Chances? and Advice is welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagles13!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The essentials to my application are below though I have not applied to medical school yet. I know I want to after having plenty of experiences in the medical field.

Basically, I just want to know my shot of getting into medical school and what I should do after I graduate. Thank you very much for taking the time to examine and offer feedback on my post since this is very important for me.

Minnesota Resident – Saint John’s University (MN) Individualized Health Science major with minor in Philosophy

GPA: 3.4

Science GPA: 3.0

MCAT: 22 (December 2014)

Clinical Volunteer Activities (roughly 200 hours total):

1. Saint John’s Medical Center – Oncology (WY): 10 hrs/wk for 3 months​

2. University of Minnesota Hospital – Emergency Department: 5 hrs/wk for 3 months​

Physician Shadowing (roughly 210 hours):

1. Emergency Department (St. Cloud Hospital): 100 hours​

2. Orthopedics/Sports Medicine (Mayo Clinic and St. Cloud Hospital): 30 hours​

3. Pediatric Surgery (Mayo Clinic): 20 hours​

4. Surgery (St. Cloud Hospital): 20 hours​

5. Internal Medicine (St. Cloud Hospital): 20 hours​

6. Family Medicine (St. Cloud Hospital): 20 hours​

Research:
  1. Mayo Clinic – Gastroenterology Laboratory
    1. DNA extraction
    2. Data Entry/Organization
  2. Mayo Clinic – IMPACT Scholar x2 (2014 and 2015)
    1. Developed hypothesis for underlying cause and mechanism of HLHS and how HLHS can be diagnosed and treated.
    2. Literature review of HLHS
Nonclinical Volunteer Activities (roughly 330 hours total):
  1. Ronald McDonald House (MN): 10 hrs/wk for 5 months
  2. Teton County Tri-Humane Society (WY): 10 hrs/wk for 3 months
  3. EarlyBird Soccer Camp Counselor (MN): 3 separate camps for a total of 9 hrs
Relevant Employment:
  1. Mayo Clinic (MN) – Internship: Physician Research Assistant (Gastroenterology Laboratory)
    1. 40 hrs/wk for 3 months
    2. Summer internship
    3. Attend Grand Rounds/Weekly Seminars
    4. Participate in weekly laboratory meetings
    5. Conduct various research protocols (DNA extraction and Gel electrophoresis)
  1. Saint John’s University (MN): Student Medical Assistant
    1. 20 hrs/wk for 8 months
    2. Use preventative techniques to prepare athletes for practices and games
    3. Provide emergency aid to athletes during practices and games
    4. Work with athletes in developing and conducting exercise programs for rehabilitation
Other Activities (roughly 650 hours):
  1. Saint John’s University (MN) Soccer (DIII)
    1. 15 hrs/wk for 9 months total
  2. Aikido Club Member – Saint John’s University
    1. 2 hrs/wk for 13 months total
  3. Pre-med Club Member – Saint John’s University
    1. A few hours per semester for 6 semesters
I know I have a very subpar GPA/sGPA and my MCAT is atrocious, but I think I have a fair explanation for the GPA. During my first two years at SJU, I was in a very distressing and difficult relationship. My girlfriend of many years had developed very serious psychological disorders that required a lot of support, time and effort on my part. Now, I don’t know how great of an explanation this is partly because many may not understand the stress and overwhelming feelings that accompany such issues. I truly hate to use this explanation as an excuse, but after I decided to put my personal goals first I have maintained a GPA of 3.8 (junior and senior year). I think my decision to stay in the relationship as a freshman and sophomore also contributed to my low MCAT score. Many of the MCAT topics are covered during those introductory courses and since I wasn’t adequately studying I underachieved. I know I can get a better score than a 22.

My plan right now is to take a summer off to recover from what my advisers call “burning out”. Then I want to enter into a post-bac/master’s program for a year or two to demonstrate that my last two years of undergrad were not a fluke. Then, one of those semesters in the program I want to retake the MCAT.

Currently, I have applied to several post-bac programs/master’s programs (University of Minnesota, Loyola University Chicago, University of Vermont, University of Colorado, Colorado State University, and Regis University). I just found out that I was rejected from Loyola and I was very disappointed, but I think my MCAT score was what did me in. Even further, I have applied to several research positions at the Mayo Clinic.

I am very nervous about my chances of getting into medical school whether that is DO or MD. I have not shadow DO, but I would really like to this summer since that path is very interesting to me. So after reading this long post, what do you think are my chances for gaining acceptance into medical school and what should I do to strengthen my application after I graduate? For anyone that took the time to read this and provide serious constructive criticism; thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your 3.4 cGPA is fine but 3.0 sGPA is no good. You will have to retake the first/second year science courses, especially the pre-requisites (bio, gen chem, physics, orgo). Alternatively, you could consider a SMP/Post-bacc (as you already applied) program with linkage to try for MD schools. Given that you do have a strong upward trend in the last two years, if you did well in SMP/Post-bacc and score well in the new MCAT, you should have a shot for both MD and DO schools. You should also continue volunteering in clinical settings but otherwise your ECs look great.

Right now you have a very weak gpa and an equally weak MCAT.
Generous historical norms put your chance of success at <15% for MD.
If you retake the science classes with the lowest grades and get an MCAT score better than the 50th% you will have a shot at DO schools, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My plan right now is to take a summer off to recover from what my advisers call “burning out”. Then I want to enter into a post-bac/master’s program for a year or two to demonstrate that my last two years of undergrad were not a fluke. Then, one of those semesters in the program I want to retake the MCAT.

Sounds like a good plan. Even with an upward trend, your GPA is horrible as is your MCAT so those need to get higher if you want a foot in the door.

Shadowing a DO is essential when applying to DO schools so get on that.

Get your name on a research pub, presentation, or poster.

Your ECs look good but a leadership position is good to have.

You come from a 'good' state and this may be favorable to you provided all the above items are in check.

Good plans. You need to show that you can survive medical school. An MCAT retake is required.

Currently, I have applied to several post-bac programs/master’s programs (University of Minnesota, Loyola University Chicago, University of Vermont, University of Colorado, Colorado State University, and Regis University). I just found out that I was rejected from Loyola and I was very disappointed, but I think my MCAT score was what did me in. Even further, I have applied to several research positions at the Mayo Clinic.

Upward trends are always good. Acing a post-bac and the MCAT will let you see that there are MD schools that value reinvention, as all DO schools do. Going DO will be faster if you simply retake all F/D/C science coursework.

Find a DO to shadow and get a LOR and that will add points.

I am very nervous about my chances of getting into medical school whether that is DO or MD. I have not shadow DO, but I would really like to this summer since that path is very interesting to me. So after reading this long post, what do you think are my chances for gaining acceptance into medical school and what should I do to strengthen my application after I graduate? For anyone that took the time to read this and provide serious constructive criticism; thank you![/QUOTE]

Thank you everyone for replying and giving me some advice!