Chances as a D.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roark10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

In the summer, I'll be beginning at an osteopathic school. I have been told that I will likely change my mind over and over in medical school, but lately I have fallen in love with the hem/onc route. Assuming that I don't waver during medical school, what are my chances to get a decent IM residency and then a hem/onc fellowship down the road? Are there any broad things (in addition to research) I should be doing during my first two years? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Crush USMLE Step 1. And ignore anyone who tells you that you only need to take COMLEX.
Gutonc nailed it.

Get the highest Step 1 score and get as many 3rd year honors as possible to get into the best internal medicine residencies. Look on the internal medicine program.

Once you are in a strong IM program, fellowships will look mostly at the residency program that you came from rather than medical school and/or D.O.

This is probably a general question but when people say strong IM program - what does this necessarily mean? How do you tell if IM programs are strong?