About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Chances and advice

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by niabrams, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. niabrams

niabrams

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I already asked about my chances a while ago, but my situation has changed a bit.
    I have a 3.26 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA. I graduated UG 2 years ago from WashU and went on to do a master's in finance. I realized, at the start, that my interests still very much lay in medicine, and so I am going back to do some post-bacc work to finish up my prerequisites (organic chem and bio). With the exception of shadowing/volunteering/research (no pubs) in the summer after my freshman year, I have little to no clinical anything.

I had originally assumed I was a solid no-go for MD and DO programs. However, my advisors keep telling me that as long as I do decently on the MCAT in the spring and get in clinical and shadowing, I have a good shot at DO and an okay (well, low but still present) shot at low-tier MD schools if I apply in June 2013.

That sounds dandy, but I'm worried that it is BS. So, SDN, what do you think?
  2. Temperature101

Temperature101

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    DO is your best shot now with a 28+ mcat. I think you would have to kill the mcat(35+) to have a shot at MD.
  3. mybubbles627

mybubbles627

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree with the above post and your post. You could have a very good shot at DO with a 28 and MD with 33 or so. What state are you a resident off? That will also affect your MD chances.
  4. niabrams

niabrams

Pre-Medical
    California :'(

I suppose I could claim residency in Missouri, as I went to UG there for 4 years and lived in an apartment/received mail/paid bills for a year as I did my finance degree. I really hope I can successfully claim residency in Missouri, as I would love to go to UMKC.

I usually love my home state, but at this point I am really starting to hate it.
  5. Goro

Goro

Non-Student
    Faculty SDN 2+ Year Member
    OK for DO, but I see little chances at any MD school.

6. niabrams

niabrams

Pre-Medical
    Thanks SDN. Now if, for instance, I were to do well in my post bacc and raise my sGPA to 3.5+, would that significantly impact my competitiveness for either MD or DO? Honestly, at this point I just want to get into any school at all (just not a Caribbean one).
  7. coolingglasses

coolingglasses tiger forever.

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I bet you're fine for DO as it stands. It would make you more competitive for MD but your MCAT hurts you a bit in that area too.

Don't worry about being stuck in the Caribbean with those numbers.
  8. niabrams

niabrams

Pre-Medical
    I suppose I'll just have to rock the MCAT then, nbd ;)
    And hey, if I go to the Caribbean and can't match, then I'll just have to flee to Cuba to escape all my debt!