Chances at Ivys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJL894

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
~3.6 GPA 35 MCAT. Army Combat Medic/Paratrooper. EMT Certified, worked in VA hospital 2 years and was able to shadow tons of doctors obviously. I don't have any research buy between military and health care service/experience I was wondering if I had a shot at any of the Ivys, specifically Geisel, Columbia, and Alpert. I really think I have incredibly unique ECs, and am awesome story and motives for medicine, I feel it really is my selling point. I am not really into research, but besides that what could I do to make myself a stronger applicant? I have a really great personal statement and fantastic letters. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

You might get a better response in the "What are my chances?" forum:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/

Things that could help with Ivy's would probably be substantial research, demonstrated leadership experience, medical and non-medical community service. I can't say for sure since I'm not adcom for an Ivy, but I would imagine the research is the most important. Right now, it sounds like you've got lots of medical experience and perhaps a good story. I'm not sure that's necessarily enough. I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, thank you for your service.

Secondly, from creepin around the forums, there's quite a few ex military on here also looking to go to med school. Not sure if "unique" is the right word. "Uncommon" maybe?

MSAR has a ton of good info in regards to MCAT/GPA schools. I bet those Ivies will be on there too and you can get a good idea of what the average applicant who has been accepted looks like, stats wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are strong but not out of this world stellar. Your service experience, as others have pointed out, is certainly a positive but far from unique. All you can do is apply to the schools you wish to attend and see what happens. But obviously you should apply more broadly than just to those three schools. And while you did not mention your reason for wanting to attend those three schools in particular, it should also be said that it is not necessary to attend an Ivy to get an excellent medical education. Best of luck to you with your apps.

A veteran with these type of stats and experience has the potential to draw interest from many many schools and yes those could include some of the top names in the country.

I'm not sure why you picked these three schools other than that they are the lower ranked of the Ivy League schools. There are schools ranked higher than these that aren't affiliated with Ivy League undergrads, and many other good schools ranked on par that may have more to offer you other than the ivy name.

Truth of the matter is Ivy League is kind of meaningless for Med school. Princeton doesn't even have a med school and Dartmouth rarely ever ranks in the top 25 on US News. The bigger question is that if you are "not really into research", why the focus on these places high on the research ranking?

You can't just pick 3 schools high on the rank list and expect to get in. Apply to a range of places, which can include these but not be limited to these. But bear in mind that some of the similarly ranked non Ivy places have as much to offer, particularly if you aren't even there for the research aspects.

Reactions: 1 user