122 in CARs. That'll get screened out at a large number of schools and I'm guessing DO's included.

If you don't have confidence you can do much better then don't retake. Focus on DO programs. If after an application cycle you still cant find someone to bite(and I think you have a fair shot with a broad and early DO app) then start thinking about the retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools don't care about your practice tests, btw.

I disagree with some other posters here. I know a few people with low MCATs 500-504 that got into good DO schools. Luckily, DO schools care more about your entire application. Make a good case for yourself and why you should be a doctor, and you'll be alright.

I disagree with some other posters here. I know a few people with low MCATs 500-504 that got into good DO schools. Luckily, DO schools care more about your entire application. Make a good case for yourself and why you should be a doctor, and you'll be alright.
OP hasn't list one DO school!

Yes a 500-504 is normal to get into DO programs but that isn't the issue, the issue is the CA section of OPs MCAT.

A 122 on a section is equivalent to around a 5. That's really really low even for DO programs. I don't think a personal statement that makes a good case for why you want to be a doctor would do anything. DO programs are forgiving but not to the extent of accepting anyone with a good PS.

I would suggest a retake OP before applying, anything below a 7-8 in a section for DO schools already raises eyebrows so a five is red flag without a doubt.

Your MCAT is reaaaally low for MD. Many schools will automatically screen you for being <125 in CARS. With that MCAT everything except some low level DOs would be out of reach. Luckily, MCAT is easier to fix than most parts of Yor app, and the rest of your package looks very strong.

Take a couple months to study hard, retake when you can consistently put up at least 508 on practice, then apply with the improved score. Apply broadly to DO and Invest in MSAR to see how your stats compare to MD schools. I can tell you with that MCAT you have no business applying to the vast majority of schools on your list...hell Vandy's avg MCAT is like a 37 lol

Really low level DO schools is just not true. She is in the realm of NSU, KCOM, and PCOM. Some of the older private schools with solid rotation sites. Problem is she needs to retake because the verbal would for sure get her screened from PCOM. Not sure about kcom or nsu. Just retake. It's alot easier to fix a 5 on verbal than an 8 unless English is not her first language

Really low level DO schools is just not true. She is in the realm of NSU, KCOM, and PCOM. Some of the older private schools with solid rotation sites. Problem is she needs to retake because the verbal would for sure get her screened from PCOM. Not sure about kcom or nsu. Just retake. It's alot easier to fix a 5 on verbal than an 8 unless English is not her first language

Yea the reason I said only low level DO was because a 122 (like a 5) in CARS is gonna be nearly damning everywhere. I know nova says you need at least a 7 on every section (and a 21 overall if I recall).

Wow, thank you all for your candid advice!

I'll admit, the schools I listed were not thoughtfully conceived since I don't have the MSAR yet-- just ideas I threw out to get a response. I would definitely consider applying to DO schools as well!

I agree that my CARS score is pretty distressing (which is why I made a post in the first place). I actually consider myself to be quite apt in verbal skills and have received excellent grades in all of my advanced writing classes... however I've always had testing anxiety. My biggest struggle was probably having to read from a computer screen for 6+ hours. While I can read and comprehend print pretty fast, the screen was a big challenge for my eyes and brain. Still, I think the 122 was a fluke and I can get a 125 or 126 if I give it another go...And perhaps in re-prepping for it I would bump up another section as well....so maybe a 508-510 is possible...

Alright, so let's say I can get a 509ish (same 3.8 gpa). If I sign up to retake the MCAT on May 20th or June 2nd, would this be adequate time for schools to consider my newer score if I apply this cycle? Would this up my game for MD schools?