Chances at Columbia, Brown or Albert Einstein Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKG12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am presently enrolled in Columbia's Post Baccalaureate Program. As an aspirant physician, I staunchly desire to attend a highly ranked medical school so that , or otherwise I see no point in becoming a physician. The reason behind my rationale is that prospective patients gauge their doctors' competency by which medical school they attended, and so I believe that if I attend a reputed medical school, I will be able to earn the trust of my patients. My situation is as follows, I completed my undergraduate degree in Economics and Business Administration from the University of Miami with a cumulative GPA of 3.1, as I had initially wanted to become an investment banker. However, after having worked in investment banking for a year, basically in the form of unpaid internships, I had soon realized that investment banking was suited for me; mainly because of long, vague hours, and no prospect of employment after having done legalized slavery for senior bankers. In pursuit of my ambition of wanting to become a doctor, I enrolled at Columbia's Post Baccalaureate program. Although I have only just started my first semester here at Columbia, I have a couple of questions pertaining to my prospects of admission at a highly ranked medical school, which are as follows

1) Given my mediocre 3.1 undergraduate GPA, and that I hypothetically earn a 3.8-3.9 GPA, and a 35 on the MCAT, how would prospects of admission at Columbia, Brown or Albert Einstein be?

2) Given how low my cumulative undergraduate GPA is, does it even make sense to pursue medicine as a career option?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your previous "career" (short as it was) has the potential to make for an intriguing story, if spun well.

The GPA is low, but an MCAT of 35 should put most highly-ranked schools within range.

With that said, a 35 will not make you a superstar applicant by any means.

If you hypothetically get a 3.8/35 as well as hypothetically publish in nature as well as cell, and also hypothetically rack up 1000 hours volunteering in Africa I would say your chances are good.

Honestly, the best predictor of future performance is past performance. Some people definitely turn it around, 3.4 rising to 3.7 etc. but right now you're saying "well what if I suddenly get great grades and an awesome MCAT?" Which is kind of pointless because you haven't done it yet. Everyone thinks they'll score 35+, most don't.

If you manage to pull off a 3.8/3.9 and a 35 MCAT you'll be okay, although I wouldn't apply to brown as it has a lot of bs/md slots.

Reactions: 3 users
As an aspirant physician, I staunchly desire to attend a highly ranked medical school so that , or otherwise I see no point in becoming a physician. The reason behind my rationale is that prospective patients gauge their doctors' competency by which medical school they attended, and so I believe that if I attend a reputed medical school, I will be able to earn the trust of my patients.

This reads too perfectly like a troll. If you're serious, you may want to keep other career options open.

Reactions: 1 user
Patients don't care where you went to medical school.

You have a near zero chance at Columbia.

Who are you to make that conclusion?
Do you sit on the admissions committee at Columbia Medical School?
If you have nothing encouraging to say, then please do not say anything.

If you hypothetically get a 3.8/35 as well as hypothetically publish in nature as well as cell, and also hypothetically rack up 1000 hours volunteering in Africa I would say your chances are good.

Honestly, the best predictor of future performance is past performance. Some people definitely turn it around, 3.4 rising to 3.7 etc. but right now you're saying "well what if I suddenly get great grades and an awesome MCAT?" Which is kind of pointless because you haven't done it yet. Everyone thinks they'll score 35+, most don't.

If you manage to pull off a 3.8/3.9 and a 35 MCAT you'll be okay, although I wouldn't apply to brown as it has a lot of bs/md slots.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.
It has shed some hope on my despondency.

Asks for feedback. Gets mad when people give feedback you don't want to hear.

Reactions: 9 users

Why do you ask for opinions, then dismiss those opinions?

Fine: Of course you can get into Columbia!

Was that helpful?

Asks for feedback. Gets mad when people give feedback you don't want to hear.

I am not mad.
On the contrary, I appreciate your feedback.
I would just like to know how qualified you are to make that conclusion, so that I don't live in a false sense of hope

Members don't see this ad :)
I am presently enrolled in Columbia's Post Baccalaureate Program. As an aspirant physician, I staunchly desire to attend a highly ranked medical school so that , or otherwise I see no point in becoming a physician. The reason behind my rationale is that prospective patients gauge their doctors' competency by which medical school they attended, and so I believe that if I attend a reputed medical school, I will be able to earn the trust of my patients.

You are 100% wrong about this. Most patients have no knowledge about the relative merits of different schools, nor do they care. And in professional circles, where you train (residency) is more important than medical school- but out in practice, neither is as important as your competency and ability to work well with others.

If you are approaching from this mindset (top school or why bother), I guarantee you will be very unhappy should you start a medical career.

Account made 3 hours ago..why is everyone feeding the troll?

Account made 3 hours ago..why is everyone feeding the troll?

