Chances at medical school? Upward trending but low GPA(~3.45)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skmyblsmg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an Asian undergraduate student looking to apply to medical school this summer. I have volunteered at the local hospital and have done other volunteering activities. I do science research at my university as well. In my first three semesters at my university, I really wasn't motivated due to some issues I was having but I completely take responsibility for the low grades. After three semesters, I had a 2.9 GPA and had B-'s in two required biology courses and C's in Orgo I and Orgo II. Since then, I have taken more advanced biology courses (Biochem, neurobiology, genetics, etc.) as well as introductory physics courses, and have 3 straight semesters with at least a 3.9 GPA ( I also took some a couple summer courses last summer) and now my GPA is about a 3.45, I'll have another two semesters of grades to send in, but let's just not consider that right now. I took the MCAT and got a 36. I'm open to going to a DO school but I would prefer getting into an MD school. So do I have a decent shot at MD schools even with the awful first three semesters?

Members don't see this ad.

yes. wait to apply until after your senior year so that your senior year grades show up on your AMCAS, though

Applicants with a 3.4 and 3.59 and a 36-38 MCAT have about a 75% chance of acceptance to one US MD program.