Chances and school list revision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd like some help with what my chances are and maybe some suggested revisions to my current school list. Here is a rundown of who I am.

CA Resident
NOT an URM
Graduated Spring 2014 with a B.S. in Biological Sciences

Graduated with a 3.955 cGPA 3.965 BPCMgpa
MCAT 32 (balanced)
Did about 450 hours of Research at one lab dealing with Traumatic Brain Injury and 100 hours at a lab dealing with protein conformations.
-Volunteered about 200 hours at a hospital program with direct patient interaction.
-Was a member of the Global Medical Brigades for a year. The club, for those who aren't aware of it, offers healthcare support to impoverished countries. I went along with them to Honduras for a week-long trip. I fundraised part of my trip ( the rest being paid by my parents) as well as for some of the supply expense.

Since graduating, I have studied/taken the MCAT as well as helped out at the Traumatic Brain injury facility I mentioned before with limited hours ( about 7 hours a week) til about last October. At this point, I'd like to secure an English teaching Job in Asia if at all possible but I will save talking about it for another thread since I am still trying to figure out the logistics of going abroad and still making it to interviews. Whether or not I can make everything fit will determine whether I actually go.

Now here is my preliminary school list - picked out from the MSAR.

Reach
Baylor
Columbia
USC
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCD

Match
Florida (Tampa, Miami)
Minnesota
Drexel
Utah
Commonwealth
Rosalind Frank
Hofstra
Loyola
Rush
Georgetown
Alabama
Stony Brooks

Safe
NYMed
Albany

I want to bring this list down to about 18. I am aware that Colorado and Seattle are OOS unfriendly. Is it so bad that I should avoid applying completely? Also schools that are more accommodating in regards to interview scheduling would be best if that is a tendency of adcoms snders are aware of.
Of Course any response would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I apologize, I wrote this in chunks throughout the day. I have updated it with my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd cut MN, WA, OR, Howard, and possibly NV for starters.

Reactions: 1 users
Will do. Are they OOS unfriendly? My safety pile is severely lacking.

Many of your "safeties" are in your match category.
Howard is not at all "safe" for you.
All the CA schools are reaches but you have a shot at a few of them.
Delete Howard, OHSU, U of WA, CO and Rochester (at a minimum).
Most of UMKC's OOS matriculants are part of special programs.

Some on your match list appear to be a good OOS bet because they rely on OOS kids to improve the diversity of their classes (e.g.U of MN).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Alright, thank you very much for the input. I will edit my post with the updated school list. Unfortunate news about the UCs haha. I am a UCI alum so hopefully they take me in. ~70% of the reason I want to go to California is for the cheaper tuition.

HAHA why! opinions much appreciated too! I have a thick skin, I can take constructive criticism.

Looking at my reach list right now, I think I will apply to all the California schools on there as well as either Baylor or Columbia.

HAHA why! opinions much appreciated too! I have a thick skin, I can take constructive criticism.
Wow. Your list just improved about 50%!
Don't get me wrong, you are a fine candidate. Most fine applicants like you go OOS for medical school, though. Last year only 870 CA kids got into an IS school. 1436 got into a school OOS!
UCI has had some significant administrative changes in admissions this year so it's difficult to predict what affect this may have. I think you need a few more along the lines of Albany and NYMed. These are more bang for the buck than GW, for example.

You are right to look at the CA schools as reaches. Not because your stats are insufficient, but rather because of the large excess of overqualified IS candidates

Goro suggests

UCD
UCI
Florida (Tampa, Miami)
Drexel
Commonwealth
Rosalind Frank
Hofstra
Loyola
Rush
NYMC
U Rochester
Einstein
Albany
All other new MD schools
Any DO school
Wake Forest
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
SLU
Tufts
BU
Tulane
EVMS
The Philly triplets

Reactions: 1 user
I can see it taking some shape as well! Yeah, I mean I am not dead set on staying in California. I was only attracted to the lower price tag and the familiarity of locations( which has its own pros/cons). I have added Albany and NYMed in the safe column because I have their average MCAT and am above 90th percentile in terms of GPA. An empty safety list terrifies me haha.

Wow the illustrious Goro haha. I have seen your name pop-up on these forums may times. Thanks for the input, I will withdraw into my cave to research some of these new schools. UCR perhaps?