Chances at a Good Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thestrugglez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate and am looking to apply this upcoming cycle. I was wondering what my chances were for some Texas Programs

Cum GPA ~ 2.9 (Double majored in Chem and Econ at top 20 university)
Science/Math ~ around 2.7 (mostly thanks to upper level chemistry)
PCAT - 96 Composite (1st try)
Post-Bac at CC GPA - 4.0 (retook bio 1&2, phys 1. Also took microbio all this summer while preparing for PCAT. Not done with microbio and phys but pretty confident in my grades in those classes.)
Overall Pre-req science gpa - 3.1-3.2. Higher if grade replacement rather than average. Planning to apply as a BS applicant so that I don't need to take random non-science prereqs. Not sure if this is a good idea. Please advise.

ECs:

Good research experience (with publications)
Extensive work teaching underprivileged children during college (400+ hours, was also part of an Americorps program for college students)
LORs: 2 superb ones and 1 ok (or maybe good) one?

Experience:
Only small amounts of shadowing. Will be taking pharm tech exam in week and half so hoping to boost myself in this area before (and if) I get an interview, but will be after I submit my application

Schools applying to:
All Texas schools (am a Texas resident), maybe 2 more top 10-20 and 2 more around 40s. Will be doing extensive research on schools that are likely to accept me.

Wondering what my chances are for top-tier/mid-tier schools like UT Austin, Texas Tech, UH, and Texas A&M. Also, do pharm schools look at only pre-reqs or all your upper level sciences (a UH rep told me UH only looks at prereqs when comparing candidates). What about my chances for lower tier schools such as UNT and TSU?

Also, can anyone advise me on some top/mid tier non-Texas schools that look more on PCAT and less on GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The chem degree and a 96 should get you in, but it won't be 100% due to the 2.9. I would think you could get into at least one Texas school, though, especially if your prereq GPA is high. I would rather rather accept someone who's C in PChem dropped their GPA than someone who hasn't even tried it...

The chem degree and a 96 should get you in, but it won't be 100% due to the 2.9. I would think you could get into at least one Texas school, though, especially if your prereq GPA is high. I would rather rather accept someone who's C in PChem dropped their GPA than someone who hasn't even tried it...

c'mon Blueheron :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Based on my stats, do you think I would even get an interview if I applied for a top 20 school like OSU, UWA, or U-Tennessee

What about a school ~40's like Boston U or Mercer?

Biochem major here. P-Chem was a bitch for me. Got a C in both I and II

Based on my stats, do you think I would even get an interview if I applied for a top 20 school like OSU, UWA, or U-Tennessee

What about a school ~40's like Boston U or Mercer?

I would say so for top 20. Definitely for 40s.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say so for top 20. Definitely for 40s.
Sorry to interrupt. Are these US News top 40 or some other ranking system?

Also, a side question. Say you got into a school ranked 50th in your home state and got into a top 10 in a different state, would you rather go to the one in your state because of the lower cost or the out of state because of it being ranked higher?

Also, a side question. Say you got into a school ranked 50th in your home state and got into a top 10 in a different state, would you rather go to the one in your state because of the lower cost or the out of state because of it being ranked higher?
Well I guess it depends on what is holding u back?(i.e alot of family lives there and ur very family oriented) The difference between 50 and top 10 is huge though so idk honestly, but if they were not that far off in rankings I would stay in state

Probably depends to how close the home state school is to me (I live in Texas, so just cause it's in my state doesn't mean its within a reasonable number of hour driving distance). Also, the cost of tuition plays a major factor...

Thanks guys. Let me clarify a bit though - say a school in my home state costs $80k over the four years, and it is ranked 50th -- then I got into say OSU and it ranks in the top 10 but out of state it costs $200k over the 4 years. Would it be worth it for you to go to OSU based on tuition costs alone?

Thanks guys. Let me clarify a bit though - say a school in my home state costs $80k over the four years, and it is ranked 50th -- then I got into say OSU and it ranks in the top 10 but out of state it costs $200k over the 4 years. Would it be worth it for you to go to OSU based on tuition costs alone?

My vote for your state school. 200k is not worth it.