Chances at doctor dreams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimistic outlook

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My freshman year did not go so well, I go to a state college. I failed my general physics class. I took CLEP exams for calculus and chemistry because I took IB in high school so I could skip the first semester classes. It was a bad idea, I had to take calculus one or else the university would give me a C if I were to apply to any internships or medical school. I had to take general chem II because the CLEP exam will only award me credit for medical school for the first semester. I pulled off D's for chemistry and calculus during the summer. I thought I would be able to handle both the courses in a 8 week period and to work 12 hours a week. My cumulative sits at a 2.0 I have the credit to jump into organic chem and calculus 2. I would have more time to study and succeed in the fall, but I'm not sure if I should retake the classes I failed. My future is not looking so bright, so advice or anything would be appreciated.

-Thanks in advance for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what your question is, but I'm pretty sure you have to retake physics, calc, and chem. The only one I'm not too sure about is calc, but I'm pretty sure you can't have lower than a C in any of the pre-req courses for med school (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also not sure if IB chem would count for medical school; my AP science classes just counted for elective units. You should clarify about the university giving you a C if you didn't take Calc 1, that just sounds very abnormal. But as of now, no use crying over spilled milk, if you got a D in physics and chem you have to retake them.

I'll be honest, you're in a bad position right now, especially if you continue the way you are (I've never heard anyone with a 2.0 get into medical school, your GPA is still very flexible because it's your first year so you still have time to improve that). If you're serious about making it to medical school, you have to make some changes. When you become a doctor, it's not a game, you're a huge part in someone's wellbeing, so remember that you should be very serious about this. Cut back hours on work, don't take as many units, etc whatever you feel is necessary to have a significant change. It's not a hole that's impossible to dig out of, but you're starting at a pretty big disadvantage. But really work hard, have a huge upward trend, and it's possible it won't look as bad. You can do it!

Concur here. Go visit your school's education or learning center, and get help with your learning styles and test taking skills. Something is definitely broken.

If you can start acing things from now on, you're still viable for medical schools. But first, fix what's broken.

Not sure what your question is, but I'm pretty sure you have to retake physics, calc, and chem. The only one I'm not too sure about is calc, but I'm pretty sure you can't have lower than a C in any of the pre-req courses for med school (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also not sure if IB chem would count for medical school; my AP science classes just counted for elective units. You should clarify about the university giving you a C if you didn't take Calc 1, that just sounds very abnormal. But as of now, no use crying over spilled milk, if you got a D in physics and chem you have to retake them.

I'll be honest, you're in a bad position right now, especially if you continue the way you are (I've never heard anyone with a 2.0 get into medical school, your GPA is still very flexible because it's your first year so you still have time to improve that). If you're serious about making it to medical school, you have to make some changes. When you become a doctor, it's not a game, you're a huge part in someone's wellbeing, so remember that you should be very serious about this. Cut back hours on work, don't take as many units, etc whatever you feel is necessary to have a significant change. It's not a hole that's impossible to dig out of, but you're starting at a pretty big disadvantage. But really work hard, have a huge upward trend, and it's possible it won't look as bad. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Concur here. Go visit your school's education or learning center, and get help with your learning styles and test taking skills. Something is definitely broken.

If you can start acing things from now on, you're still viable for medical schools. But first, fix what's broken.
Thank you for the reply, I am starting school next week, I am going to be all about school and reduce the socializing.

Thank you for the reply and encouragements. I will be retaking these classes this fall and will focus on acing my classes.