Chances at Top 20 MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mystifire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey whats going on. As abbreviated and to the point as possible:

First time applicant. Graduated in Spring 2012

GPA: 4.0s and 4.0c. Large Public undergrad.
MCAT: 12 PS 10 VR 12 BS Writing - S

Volunteered about 200 hrs in med settings and about 150 hrs in non-med across about 5 places and venues. No international experience.
Shadowed for about 60 hours
2 officer positions lasting a semester or two each.
2 yrs research, no pubs, 3-5 poster presentations. 1 SURF program.
Some awards and scholarships
Worked two years as an ED scribe
Minimal arts/sports ECs.

Id call my PS OK to decent.. Didnt work on it as much as i should have
Id say 3 strong letters, 2 good letters.

FAP recipient. Checked the disadvantaged box. Mainland Puerto Rican.

Late Applicant. Verified late Sept and all LOR and secondaries sent in thru early Oct.

Applying to a large range of schools but want a Top 20. I hit up about 14 of them. Please provide feedback concerning my chances at a Top 20 school.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

You've already applied and are now wondering what your chances are? People here can give you either a false sense of hope or a false sense of worry, either way it's not going to be very helpful. About all I can say is that you have a pretty good chance for what it's worth. Good luck.

Hey whats going on. As abbreviated and to the point as possible:

First time applicant. Graduated in Spring 2012

GPA: 4.0s and 4.0c. Large Public undergrad.
MCAT: 12 PS 10 VR 12 BS Writing - S

Volunteered about 200 hrs in med settings and about 150 hrs in non-med across about 5 places and venues. No international experience.
Shadowed for about 60 hours
2 officer positions lasting a semester or two each.
2 yrs research, no pubs, 3-5 poster presentations. 1 SURF program.
Some awards and scholarships
Worked two years as an ED scribe
Minimal arts/sports ECs.

Id call my PS OK to decent.. Didnt work on it as much as i should have
Id say 3 strong letters, 2 good letters.

FAP recipient. Checked the disadvantaged box. Mainland Puerto Rican.

Late Applicant. Verified late Sept and all LOR and secondaries sent in thru early Oct.

Applying to a large range of schools but want a Top 20. I hit up about 14 of them. Please provide feedback concerning my chances at a Top 20 school.

Thank You
Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine. Was your listed Leadership substantive? Did you enough of a difference so as to suggest you have that potential?

Did your research allow for your creative input or for developing your own project?

Did your nonmedical community service involve any hands-on service to the poor?

What about listed Hobbies that aren't related to sport or artistic expression?

Do any of your activities show that you remain engaged with your ethnic community?

Your clinical experience looks terrific, BTW.

Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine. Was your listed Leadership substantive? Did you enough of a difference so as to suggest you have that potential?

It was substantiative enough to learn and practice a few new skills myself but by no means did I significantly change the course of an entire organization. The difference that I made was to step up and volunteer to do chair jobs which challenged myself to come up with new ideas and take on significant responsibilities.

Did your research allow for your creative input or for developing your own project?

Yes. I did a thesis and definitely had to independently review and assess literature in order to rationalize the methodological novelties I contributed to my project. Granted, this project's skeleton was provided by my PI.

Did your nonmedical community service involve any hands-on service to the poor?

I saw a very indigent population in my scribe job. Some of my non clinical service was with inner city students. Some of it was with animals ( I know not poor, but it's what I liked ).

What about listed Hobbies that aren't related to sport or artistic expression?

I have hobbies i actually do for enjoyment but am not really accomplished in anything accolades-wise.

Do any of your activities show that you remain engaged with your ethnic community?

Well I feel i remain engaged in my ethnic community all day. It's what I grew up in and where my support network is rooted. My family and friends back home, who i talk to all the time, are my community, and many of them are ethnically the same as me. In college? I won an award directed at Hispanic students. I won awards directed at undergrad minorities in biomedical research.

Your clinical experience looks terrific, BTW.

Thank you for your reply :) I appreciate the feedback

Last edited: