Chances at USC MHA and SDSU MPH Health Management/Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kvn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: I do not want to attend SDSU anymore.

Hello everyone! =)

First and foremost, I hope everyone is having a pleasant holiday season. With Christmas just over, I am now back on the grind for my graduate school applications and I am hoping to gain some insight about where I stand with my two desired programs- USC's MHA and Cornell's MHA

I would like to start with a brief background about myself. My career goal is to work in healthcare administration/management, primarily in a hospital setting. I have a passion for promoting the lives of others and I believe that my strong suit in this regard lies on the business side. With that being said, I plan on obtaining an advanced degree after my undergraduate studies. I am applying to these schools are CAHME accredited, which I have researched to be important (correct me if I am wrong). My dream would to attend Cornell or hopefully USC.

Statistics:
Undergraduate university: San Diego State University
Undergraduate major: Economics- Quantitative Analysis
GPA: 3.64 (Plan on graduating with a 3.65+)
Expected graduation date: May 2015
GRE Scores: Will be taking it late January (just in time for SDSU's deadline of Feb. 15) and perhaps another time before USC's deadline in July
Volunteer: I volunteer over 50 hours per year; however, this pertains to various non-profits/organizations, which does not pertain to healthcare too much

Accomplishments/Experience:
1) President of a fraternity
-Managed a $70,000 budget
-Catered to the needs of over 100 members
2) Leader of a team that won $1,000 for a charity run
3) Current academic tutor
4) Had multiple jobs during college
5) Executive member for a non-profit organization that raised money for underdeveloped areas in Ecuador
6) Over 6 semesters on the Dean's List

I do understand that I have not taken the GRE yet, but I would like to know if I have a chance at either school. It is my sole obligation this winter break to study for the GRE and I hope to do well come test day. Perhaps another way to view this thread is: how well do I have to do on the GRE to have a chance? In regards to letter of recommendations, I have more than what is required.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time in reading this. Once again, happy holidays =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, with your GPA, I think you can get into better schools. And I think 155+ GRE would be enough for you since you have a stellar GPA. Good luck,

Thank you for the response! I think I will be considering other options as well now too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: I made the choice to not apply to SDSU anymore. My two choices are now Cornell and USC.

Please feel free to recommend me more schools, particularly one with an application deadline no earlier than February 10.

Update: I made the choice to not apply to SDSU anymore. My two choices are now Cornell and USC.

Please feel free to recommend me more schools, particularly one with an application deadline no earlier than February 10.
where did you end up going and how do you like it?