Chances at Texas Schools? MCAT score dropped a point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riseagainsthoya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Georgetown Undergrad
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.74
First MCAT: 10/10/10 = 30
Second MCAT: 11/8/10 = 29 :(

Chance me for Texas Schools?

ECs
1. 1 year of research at NIH Lab
2. 2 summers of research in microbiology.
3. Worked as a hospital volunteer in ER for 270 hours.
4. Shadowed a doctor for 120 hours.
5. President of a club on campus
6. Member of some other clubs on campus.
7. Ran a couple of 5ks for Charity

Submitted my TMDSAS application on May 14th. Submitting my AMCAS application on June 19th.

TMDSAS schools (in order of preference)
1. UTSW*
2. UT-Houston*
3. UTMB*
4. UTSA
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. Texas tech - El paso

Asterisk = top choice school in Texas

AMCAS schools
1. George Washington*
2. Tufts*
3. Georgetown*
4. UMiami*
5. Albany Medical College
6. Commonwealth Medical College
7. Creighton University
8. Florida International University
9. LSU-New Orleans
10. University of Toldeo
11. Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
12. Rush Medical College
13. Tulane*
14. University of Illinois
15. University of Minnesota--Duluth
16. URochester*

* = AMCAS schools that I would be REALLY happy to go to.

I know that I have a good gpa at a good school, with decent amount of research/clinical/community service, but I am worried about my MCAT score falling below a 30. Do I have a chance at any of the TMDSAS schools that are ranked 1-3 (in my list of preferences) or any of the AMCAS schools with asterisk around them. If you can suggest any other AMCAS schools that I should apply to that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a Texas resident? If so, I think you definitely have a decent shot at the Texas schools. UT Southwestern might be a bit of a reach though, but you should still go for it. Only $10 to add a school on TMDSAS, and UT Southwestern's secondary is free.

If you aren't a resident, it is probably a long shot, as Texas public schools accept 90% in-state.

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a Texas resident? If so, I think you definitely have a decent shot at the Texas schools. UT Southwestern might be a bit of a reach though, but you should still go for it. Only $10 to add a school on TMDSAS, and UT Southwestern's secondary is free.

If you aren't a resident, it is probably a long shot, as Texas public schools accept 90% in-state.

Best of luck to you!
I am a Texas resident and my dream school is UT-Houston. I know I have no shot at UTSW. However, I am very worried about getting into UT-Houston. They say that the average gpa and mcat at UT-Houston is a 3.7/31 but I have seen people with better stats not get in. UT-Houston also says that they "look at the highest mcat score rather than the most recent". I know some faculty there that I did research with and I can get them to contact the admissions office in support of me but I don't know how much this would help.

I would be fine with UTMB or UT-Houston but UT-Houston is my top choice.

I still think you're in pretty good shape. There are certainly quite a few people who get in with an MCAT score below a 31. And you're only one point off there.

Georgetown Undergrad
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.74
First MCAT: 10/10/10 = 30
Second MCAT: 11/8/10 = 29 :(

Chance me for Texas Schools?

ECs
1. 1 year of research at NIH Lab
2. 2 summers of research in microbiology.
3. Worked as a hospital volunteer in ER for 270 hours.
4. Shadowed a doctor for 120 hours.
5. President of a club on campus
6. Member of some other clubs on campus.
7. Ran a couple of 5ks for Charity

Submitted my TMDSAS application on May 14th. Submitting my AMCAS application on June 19th.

TMDSAS schools (in order of preference)
1. UTSW*
2. UT-Houston*
3. UTMB*
4. UTSA
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. Texas tech - El paso

Asterisk = top choice school in Texas

AMCAS schools
1. George Washington*
2. Tufts*
3. Georgetown*
4. UMiami*
5. Albany Medical College
6. Commonwealth Medical College
7. Creighton University
8. Florida International University
9. LSU-New Orleans
10. University of Toldeo
11. Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
12. Rush Medical College
13. Tulane*
14. University of Illinois
15. University of Minnesota--Duluth
16. URochester*

* = AMCAS schools that I would be REALLY happy to go to.

