Chances after failing COMLEX PE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melramah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I failed Comlex 2 PE. retaking it in Sept.
COMLEX I >650
COMLEX II > 570
USMLE 1 > 250
USMLE 2 pending.
I was hoping to match in an ACGME Radiology program, is this unrealistic now because of the PE?

Members don't see this ad.

COMLEX I >650
COMLEX II > 570
USMLE 1 > 250
USMLE 2 pending.
I was hoping to match in an ACGME Radiology program, is this unrealistic now because of the PE?

This sh** has to stop. People with these stats should not be failing PE. No one should fail PE. We should get feedback unless you do something egregious. #revolutionagainstPE

Reactions: 1 users
This sh** has to stop. People with these stats should not be failing PE. No one should fail PE. We should get feedback unless you do something egregious. #revolutionagainstPE

What? How could you insinuate that you want a DO practicing medicine without knowing how to do a full focused visit with a large history and then OMM all in one visit in 14 minutes? Next you'll be claiming that not being able to juggle piranhas is not a valuable and essential part of medical education.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What? How could you insinuate that you want a DO practicing medicine without knowing how to do a full focused visit with a large history and then OMM all in one visit in 14 minutes? Next you'll be claiming that not being able to juggle piranhas is not a valuable and essential part of medical education.

You mean aquatic myofascial release? Obviously that's an essential part of the DO process.

OP retake as early as you can confidently pass. The earlier the better. If you can get in a pass by Oct, you should still be able to land interviews. Given this, I'd also apply AOA Rads too just as a backup and also consider an ACGME backup if you're interested. It sucks, the PE is ridiculous and this is the last thing you should have to worry about right now, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually passed the biomedical domain, scored proficient on OMT. It was the Humanistic domain, no explanation whatsoever in the score letter.
I appreciate the sarcasm though. still a failure/Obstacle that might hurt my chances a lot

Last edited:
You mean aquatic myofascial release? Obviously that's an essential part of the DO process.

OP retake as early as you can confidently pass. The earlier the better. If you can get in a pass by Oct, you should still be able to land interviews. Given this, I'd also apply AOA Rads too just as a backup and also consider an ACGME backup if you're interested. It sucks, the PE is ridiculous and this is the last thing you should have to worry about right now, but it is what it is.
Thank you. I was debating the AOA Radiology, I guess i will give it a shot too. Sadly i am retaking it Sept 2nd, but the current score release dates, I am looking at Nov.

Thank you. I was debating the AOA Radiology, I guess i will give it a shot too. Sadly i am retaking it Sept 2nd, but the current score release dates, I am looking at Nov.

You might get the results back a bit earlier. Sept 2nd isn't too bad. Keep checking and seeing if dates open up.

AOA Rads isn't bad in some places, and at least you'll have something to fall back on if things aren't great on the ACGME side.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

I actually passed the biomedical domain, scored proficient on OMT. It was the Humanistic domain, no explanation whatsoever in the score letter.
I appreciate the sarcasm though. still a failure/Obstacle that might hurt my chances a lot

What does the score report look like? Is it similar to the Level 1/2 score report with bars and everything? I'm worried that I failed the humanism domain too. I don't think I asked enough open-ended questions and apparently that is a factor in the humanism (or so I heard?).

I guess the docs that graduated in the <2000s don't know how to do that... That test is a scam!

I guess the docs that graduated in the <2000s don't know how to do that... That test is a scam!

I found it funny that the chairwomen of the NBME claimed she wouldn't be comfortable with a doctor practicing without passing step 2cs and yet she didn't.

Reactions: 8 users
COMLEX I >650
COMLEX II > 570
USMLE 1 > 250
USMLE 2 pending.

Hi,
I am in a similar boat score-wise and am terrified that I won't match or get any interviews... Did you match?

I've taken it again and passed.
Were there certain places that were more forgiving about one mistake?... Did you write about it in your personal statement?

It is not a fair world because a number of programs will screen you out with a PE Fail. Before you apply, my recommendation is that you look at every program's website for a disclaimer like this:

Requirements for applicants are as follows:

• COMLEX 1, score must be at least 450 or above on first attempt

• COMLEX 2, score must be at least 450 or above on first attempt

• COMLEX PE, pass on first attempt
or

• USMLE Step 1, score must be at least 215 or above on first attempt

• USMLE Step 2, score must be at least 215 or above on first attempt

• USMLE Clinical Skills, pass on first attempt
To ensure match success, you need to be a strategic applicant. Apply for reach, target and safety programs and specialities. I've seen both MD and DO students not match due to application strategies which are not well thought out. And lastly, my recommendation is that you don't even address the PE fail in your personal statement unless you have a very compelling story.

Last edited:
i matched this year in EM with a failed comlex pe. i know it isn't rads, but it should give you hope. i spoke about it in my personal statement and it came up a few times in interviews. should be fine as long as the rest of your app is solid (which it looks like it is)

i matched this year in EM with a failed comlex pe. i know it isn't rads, but it should give you hope. i spoke about it in my personal statement and it came up a few times in interviews. should be fine as long as the rest of your app is solid (which it looks like it is)

how did you address it in your personal statement?

i failed the pe and want to do EM