Chances? Biomed Engineering cgpa 4.0/sgpa 4.0/26 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1590

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
long time lurker, first time poster.

Just got my mcat score back: REMOVED FOR CYCLE
I'm a Texas resident. Applying to all the schools in Texas, including TCOM for 2015 entry.

Have a 4.0 in REMOVED FOR CYCLE, and I am really deciding whether I should retake the MCAT. My composite was much lower than my AAMC avg (30), but still nothing below an 8 so idk whether I should retake. Would I even be considered at any Texas allopathic schools?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Almost all Texas medical schools (minus Baylor, UTSW, and UT Houston) have an accepted 10-90th percentile range beginning at a 26 MCAT. Unless you believe you can raise your score to ~30 ASAP, I would recommend applying now. It will be a challenge, but you have a great GPA and TMDSAS has already been receiving applications for almost a month and a half so you need to get your application in as soon as possible. As for the application, any volunteering hours? Are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already submitted my primary and all of my secondaries. I do have it listed that I will be retaking the MCAT on July 2nd. I'm Caucasian.. unfortunately. My AAMC avg was a 30 so I'm not exactly sure what to do :shrug:

And no, I do not have any volunteering, just listed volunteering as a planned activity. I do have quite a few academic awards and some leadership.

You're fine for nearly all DO schools, so start with TCOM.

Almost all Texas medical schools (minus Baylor, UTSW, and UT Houston) have an accepted 10-90th percentile range beginning at a 26 MCAT. Unless you believe you can raise your score to ~30 ASAP, I would recommend applying now. It will be a challenge, but you have a great GPA and TMDSAS has already been receiving applications for almost a month and a half so you need to get your application in as soon as possible. As for the application, any volunteering hours? Are you URM?

Hey guys,
long time lurker, first time poster.

Just got my mcat score back: 26 (8VR/9PS/9BS)...
I'm a Texas resident. Applying to all the schools in Texas, including TCOM for 2015 entry.

Have a 4.0 in Biomedical Engineering (just finished junior year), and I am really deciding whether I should retake the MCAT. My composite was much lower than my AAMC avg (30), but still nothing below an 8 so idk whether I should retake. Would I even be considered at any Texas allopathic schools?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
st GeorgeGeorge

No offense but if you have a 4.0 sGPA in an engineering discipline how did you get a 9 in PS?

Reactions: 1 user
Finished all TMDSAS apps and secondaries about a week ago. Gonna focus on studying for a late-july retake. Thank you guys for the input.

No offense but if you have a 4.0 sGPA in an engineering discipline how did you get a 9 in PS?

No offense taken. I thought the same thing. I averaged an 11-12 in both PS and BS with minimal content review. My verbal had always been low. One of my stupidest decisions was trying to study for the MCAT while enrolled full-time. That was poor planning. No excuses for that

The lack of volunteering will also hurt -- But you've already submitted, so study for that MCAT retake and hope for the best.

Also, if you do substantially better on the MCAT (which I suspect you will) it might still come too late to help you this cycle, so I'd suggest hedging your bets and ramping up your EC activities and volunteering in anticipation of possibly having to reapply next year. (A slight slip in the GPA won't hurt your application -- poor ECs will.)

If you do get some interview invitations this year, being able to relate some stories from your volunteering will help, so the time won't be wasted.

You have a shot if you can do better on the MCAT, and I think you're golden for TCOM.

The exam forms are scaled individually to adjust for the difficulty distribution of the questions. Claiming a particular exam form was the reason you scored poorly is just an excuse for insufficient prep.

I did not claim this. But everything that showed up on May 8th, was everything I was insufficiently prepared for or hadn't reviewed for years. So... I'm obviously unlucky, but regardless I am studying now for a retake on July 25th. Hopefully I will see better results. I also did not do any individual practice or review for verbal, just took the AAMCs and never looked back, so I will definitely be doing ALOT of verbal practice +pity+

I did not claim this. But everything that showed up on May 8th, was everything I was insufficiently prepared for or hadn't reviewed for years. So... I'm obviously unlucky, but regardless I am studying now for a retake on July 25th. Hopefully I will see better results. I also did not do any individual practice or review for verbal, just took the AAMCs and never looked back, so I will definitely be doing ALOT of verbal practice +pity+
Oh I wasn't asserting that you did, I was just responding to Theseus.

Ended up getting a 32!! :D I'm hoping that will be enough to get some acceptances. Thank you guys

Reactions: 1 users