Chances and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niabrams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I already asked about my chances a while ago, but my situation has changed a bit.
I have a 3.26 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA. I graduated UG 2 years ago from WashU and went on to do a master's in finance. I realized, at the start, that my interests still very much lay in medicine, and so I am going back to do some post-bacc work to finish up my prerequisites (organic chem and bio). With the exception of shadowing/volunteering/research (no pubs) in the summer after my freshman year, I have little to no clinical anything.

I had originally assumed I was a solid no-go for MD and DO programs. However, my advisors keep telling me that as long as I do decently on the MCAT in the spring and get in clinical and shadowing, I have a good shot at DO and an okay (well, low but still present) shot at low-tier MD schools if I apply in June 2013.

That sounds dandy, but I'm worried that it is BS. So, SDN, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

So I already asked about my chances a while ago, but my situation has changed a bit.
I have a 3.26 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA. I graduated UG 2 years ago from WashU and went on to do a master's in finance. I realized, at the start, that my interests still very much lay in medicine, and so I am going back to do some post-bacc work to finish up my prerequisites (organic chem and bio). With the exception of shadowing/volunteering/research (no pubs) in the summer after my freshman year, I have little to no clinical anything.

I had originally assumed I was a solid no-go for MD and DO programs. However, my advisors keep telling me that as long as I do decently on the MCAT in the spring and get in clinical and shadowing, I have a good shot at DO and an okay (well, low but still present) shot at low-tier MD schools if I apply in June 2013.

DO is your best shot now with a 28+ mcat. I think you would have to kill the mcat(35+) to have a shot at MD.

I agree with the above post and your post. You could have a very good shot at DO with a 28 and MD with 33 or so. What state are you a resident off? That will also affect your MD chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above post and your post. You could have a very good shot at DO with a 28 and MD with 33 or so. What state are you a resident off? That will also affect your MD chances.

California :'(

I suppose I could claim residency in Missouri, as I went to UG there for 4 years and lived in an apartment/received mail/paid bills for a year as I did my finance degree. I really hope I can successfully claim residency in Missouri, as I would love to go to UMKC.

I usually love my home state, but at this point I am really starting to hate it.

OK for DO, but I see little chances at any MD school.

Thanks SDN. Now if, for instance, I were to do well in my post bacc and raise my sGPA to 3.5+, would that significantly impact my competitiveness for either MD or DO? Honestly, at this point I just want to get into any school at all (just not a Caribbean one).

Thanks SDN. Now if, for instance, I were to do well in my post bacc and raise my sGPA to 3.5+, would that significantly impact my competitiveness for either MD or DO? Honestly, at this point I just want to get into any school at all (just not a Caribbean one).

I bet you're fine for DO as it stands. It would make you more competitive for MD but your MCAT hurts you a bit in that area too.

Don't worry about being stuck in the Caribbean with those numbers.

I suppose I'll just have to rock the MCAT then, nbd ;)
And hey, if I go to the Caribbean and can't match, then I'll just have to flee to Cuba to escape all my debt!