Chances at getting in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ougradstudent1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second semester grad student at the University of Oklahoma conducting research in evolutionary ecology. My graduate gpa is 3.5 and I'm currently on track to have a cumulative of 3.75 after this semester ends.

I am a graduate of Oklahoma State University, with honors (top 10%), in zoology with a cumulative gpa of 3.72. My non-science course gpa was 3.93 and science course gpa of 3.65.

I am studying to take the MCAT this summer, which I know will heavily influence my chance for acceptance.

Assuming I do well, let's say average (I am a very good test taker), how competitive am I now?

Thank you for any feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteerism? Clinical exposure? Without these and an MCAT score all I can say is, nice under grad gpa and good state! Is that your AMCAS gpa or school?
OK matriculated 38% of her IS applicants!
I am going to start shadowing a family practitioner starting next week. I do have a lot of bio research as an undergrad, and obviously as a grad student. But that gpa is my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteerism? Clinical exposure? Without these and an MCAT score all I can say is, nice under grad gpa and good state! Is that your AMCAS gpa or school?
OK matriculated 38% of her IS applicants!
I suppose the underlying premise of my question is, will my MS degree provide any advantage? Especially since I'm not using it to aid an UG gpa.

I am going to start shadowing a family practitioner starting next week. I do have a lot of bio research as an undergrad, and obviously as a grad student. But that gpa is my school.
Shadowing is good. 50 hours is normal. How about clinical experience? Leadership?
You might as well calculate your AMCAS gpa (found on the link in the sticky entitled "read before posting").