MD Chances and School List Help: sGPA: 3.74, cGPA 3.79 MCAT 34, CO Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD_Hopeful_2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm gearing up to apply this cycle and would appreciate your comments on my school list.

Stats:
Schol: Senior, Top 10 undergrad
sGPA: 3.74
cGPA: 3.79
MCAT: 34 (11/11/12)
Residence: CO
Shadowing: About 150 hours, mixed between many specialties and doctors. Also have about 60 hours of clinical time as a CNA. Will gain more working as a CNA during my gap year.
Research: 3 full academic years and 2 summers of about 20 hours a week. Neuroimaging. 1 presentation and 1 publication. Will be doing more research during my gap year to finish up a project I have been working on - possibly one more publication.
Clinical Volunteering: 1 weeklong event (50 hours), one international service trip (1 week), work in a free clinic (2 years, 5 hours/month)
Non-clinical volunteering: 2 academic years of mentoring/tutoring in home for families affected by HIV/AIDS (8 hr/week)
Leadership: President of cycling team for 2 years
Other: I am trained as a CNA and will be working in a retirement home during my gap year. I will also be doing more research during my gap year.

List (organized from most to least competitive)

WUSM
U Chicago
NYU
Vandy
Michigan
USC
Mayo
Tufts
Colorado
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Oregon
Temple
Med College Wisc.
Jefferson
Georgetown University
George Washington
U of A - Tucson
Temple
Drexel
Rush

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest the following:

Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U UT
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI though.

I guess I'm looking more for help on the overall balance of my school list. I'm not sure if I'm skewing towards too many top-tier schools given the stats I have

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm looking more for help on the overall balance of my school list. I'm not sure if I'm skewing towards too many top-tier schools given the stats I have
Consider trying out the tool in my signature to help come up with a preliminary school list (I would do the calculation myself, but I'm currently on my phone).

I suggest the following:

Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U UT
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI though.

I think Mayo's avg is 33...

How many schools are you thinking about applying to? I think in terms of stats and publication, you have a good shot with that list. But just remember that a lot of the schools on your list get 10k applicants. Even the so-called "least competitive" schools on your list are statistically extremely hard to get into. Personally, I think you stand a good chance with your list, but I'd definitely consider some of Goro's suggestions, particularly Creighton. Creighton shows Colorado a lot of love.

Thanks!