This account was made three hours ago because I thought of this website to be a valuable resource of information and feedback.
Why don't you grow up because the way you are bullying me, it seems you haven't

Patients don't care where you went to medical school.

You have a near zero chance at Columbia.

I agree. I feel like unless you're main focus is research or MD/PhD, you're right, it doesn't matter where you go MD.

EDIT- elitist schools only exist because of the research. You can't tell me getting your bachelors degree in psychology at Harvard is going to guarantee you a successful career. They get the endowments for the research. They want students who gots them research skills. Ivy league is only desirable because of the networking. I feel like the education is pretty much the same anywhere (I'm speaking from my cousins experiences they've all told me coming from Ivy league). Just adding to the fact that med school anywhere is the same sack of ####.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you "see no point" in becoming a physician if you train at a mid-level program, you should reconsider your thoughts about medical school.

Top programs are something you shoot for, not expect to get

It absolutely makes sense and is doable to pursue medicine. But Columbia is a top 10 program, hard to get into. Brown is full of BS/MD programs, you won't get space there. That leaves Einstein, which is doable but not a given

Reactions: 1 users
I am presently enrolled in Columbia's Post Baccalaureate Program. As an aspirant physician, I staunchly desire to attend a highly ranked medical school so that , or otherwise I see no point in becoming a physician. The reason behind my rationale is that prospective patients gauge their doctors' competency by which medical school they attended, and so I believe that if I attend a reputed medical school, I will be able to earn the trust of my patients. My situation is as follows, I completed my undergraduate degree in Economics and Business Administration from the University of Miami with a cumulative GPA of 3.1, as I had initially wanted to become an investment banker. However, after having worked in investment banking for a year, basically in the form of unpaid internships, I had soon realized that investment banking was suited for me; mainly because of long, vague hours, and no prospect of employment after having done legalized slavery for senior bankers. In pursuit of my ambition of wanting to become a doctor, I enrolled at Columbia's Post Baccalaureate program. Although I have only just started my first semester here at Columbia, I have a couple of questions pertaining to my prospects of admission at a highly ranked medical school, which are as follows

1) Given my mediocre 3.1 undergraduate GPA, and that I hypothetically earn a 3.8-3.9 GPA, and a 35 on the MCAT, how would prospects of admission at Columbia, Brown or Albert Einstein be?

2) Given how low my cumulative undergraduate GPA is, does it even make sense to pursue medicine as a career option?

This is something you should ask in the School-specific threads. Some schools don't care about post-bacc gpa. They only care about your UG. Some will take the higher of the two. You should be asking current/prospect students applying instead of the whole SDN community. You ask a question out in the open like this and no one is going to really have an answer other than you're an idiot for asking this question.

---> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ty-college-of-p-s-application-thread.1073982/

Last edited:
If you "see no point" in becoming a physician if you train at a mid-level program, you should reconsider your thoughts about medical school.

Top programs are something you shoot for, not expect to get

It absolutely makes sense and is doable to pursue medicine. But Columbia is a top 10 program, hard to get into. Brown is full of BS/MD programs, you won't get space there. That leaves Einstein, which is doable but not a given

I guess you're right. Thanks for your feedback.

1) low, low, decent
2) sure. but you probably need to get a little more real with your expectations

I've only had one patient ask where I went to medical school in 30 years of practice.
Trust is earned over time by your actions. Not your cv.
Colleagues only ask where you trained (residency), mostly as a point of conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
However, after having worked in investment banking for a year, basically in the form of unpaid internships, I had soon realized that investment banking was suited for me; mainly because of long, vague hours, and no prospect of employment after having done legalized slavery for senior bankers. In pursuit of my ambition of wanting to become a doctor, I enrolled at Columbia's Post Baccalaureate program.

You're coming onto this forum expecting positive things from us? And then you retort with "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it?"

If you can't survive 1 year of long, vague hours...good luck even surviving in MS3. LOL. I don't know how you expect to survive residency.

Sounds like you're coming from a background of entitlement if you're already trying to think about where you think you'll attend instead of focusing on the present, which is your postbac. You'll need to go lights-out in order for you to have success in cycle.

Yes, there are people at Columbia with 3.9/35 if you can get that. Keep in mind that the MCAT is out of 528 now instead of 45.

Good for Einstein and Columbia; Brown favors their own grads.

There are a good number of schools that reward reinvention. You will need to ace the post-bac and MCAT. DO schools are less fussy.

Yes, there are people at Columbia with 3.9/35 if you can get that. Keep in mind that the MCAT is out of 528 now instead of 45.
But OP can't get a 3.9. He has a 3.1 undergrad, he was talking about getting a 3.9 in his postbacc. If he averaged the two he still wouldn't touch a 3.5 I bet.

And that is why I said Columbia was out of reach. They want people with 3.9s out of undergrad. Doing a postbacc will likely not help anyone get into a place like that.