Chances? Feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ab_kaka8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted some feedback on my potential application after graduating undergrad...

- I would probably be graduating with a 3.4 sGPA and 3.65 cGPA
- My extracurriculars would include: working at a clinic for some time, volunteering 200+ hours, doing some research, tutoring colleagues, mentoring the youth, being a student-athlete, and working part-time in and out of jobs.

I just want some feedback and also what MCAT score would be ideal to improve my chances. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The numbers are competitive, although the sGPA is somewhat limiting to the lower tier MD schools. They're fine for any DO school.

The median MCAT for MD schools is ~31 on the old scale, and ~510 on the new test.

Wanted some feedback on my potential application after graduating undergrad...

- I would probably be graduating with a 3.4 sGPA and 3.65 cGPA
- My extracurriculars would include: working at a clinic for some time, volunteering 200+ hours, doing some research, tutoring colleagues, mentoring the youth, being a student-athlete, and working part-time in and out of jobs.

I just want some feedback and also what MCAT score would be ideal to improve my chances. Thanks in advance!

The higher your MCAT score the better. Your science GPA is at least 0.2 below the average for MD matriculants. That said, anything above the 80th percentile on the MCAT makes the MD's well worth an admission cycle. Ideally, anything above the 90th percentile would give you a very legitimate shot at admission. But these are all strong generalizations. Many other factors matter; two that in particular come to mind are a) trends in the sGPA b) state of residence.

For DO admission anything around 50th+ percentile on the MCAT will make you competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
The higher your MCAT score the better. Your science GPA is at least 0.2 below the average for MD matriculants. That said, anything above the 80th percentile on the MCAT makes the MD's well worth an admission cycle. Ideally, anything above the 90th percentile would give you a very legitimate shot at admission. But these are all strong generalizations. Many other factors matter; two that in particular come to mind are a) trends in the sGPA b) state of residence.

For DO admission anything around 50th+ percentile on the MCAT will make you competitive.

I know it's tough but I want to make sure I get into a med school in NY. Would my extracurriculars help me in any way?

I know it's tough but I want to make sure I get into a med school in NY. Would my extracurriculars help me in any way?

Your EC's are fine but its very hard and very rare for EC's to carry stats if they are average/below average to the point they assure someone being accepted to a select group of schools. As is your science GPA is already around 0.2 below the median which while not lethal puts you a in position where being choosy about where to go isn't necessairly the best thing.

If you want to stay in new york apply to NYITCOM and Touro. It'll greatly increase your chances of being accepted in state.

All this discussion is mooth without an MCAT by the way. Your expectations and goals can change substantially based off you do on that and there really is no way to know without taking it.

Reactions: 1 user