Chances at Texas medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNPham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.52 MCAT:30

- volunteer at hospital (100+ hours)
- shadowing specialty doctors (50+ hours)
- research lab (200+ hours)
- letters of rec from PI and human bio prof.
- upward trend from 3.0 to 3.5

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a TX resident?

If so, I've been showing TX applicants the average cGPA/MCAT for matriculated students:

1) Baylor - 73.4 (3.84, 35)
2) UT Southwestern - 72.4 (3.85, 33.9)
3) UT Houston - 69.3 (3.76, 31.7)
4) UT San Antonio - 69.1 (3.73, 31.8)
5) UTMB - 67.7 (3.87, 29)
6) TTU Lubbock - 67.5 (3.65, 31)
7) Texas A&M - 66.7 (3.66, 30.1)
8) TTU El Paso - 64.8 (3.6, 28.8)
9) TCOM - 64 (3.60, 28)

The above averages are slightly below MSAR's published averages, which are only the stats for accepted (not matriculated) students, just to get an idea of where you stand.

Your volunteering, shadowing, research hours look good. Any other EC's? Your LizzyM would be a 65.2, which is only above the average LizzyM at 2 schools, but it's close enough to other schools for you to have a successful cycle I think, provided you apply early and have a good application otherwise. It helps that you already have your MCAT score, since applicants applying in the 2015-2016 cycle who have to take the new MCAT will receive their scores in June at the earliest, and TMDSAS opens in May. I suggest you apply in May and you will at least be complete before all those taking the new MCAT.

Yes I am a TX resident.

I am involved in several organizations such as AMSA and the tennis club. I also coach little kids to play tennis. I was also a part of the new Dell Medical School student committee.

Yes I am a TX resident.

I am involved in several organizations such as AMSA and the tennis club. I also coach little kids to play tennis. I was also a part of the new Dell Medical School student committee.

Awesome! Apply early, do well in your interviews, and I think you'll be fine. There are a lot of interview question examples from each school that people post here on the SDN interview feedback page that I went over before my interviews and I don't think I had a single question at any of my 6 TX interviews that I hadn't already gone over/thought about because of those question examples. Good luck!

You have a great shot at MD and if you're worried about getting accepted you can apply DO and almost definitely get accepted with those stats. This probably isn't necessary. I would apply broadly to MD programs. Apply not only to Texas schools, but to other programs in the region or to programs that appeal to you.

What if I'm taking summer classes in the first half of summer and want to update my GPA by then?

Not to sound weird, but I attend your same school. I know countless people who have applied from here with 3.5's and 30s and gotten in. You have great EC's, the biggest thing you want to do is apply early. If you get your applications in within a week of them opening, apply to every TX school, and assuming you have good interview skills, I'd be willing to put money on at least one acceptance.

Wouldn't I have to wait until this semester grades are posted? I think it's a little bit later than the time the application opens.

Wouldn't I have to wait until this semester grades are posted? I think it's a little bit later than the time the application opens.
Yeah, but keep in mind everyone is waiting. Applications open May 1st, we usually get our grades 2-3 weeks after that. Sorry I should've clarified to apply within a week of being able to do so.

You can update your applications too right? I'm taking classes the first half of summer.

Hey guys can someone give some advice on my situation. I will have a 3.6 gpa at the end of this spring semester and plan on taking the mcat in may and get my scores on june 30. Am I aloud to apply after I get my transcript at the end of the spring semester in may instead of july because that will be a little too late?

Hey guys can someone give some advice on my situation. I will have a 3.6 gpa at the end of this spring semester and plan on taking the mcat in may and get my scores on june 30. Am I aloud to apply after I get my transcript at the end of the spring semester in may instead of july because that will be a little too late?
You can have everything ready, but I believe your application will not be completed until the MCAT score is in.

Awesome! Apply early, do well in your interviews, and I think you'll be fine. There are a lot of interview question examples from each school that people post here on the SDN interview feedback page that I went over before my interviews and I don't think I had a single question at any of my 6 TX interviews that I hadn't already gone over/thought about because of those question examples. Good luck!

What were your stats that got you 6 interviews if you don't mind me asking

What were your stats that got you 6 interviews if you don't mind me asking
No prob! I had a 3.7GPA/30MCAT....nothing special about my stats at all. I think what helped me most were my volunteering, EC's, and most importantly applying EARLY. I only applied to the 8 TMDSAS schools, but I did so around May 20th or so. If I could go back, I would have submitted on May 1st and I may have had even more success, who knows. We always hear the common sense importance of applying early from everyone, and I cannot stress it enough. My stats are definitely not 6/8 school interview worthy, but the fact that I had 4 interviews by mid/late August (schools first start interviewing Aug 1-15th or so) definitely put me at a big advantage over others with higher stats that applied later because I was at least eligible to prematch at all 6 schools (since they were all well before Nov 15th).

No prob! I had a 3.7GPA/30MCAT....nothing special about my stats at all. I think what helped me most were my volunteering, EC's, and most importantly applying EARLY. I only applied to the 8 TMDSAS schools, but I did so around May 20th or so. If I could go back, I would have submitted on May 1st and I may have had even more success, who knows. We always hear the common sense importance of applying early from everyone, and I cannot stress it enough. My stats are definitely not 6/8 school interview worthy, but the fact that I had 4 interviews by mid/late August (schools first start interviewing Aug 1-15th or so) definitely put me at a big advantage over others with higher stats that applied later because I was at least eligible to prematch at all 6 schools (since they were all well before Nov 15th).
What undergrad did you go to? With this new mcat I won't get my score until June 30 and this is going to be a huge disadvantage even though I am taking the mcat in may and if I take it in april I wouldn't get my score until jun 16. Do you think I should take it in april and then if I don't do good then take it in July or august so I can apply earlier? What were your extracurricular activities. How many hours? Thanks

What undergrad did you go to? With this new mcat I won't get my score until June 30 and this is going to be a huge disadvantage even though I am taking the mcat in may and if I take it in april I wouldn't get my score until jun 16. Do you think I should take it in april and then if I don't do good then take it in July or august so I can apply earlier? What were your extracurricular activities. How many hours? Thanks

Yeah them making it longer to get your results for the new MCAT kinda sucks, but then again most people applying will be in the same boat as you. You'll be fine since most people wont have results until June 16th or later, unless they took the old MCAT. I don't think getting your MCAT results back on June 16th or June 30th will make a big difference, it all depends on when you're at your target score on practice exams and when you'll be ready to take it - April or May? If you're trying to plan ahead and play the "what if," I know some people in the past that would take their MCAT in May for example, and afterwards immediately sign up for another MCAT in late June just in case. So for 1 month (waiting to get their scores) they would continue studying for the MCAT, and once they received their scores in early June, they would either continue studying up until their retake, or cancel their 2nd MCAT date if they were happy with their score. You will either throw away $300 if you cancel, or be prepared to retake it and do well the earliest you can so that your app is complete earlier, which is better than waiting too late in the cycle and having to reapply the next year just bc you took your MCAT too late.

I'm a TX resident. I won't mention specifics, but in addition to the typical athletics, pre-med, tutoring, etc organizations and clinical volunteering, I was involved in a few volunteer organizations catered towards the underserved from freshman - senior year. Regarding EC's, shadowing and this was probably the only thing that interviewers brought up and wanted me to talk more about, I think it helps if you're involved in some way for multiple years rather than just a week to "check it off" your application or whatever. Probably had about 150 shadowing hours with multiple physicians and 250 hours volunteering? I think you just need to express that you're passionate about the things you do, and if you say you like working with the underserved, certain populations, athletes, etc - show it in your EC's over more than just a week. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users