chances after poor gpa freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldcore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting on these forums and I just received my grades for this semester. I Should also note I am enrolled at a CC for financial reasons and am taking my general ed classes there.

My first semester I did terrible, I failed three classes, a remedial math class, psychology, and a FYE class, got Cs in english and history and got a B+ in my Gen Bio class which is the only good thing I came out with. I got a 1.8 GPA for my first semester mainly due to me not caring and being lazy. At the time I did not really have any direction and was still trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life.

My second semester I performed much better. I began to take and interest in biology as I did really good in my first class and the subject itself just greatly interest me. Then when I got the idea in my head that I can become a doctor it was the first time I really felt like I found something I would like to do the rest of my life. To learn how the human body works and how to cure it sounds amazing to me.:love:

With all that I am now taking school much more seriously. I recieved a A in my Bio and history class. B+ in a computer elective, a B in a speech and sociology class. With that said I received a 3.5 this semester which averages my GPA for freshman year to a 2.6.:( I am taking the remedial math class again this summer as I need to greatly brush up on my math skills.

I have a very good upward grade trend but I am curious just how hard it will be these next three years to become competitive to get into medical school. I really beat myself up when I think about how poorly I did my first semester and how I pretty much shot my GPA in the foot. Do I need to come out of each semester now with a 4.0 GPA to even be considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

This is my first time posting on these forums and I just received my grades for this semester. I Should also note I am enrolled at a CC for financial reasons and am taking my general ed classes there.

My first semester I did terrible, I failed three classes, a remedial math class, psychology, and a FYE class, got Cs in english and history and got a B+ in my Gen Bio class which is the only good thing I came out with. I got a 1.8 GPA for my first semester mainly due to me not caring and being lazy. At the time I did not really have any direction and was still trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life.

My second semester I performed much better. I began to take and interest in biology as I did really good in my first class and the subject itself just greatly interest me. Then when I got the idea in my head that I can become a doctor it was the first time I really felt like I found something I would like to do the rest of my life. To learn how the human body works and how to cure it sounds amazing to me.:love:

With all that I am now taking school much more seriously. I recieved a A in my Bio and history class. B+ in a computer elective, a B in a speech and sociology class. With that said I received a 3.5 this semester which averages my GPA for freshman year to a 2.6.:( I am taking the remedial math class again this summer as I need to greatly brush up on my math skills.

I have a very good upward grade trend but I am curious just how hard it will be these next three years to become competitive to get into medical school. I really beat myself up when I think about how poorly I did my first semester and how I pretty much shot my GPA in the foot. Do I need to come out of each semester now with a 4.0 GPA to even be considered?

Hi there,

Do the best you can. Medical schools take into account more than just grades. You have to show other skills like: dedication to helping the community, having strong team work, leadership, innovations, interest in biomedical research. HOWEVER, primary screening for medical schools have cut offs for grades. So yes, do the best you can for your grades (particularly your science courses) and after your finishing your second year, get ready for the MCAT and do well in there.

I can't give a good evaluation of you as a person who is fit for the medical field with academic stats as there is so much more to it than grades. But keep up with that upward trend. I am pretty sure schools don't have cut offs at a 3.9 GPA so you will be fine, just get out of the 2-3.0 range and get into the 3.3-3.9 range if you want to get in somewhere.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ace everything from here on in and you'll be fine. Show us the first year was a fluke.

Hello,

thanks for the help guys I am hoping I can pull this gpa up over the next few years im just a little worried about how well I can do as I know I can do very well in school but to get As in nearly every class is not something you can just surely say youll be able to do.

With that said I do have some ECs atm such as working at a soup kitchen every few months, helping clean up a stretch of highway that we adopted and am also active in a boy scout troop that I earned my Eagle scout through. With school and working 30+ hours a week tho its not easy to have lots of ECs

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm starting sophmore year with a 2.5. I used a gpa calculator and I need all A's to get up to a 3.4 - 3.5. Its an uphill battle but its worth a try. Good luck to both of us :)

Sent from my C5155 using SDN Mobile

Study that material like your life depends on it. If you truly want to get into medical school you can do it. Its not too late. Medical schools like seeing upward trends. If you can get nearly all A's (and a few B's) from here on out I still think you will have a good shot despite your dismal current GPA. You need to modify your studying strategy. It could take studying 8 hours a day every day for the whole semester. It could mean staying in every single weekend and cramming Ochem reactions into your head while your friends are out having fun. If you really want it you can do it but I think it will take some serious changes in the way that you go about your studies.

Most med schools really look for much more than just grades. Of course, keeping working as hard as you possibly can (because it would be a shame to not have your application looked at due to screening), but sophomore year is still very early on on your path to medical school. Keep up your grades, get involved various ECs you truly enjoy and will want to keep doing for a long time, and don't forget that medical schools are most interested in the person you are at application time (aka your junior/senior years) and how far you have come in those 3-4 years will be seen favorably. It's never too late, if you want it bad enough you will get it! :D

Thank you very much for the support guys. I know it is going to be a hard battle but I truely think I have found my calling in life and is more than worth the fight. In the end what ever happens all I can do is say I tried my hardest right?

Thank you very much for the support guys. I know it is going to be a hard battle but I truely think I have found my calling in life and is more than worth the fight. In the end what ever happens all I can do is say I tried my hardest right?

Most definitely, I think as you progress through your undergraduate you will start to discover more and more about yourself as a person. But yes just work your butt off which is shown already that you are working full-time and going to school as well. My hat's off to you!

Best of luck! :oops: