Chances at Texas schools? 3.39, 512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TamaleShroveDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a TMDSAS cumGPA of 3.39 and a sciGPA of 3.37.
MCAT is 512.
These are my TMDSAS-calculated stats, which are much higher than my true GPA, since I have a lot of minuses. Will these minuses matter significantly in Texas?

I have a lot of research experience with 2 publications, VP of a club, hospital volunteering, etc. Not a URM.

I'm worried my app will be filtered out by most Texas schools because of the GPA. I went to a tough undergrad and took a hard schedule if that matters much (from what I've heard, it doesn't). Would I at least be competitive for TCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Lubbock, A&M and TCOM are your best bets. Don't even think of Baylor.

Hello,
I have a TMDSAS cumGPA of 3.39 and a sciGPA of 3.37.
MCAT is 512.
These are my TMDSAS-calculated stats, which are much higher than my true GPA, since I have a lot of minuses. Will these minuses matter significantly in Texas?

I have a lot of research experience with 2 publications, VP of a club, hospital volunteering, etc. Not a URM.

I'm worried my app will be filtered out by most Texas schools because of the GPA. I went to a tough undergrad and took a hard schedule if that matters much (from what I've heard, it doesn't). Would I at least be competitive for TCOM?

Lubbock, A&M and TCOM are your best bets. Don't even think of Baylor.

Thanks. I'll probably still be applying to Baylor (and SW) even though I know its 0 chance, just because the TMDSAS makes it so easy.

Does anyone know if these schools filter out low GPAs like mine? Will my application even be looked at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'll probably still be applying to Baylor (and SW) even though I know its 0 chance, just because the TMDSAS makes it so easy.

Does anyone know if these schools filter out low GPAs like mine? Will my application even be looked at?

Historical norms put your odds of acceptance at a hair less than 50-50. Texas is known to place a particular emphasis on GPAs but it's not like people dont get accepted every year through TMDSAS with 3.4's. What is your recent grade trend over the past 3-4 semesters?

If you get shut out this cycle and want to pursue the MD route an SMP is worth consideration

Im planning on applying to out of state and DO as well, so I believe I'll get in somewhere. I'd really like it to be in Texas because of the $$$ though. If I still get shut out, an SMP is probably what I'll do.

And I have about a flat grade trend.

Im planning on applying to out of state and DO as well, so I believe I'll get in somewhere. I'd really like it to be in Texas because of the $$$ though. If I still get shut out, an SMP is probably what I'll do.

And I have about a flat grade trend.

OOS MD is not particularly likely to be fruitful; gyngyn talks about this all the time but a large number of OOS MD schools wont even consider TX applicants because they know how rare it is for them to leave the state. Typically the few that leave the state either are a) Going to top 20 schools that arent deterred by TX residency status of an applicant b) Applicants who are likely to generate significant aid money. You arent very likely to fall in either category. Note DO OOS is a different story.

Having said that I still think it might be worthwhile to throw some OOS MD schools(I've heard too many anecdotes of borderline MD applicants in Texas generating interest from lower tier OOS MD schools to think what I said above is an absolute stead-fast rule). But keep your expectations in check and dont go overboard; realize by and large your odds of getting into an MD school will largely be tied to your ability to get into one in your state. Also do keep in mind the price tags of some of these OOS MD schools. There was an applicant in the re-applicant form in a similar spot to you who generated interest from Eastern Virginia but is strongly considering just going to their Texas DO school over the OOS MD because of the price tag associated with Eastern Virginia.