MD Chances - cGPA: 3.29 sGPA 3.41 smpGPA: 3.7 MCAT 31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sroque36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post to SDN and I was hoping to get some advice on my chances of getting accepted into medical school and to what schools in particular. I just graduated from the Masters of Biomedical Science program at Rutgers GSBS - Newark. I have been a resident of New Jersey for 15 years but was born in California and now moving in with my parents in San Diego. The schools I am applying to are FIU, UMiami, UC Riverside, NJMS, Cooper, UC Davis and UC Irvine. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions on where else to apply. Thank you very much.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.299
Science GPA: 3.412
smp GPA: 3.70
MCAT: 31 (11BS, 11PS, 9VR)
NBME Physiology Shelf Exam: 79th percentile
Home State: California (Just moved back here after living in Florida for 9 and New Jersey for 15 years.)
Demographics: Male Hispanic American (Mexican/Cuban)
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Exercise Physiology from Rutgers University - New Brunswick, Masters of Biomedical Sciences from Rutgers GSBS - Newark

Extra/Co-Curricular Engagements:
Research/Lab:
Biomedical Research 500hrs in two different Labs
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation: Robert Wood Johnson Physician Shadowing Program - 60 hrs (1 semester); University Hospital Emergency Room Volunteer - 200 hrs
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical: Week long Medical Relief Trip to Torti Abajo, Panama with Rutgers Global Medical Brigades chapter; 360 hrs as a Medical assistant at an Allergy & Immunology office
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant: NBME Physiology Shelf Exam Tutor for a month
Paid Employment: Part time Pharmacy Technician for 5 years; Full time Lab Tech at Roche Molecular Diagnostic for 2 years

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Target CA and NJ schools well before Florida ones, except U Miami.
Thank you so much for the reply! So would the schools I am targeting now with the exception for FIU be reasonable with my credentials?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I would consider
All NJ schools
UC Davis
UC Irvine
USC
Miami
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
Oakland
Western Michigan
Quinnipac
Penn State
Tulane
Wake Forest
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Creighton
Albany
Wright State
Tufts
NYMC
Medical College Wisconsin
U of Arizona(maybe)
Vermont(maybe)

There a couple other schools I've seen Goro and other ADCOMS list in the past that really value strong SMP showings like Va Tech and Ohio State but I don't know anything about that specifically so I'm not going to recommend(your 31 also places some limitations on recommending those schools with higher MCAT averages). Anyway, apply broadly and I think you should get II's. The NJ residency will help and there are definitely some schools you can leave off when applying I listed if you want; this is just more of a guide of the schools I would consider from.

NJ schools and ones that have SMP programs themselves(think Tulane, Georgetown, Tufts, Rosalind etc) are the ones that should be your top priority.

You need to apply to more schools than the ones you listed and @GrapesofWrath has listed many that are appropriate for your stats.

Thanks so much for the advice I really appreciate it!