Chances at any Allopathic School or go D.O? 3.2C/3.15S 31MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenal_Gooner_90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to know if I should apply to any M.D schools with these stats, or whether to go the DO route or if a SMP would help:

3.2 Cumulative
3.15 Science
31 MCAT (10PS, 11BS, 10VR)
100 hours of volunteer at local hospital
A year of research in Organic Chemistry lab
50 hours of shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

GPAs are lethal for MD schools, and not that great for DO. Apply broadly. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if I should apply to any M.D schools with these stats, or whether to go the DO route or if a SMP would help:

3.2 Cumulative
3.15 Science
50 hours of shadowing

Curious for what the gpa is from. If its from just not doing so well, you could try an SMP, but you'll have to go lights out.

That said, your gpa still worries me for even DO. I feel like SMP will be critical. Furthermore, your extracurriculars imo, do not demonstrate a real commitment to the medical field. And the GPA concerns me because it doesn't tell me that you have the endurance or the mental fortitude to survive in medical school. Maybe not "tells me," but "suggests to me". So I'm not sure what to be thinking at this point.

My beef with your situation is that neither your grades or gpa demonstrate that you have the commitment for medical school. You might be defensive at this point and might say, "Pfft, what do you know? I want to be the best doc EVAR." But i think you can really make your resume beefier. And at the same time, bring your grades up. It will take time, to say the least.

If I were in your situation, first I'd explain about what happened with the GPA? It's pretty borderline,a nd we want to know what your story is.

Then, I'd probably retake some classes, OR so an SMP and go lights out. Do or die. eat sleep breath that stuff and go lights out. And, volunteer, show commitment. Be a rockstar.

Then, we'd talk.

3.2 Cumulative
3.15 Science
50 hours of shadowing
apply to 15-20 DO schools and you should get at least 1 acceptance.