Chances at DO, Carib, linkage SMP? - 30 MCAT / sGPA 3.2 / cGPA 2.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johntay213

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Requesting the wisdom of the crowd. AACOMAS calculated GPA lower than I thought. Please chance me for DO, Carib, and if possible 1-year SMPs with linkage into med school like Temple, Barry(?), and Nova.

MCAT - 30, balanced. Waiting on one more score in a few days, not sure if major improvement.

cGPA - 2.87. Social science at ivy, started 2005. Was on academic probation a few times for withdrawing too many classes/term (motivation problems). Took one-year break 2007 to work (non-medical job). Had a few F's towards the end of ugrad when teachers refused to allow withdrawal. These grades ended in spring 2012; there are a few credits that were makeup for past coursework that were completed in 2013. Got my BA in 2013. Stopped caring about it long before that and it shows. No upward trend here.

sGPA - 3.19. Majority at community colleges. Got a C in physics in 2010, and a C in biochem pring 2014. No trend, solid not spectacular. Includes the pre-PA curriculum, so anatomy, microbio, biochem etc. This is from spring 2010, summer 2011 and then full time fall 2012-spring 2014 (while working 45 hours/week).

If a few low grades are replaced this term via AACOMAS forgiveness, the GPA #s would be :

non-science 2.82, sGPA 3.45, cGPA 3.04

LORs - can think of 3-4 profs who'd write them. Maybe 1 or 2 will be genuinely enthusiastic. Can get 1 good employer LOR as well, in non-medical field.

Some extracurriculars during ugrad, no research (and no interest in it for future).

2 years hands-on clinical experience with lots of patient contact at doctor's office for underserved community, worked full time while taking full-time premed science load at CC. LOR from here won't count because doctor is a blood relation. But I can say this is where I'll work in the future, this is my patient pool, I have a credible commitment to primary care.

No DO shadowing yet.

Not URM.

Can I get in a U.S. school, period, MD or DO? Big 4 Carib?
Would newer med schools be less selective?
Could I get in a linkage SMP program at Temple or Nova, both of which look good to me?
Should I offer to do a mini clinical presentation to show I have rudimentary clinical skills/knowledge/aptitude?

Members don't see this ad.

what were your average full length scores after you got a 30? not sure i would have retaken.

why can't you go DO after some grade newer/better replacement? practically nobody here is going to suggest caribbean

Retaking a good MCAT does not improve chances when the problem in your application is your gpa.
DO schools offer an advantage to those in your situation (as just stated).
Just about anybody can get into the Caribbean. Getting out and getting a residency is another story. No one can reasonably suggest those schools as a first line choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
gyngyn: That's actually really interesting ... you think a 33, 35, 37 wouldn't really help? I'm sure schools see a lot of splitters, wouldn't a higher MCAT help pull me away from the many other low-GPA applicants?

candbgirl: I would say, in PS or a supplement note, I would do the mini presentation in the interview. I'd list 3-5 topics that we see a lot of at our office, and the interviewer could pick one. I hope this is good as opposed to snotty/arrogant; my intuition is that since it's primary care topics, it'd be unlikely to be viewed as showoff-y/know-it-all, and just be viewed as showing enthusiasm for the topic.

gyngyn: That's actually really interesting ... you think a 33, 35, 37 wouldn't really help? I'm sure schools see a lot of splitters, wouldn't a higher MCAT help pull me away from the many other low-GPA applicants?

candbgirl: I would say, in PS or a supplement note, I would do the mini presentation in the interview. I'd list 3-5 topics that we see a lot of at our office, and the interviewer could pick one. I hope this is good as opposed to snotty/arrogant; my intuition is that since it's primary care topics, it'd be unlikely to be viewed as showoff-y/know-it-all, and just be viewed as showing enthusiasm for the topic.
Focusing on the part that you do well and hoping that a screener overlooks the part done poorly, is not a plan for success. In fact, it calls into question one's judgement. Getting past the automatic screen is a better plan.

What you are describing as a mini-presentation at an interview is not going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Heed the sage advice of my learned colleague. You have yet to demonstrate that you can handle a medical school curriculum. As for your MCAT, you haven't actually gotten those good scores yet, have you? Talk is cheap. Even if you di score a 36, say, I'd surmise that you're simply a good standardized test taker.