I know that I have a good gpa at a good school, with decent amount of research/clinical/community service, but I am worried about my MCAT score falling below a 30. Do I have a chance at any of the TMDSAS schools that are ranked 1-3 (in my list of preferences) or any of the AMCAS schools with asterisk around them. If you can suggest any other AMCAS schools that I should apply to that would be great.

Just wondering why you selected MN. They have a high priority on MN residency and on serving rural MN and native pops. Do you have ties there? Otherwise its looking like it might be pretty tough to get in there.

I still think you're in pretty good shape. There are certainly quite a few people who get in with an MCAT score below a 31. And you're only one point off there.

Thanks but I am worried that neither Utmb, ut Houston or utsa will take me because of the drop on the retake. I did research with faculty at ut houston last year and I hope they can write a letter in my favor (I may have a publication on the way from this research gigg but I don't want to get my hopes up); I did research with faculty at Utmb in the summer between my freshman and sophomore year through Utmb Surp and I can also ask them to write a letter to Utmb's admissions department for me, but I don't know how much this would help.

*I am looking for some out of state schools to apply to in addition to the ones I have already applied to. I am worried about getting an acceptance to a decent MD school

You have a decent shot at UTH or UTMB. Infact, UTMB's mean mcat score for incoming students is a 28 I believe. So even your second score isn't all that bad. Southwestern will probably not be giving you much love. I was one of Southwestern's last picks when they took me off of their waitlist. I had a 3.93 and 31R with some eccentric ECs. Theres no harm in applying, you may even get an interview. Its only going to cost you 10 extra dollars. And as far as UTSA, Texas tech, and Texas A&M go, your numbers are above average for all of them. Your texas residency will do the trick for you. And george washington receives about 10K apps every cycle. I really doubt you'd be getting in there. But you don't have anything to worry about, you will definitely be getting an acceptance in some texas school.

Thanks but I am worried that neither Utmb, ut Houston or utsa will take me because of the drop on the retake. I did research with faculty at ut houston last year and I hope they can write a letter in my favor (I may have a publication on the way from this research gigg but I don't want to get my hopes up); I did research with faculty at Utmb in the summer between my freshman and sophomore year through Utmb Surp and I can also ask them to write a letter to Utmb's admissions department for me, but I don't know how much this would help.

*I am looking for some out of state schools to apply to in addition to the ones I have already applied to. I am worried about getting an acceptance to a decent MD school

Considering that you already have worked at those places, you are pretty likely to get interview invites atleast if not an acceptance. Its a fairly simple process and you don't have much to worry about lolz...You're numbers are good for both UTH and UTMB, and above average for UTSA. So yea...nothing to worry about. I applied to only 5 texas schools and didn't worry one bit lolz...Maybe something is wrong with me lolz?

Does anyone know if Texas schools are keen on accepting former residents of the state of texas? I grew up in San Antonio and Houston, but moved to New York when I was around 9 or 10; Parents wanted me close to home for college so I stayed in the NE USA, but now my folks are planning on retiring and possibly moving to the UK, so my only remaining family in america is in Texas; family has been an emotional / moral support network for me as I've made strides to build my application, and I owe much of my success to them - I don't want to break this chain, I want to get back to texas. My father is buried beside my grandfather in San Antonio; and I too will be buried beside my father, as will my brother.

Some stats:

3.31 uGPA
3.22 sGPA
Taking MCAT on 8/17 (conservative estimate is 33 / 34) aiming for higher tough

Does anyone know if Texas schools are keen on accepting former residents of the state of texas? I grew up in San Antonio and Houston, but moved to New York when I was around 9 or 10; Parents wanted me close to home for college so I stayed in the NE USA, but now my folks are planning on retiring and possibly moving to the UK, so my only remaining family in america is in Texas; family has been an emotional / moral support network for me as I've made strides to build my application, and I owe much of my success to them - I don't want to break this chain, I want to get back to texas. My father is buried beside my grandfather in San Antonio; and I too will be buried beside my father, as will my brother.

Some stats:

3.31 uGPA
3.22 sGPA
Taking MCAT on 8/17 (conservative estimate is 33 / 34) aiming for higher tough

As long as you can make a good case of why you want to ultimately be in texas. But, your undergrad GPA might make things really difficult. Even as a texas resident it would be difficult getting admitted with that GPA.