Chances? cGPA:3.46, sGPA:3.36, MCAT 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jboy2460

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am not sure how I stand for this upcoming application cycle.

I am a Senior graduating with a BS in Biology and a BS in Psychology. I am an EMT-B with over 800 hours, I also have a CNA certification. I have worked the past 5 summers as a lifeguard. I shadowed an anesthesiologist for close to 20 hours and got a letter of rec. I also have a pre-health committee letter of rec. I am looking at applying to close to 12 DO schools but these are my top picks: PCOM, NSU-COM, UMDNJ-COM, LECOM, VCOM.

here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.46 (with a strong upward trend, and should be a 3.5 after this semester)
sGPA: 3.36 (also, hopefully a little higher after this semester)
MCAT 1: 26
MCAT 2: taking in march.

I am just looking for some feedback on the strength of my stats and where I stand currently with applying this May. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Senior graduating with a BS in Biology and a BS in Psychology. I am an EMT-B with over 800 hours, I also have a CNA certification. I have worked the past 5 summers as a lifeguard. I shadowed an anesthesiologist for close to 20 hours and got a letter of rec. I also have a pre-health committee letter of rec. I am looking at applying to close to 12 DO schools but these are my top picks: PCOM, NSU-COM, UMDNJ-COM, LECOM, VCOM.

here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.46 (with a strong upward trend, and should be a 3.5 after this semester)

I am just looking for some feedback on the strength of my stats and where I stand currently with applying this May. Thank you!

Chances look beautiful as is. No need to retake unless you have a 3 in a section or something.

here are my stats:

Your chances are good with those stats... You should would not retake the MCAT unless you want to apply to some low-to-mid tier MD as well...If you get a lower score in your retake, that will put a red flag in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO, you are fine. I'd even cancel the retake and try to get your money back unless your scores are way out of balance. Nova is supposedly an MCAT-leaning school but I got an interview with a ~3.1/27.

Chances excellent

here are my stats:

I don't think your chances are excellent, they are good. Excellent would be if you had a 28+ MCAT. And I think your list is "top" heavy. PCOM, UMDNJ, and LECOM get a lot of applicants and I think they have around a 28 MCAT average. VCOM is slowly accepting students with higher MCATs but they do accept 25s.

This is my opinion- feel free to rip me apart if I'm wrong. Also, you do have a lot of clinical experience so that'll buffer the low MCAT and GPA.

I don't think your chances are excellent, they are good. Excellent would be if you had a 28+ MCAT. And I think your list is "top" heavy. PCOM, UMDNJ, and LECOM get a lot of applicants and I think they have around a 28 MCAT average. VCOM is slowly accepting students with higher MCATs but they do accept 25s.

This is my opinion- feel free to rip me apart if I'm wrong. Also, you do have a lot of clinical experience so that'll buffer the low MCAT and GPA.
LECOM is totally doable and I supremely doubt that Erie's MCAT avg is a 28. True for PCOM/UMDNJ.

here are my stats:

Get a 28+ on that retake and you are going to have a real nice cycle. Do some more shadowing too if you can. Was the gas doc a DO? DO LOR would help.

Be careful of a top heavy school list if you don't improve on the 26. What is your home state?

Same as everyone else has stated. You should be good for DO schools. Apply early and apply BROADLY. This is a mistake made by many. Don't just apply to top DO schools, apply to the low-tier schools and new schools, too.
Good luck! :luck:

LECOM is totally doable and I supremely doubt that Erie's MCAT avg is a 28. True for PCOM/UMDNJ.

Get a 28+ on that retake and you are going to have a real nice cycle. Do some more shadowing too if you can. Was the gas doc a DO? DO LOR would help.

Be careful of a top heavy school list if you don't improve on the 26. What is your home state?

Thank you! I shadowed a DO and got his letter of recommendation. I am from New Jersey, but I am doing my undergrad in Virginia. Like I said, I plan on applying to 12-15 schools, but those listed are my top picks (if I got the chance to be choosy). I am hoping for the best as far as the next MCAT goes, but any increase in score, even if just up to a 27 or 28, would be nice. I have a great personal statement and have been on a few mock interviews and have gotten nothing but positive feedback.

You probably already have a good chance at UMDNJ in that case. If your retake goes well you should have a very strong chance there I would think. PCOM is kind of a toss-up because of how many people apply there but your stats would leave you with a shot.

You're going to have a good cycle I reckon, apply early and enjoy it.

I disagree, I think you should retake the MCAT. If you improve, it will greatly increase your chances at getting into a top DO school like PCOM and UMDNJ.

I disagree, I think you should retake the MCAT. If you improve, it will greatly increase your chances at getting into a top DO school like PCOM and UMDNJ.

I agree, you won't believe how many doors open with just a 2 point difference (26 to a 28).

But with that score, you should be able to get into a DO school.

I agree, you won't believe how many doors open with just a 2 point difference (26 to a 28).

But with that score, you should be able to get into a DO school.

The reason that re-takes are risky is that the screener expects at a minimum an improvement of one or two points just from retaking the test. In other words 28 or less gives this OP very little, if any advantage. If he gets the same score or worse he has defined the limits of his test taking ability quite clearly in a way that is not to his benefit.

You are right that a first test result of 28 would have opened more doors, though.