Med school interviewees do NOT do presentations. Please restrain your ignorance of the process.

Thanks all for the help!

gyngyn: Are you saying interview questions are pretty much dictated to applicants -- I can't volunteer to "let me tell you what I know about DM in theory and practice"? And that I should somehow address weaknesses head-on instead of downplaying their importance (i.e. the opposite from how a corporate job seeker would go about it)?

Because I figured gimlet-eyed adcoms already know my weaknesses, so what I would spend time & emphasis on, is informing them of my strengths. Because the applicant should be a partisan defender of his own case, not an impartial holistic judge balancing the interests of med school and applicant. Am I incorrect?

Goro: Are you agreeing that if I get a 36 later this year, it's of little additional utility, so I shouldn't bother retaking?

If you think I've yet to show I'm ready for med school, are you saying I should go Carib? What about SMPs with linkage -- are they within my reach?

Thanks all for the help!

gyngyn: Are you saying interview questions are pretty much dictated to applicants -- I can't volunteer to "let me tell you what I know about DM in theory and practice"? And that I should somehow address weaknesses head-on instead of downplaying their importance (i.e. the opposite from how a corporate job seeker would go about it)?

Because I figured gimlet-eyed adcoms already know my weaknesses, so what I would spend time & emphasis on, is informing them of my strengths. Because the applicant should be a partisan defender of his own case, not an impartial holistic judge balancing the interests of med school and applicant. Am I incorrect?
There are two general kinds of evaluations, MMI and interview format. The interview format can be either open or closed file (or some combination). Interviews are conducted by the interviewer not the interviewee. Attempts to dramatically steer the course of the interview are not generally well received. I can tell you that I have never had an applicant volunteer to jump into a presentation on any medical topic, nor would I welcome it. There is almost always an opportunity to address topics not covered by the interviewer, usually near the end of the session. I am not familiar with corporate job-seeking so I cannot advise whether there are more similarities or differences. Interviews with a closed file are conducted in order to avoid pre-conceived notions (including weaknesses). Honesty is more important than partisanship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
That's exactly what he's saying. You show, I and my colleagues ask a question, you answer it. We do leave time for you to ask us questions. Anyone who tried to do a presentation would get rejected before leaving the interview room. Go look at the Interview Feedback section of these forums.

There are so many applicants who have both good MCAT and GPAs that they can afford to ignore you.

Correct!
Goro: Are you agreeing that if I get a 36 later this year, it's of little additional utility, so I shouldn't bother retaking?

This is not evidence of "solid". Solid is B+ to A. What I see is someone who would get killed by our curriculum, even with a 45 MCAT.
Got my BA in 2013. Stopped caring about it long before that and it shows. No upward trend here.
sGPA - 3.19. Majority at community colleges. Got a C in physics in 2010, and a C in biochem pring 2014. No trend, solid not spectacular. Includes the pre-PA curriculum, so anatomy, microbio, biochem etc. This is from spring 2010, summer 2011 and then full time fall 2012-spring 2014 (while working 45 hours/week).

SMP is your best bet, not Carib diploma mills. Ace a SMP, and ace MCAT, and you're into the MD schools that value reinvention, or any DO school....which will take you with even a modest MCAT score.
If you think I've yet to show I'm ready for med school, are you saying I should go Carib? What about SMPs with linkage -- are they within my reach?

Thanks for the frank feedback & enlightenment on how med school interviews work. I am prepared to accept rejection from all schools (if that's what happens) and try to get in a good SMP when they open up the app cycle.

Just to clarify grade trends: ivy UG classes for social science BA were from 2005-spring 2012, no upward trend, limped out at the end just to get a BA. Science classes are: physics I in 2010 (C), biology I & II in 2011 (A/B), and the rest (~85 semester hours) are A's/B's/1 C which I'll grade replace, from fall 2012-spring 2014, while working 6 days 45 hrs/week for the clinical exp. <--- With this clarification, do pessimistic evaluations still stand in their previous form, or would I have a shot at some DOs?

I wouldn't be wrong to convey that I add diversity (been through a lot, life exp./clinical exposure, immigrant community, altho not URM) to the class, would I?