Chances?? Feeling distraught...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoodisGood163

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. So I took the MCAT on June 19th and ended up with this prelim:

C/P: 85-100%
CARS: 28-43%
B/B: 85-100%
P/S: 50-65%
Composite: 68-78%

I have a cGPA of 3.66 and a sGPA of 3.64.

My ECs are:
- 2 semesters of being a TA for Bio 1 and Behavioral Neuroscience
- 200 hours of volunteering at a hospital
- 120 hours Physics 2 tutor
- 170 hours of research (over two semesters)
- Cardiac electrophysiology clinic scribe for 600 hours
- 1260 hours as a medical assistant
- Good community service
- member of school's pre-health honors society

I also have 5 really good LORs.

This is my second MCAT. How are my chances for MD and DO for Texas? Obviously that verbal score is not doing any favors for my chances...I would like to be finished with this beast. Any thoughts? I'm very, very anxious :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry but that verbal is a killer, especially for MD. But based on your really good Bio/Phys sections, I'd apply out to all TX MD schools (but don't expect much) and any DO schools that you like--DO chances are very good. Just my opinion though.

I will say that I am lucky Texas schools will not screen out based on making a certain score or lower...but I really hope that the verbal score isn't an instant out. I mean, 7 isn't too bad for a verbal section right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say that I am lucky Texas schools will not screen out based on making a certain score or lower...but I really hope that the verbal score isn't an instant out. I mean, 7 isn't too bad for a verbal section right?
I'm not familiar enough with the percentile vs. old MCAT scale, unfortunately. Does 28-43% put you at 7? I posted previously with the assumption that it would be more like a 6. If 7, your in-state chances are somewhat more attainable. OOS MD programs is still not worth applying, IMO.

Chances OK for TX, and fine for DO schools.

Hey, guys. So I took the MCAT on June 19th and ended up with this prelim:

C/P: 85-100%
CARS: 28-43%
B/B: 85-100%
P/S: 50-65%
Composite: 68-78%

I have a cGPA of 3.66 and a sGPA of 3.64.

My ECs are:
- 2 semesters of being a TA for Bio 1 and Behavioral Neuroscience
- 200 hours of volunteering at a hospital
- 120 hours Physics 2 tutor
- 170 hours of research (over two semesters)
- Cardiac electrophysiology clinic scribe for 600 hours
- 1260 hours as a medical assistant
- Good community service
- member of school's pre-health honors society

I also have 5 really good LORs.

This is my second MCAT. How are my chances for MD and DO for Texas? Obviously that verbal score is not doing any favors for my chances...I would like to be finished with this beast. Any thoughts? I'm very, very anxious :(

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not familiar enough with the percentile vs. old MCAT scale, unfortunately. Does 28-43% put you at 7? I posted previously with the assumption that it would be more like a 6. If 7, your in-state chances are somewhat more attainable. OOS MD programs is still not worth applying, IMO.

I thought it was a 7. I might have looked at the conversion chart incorrectly. I spoke with medical schools in my state concerning comparing the old MCAT with the new and they told me that they wouldn't. I hope that means that they will be more lenient with certain sub-par scores. I hope it's a 7...

Apply to all the Texas schools, including the new ones (Dell and Rio Grande). You should be fine for DO schools as long as you apply broadly to at least 10 schools.

Thanks for the advice, all. Sorry for revisiting this thread again, but I'm having trouble figuring out a school list. So far, I've got all the Texas schools along with Indiana, U of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee HSC. Any suggestions? :/

Thanks for the advice, all. Sorry for revisiting this thread again, but I'm having trouble figuring out a school list. So far, I've got all the Texas schools along with Indiana, U of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee HSC. Any suggestions? :/
OOS MD schools have learned to only interview the TX applicants that would qualify for a recruitment scholarship.
Only 193 TX applicants matriculated OOS last year.
Your best OOS chances are DO.

Do not apply to any OOS public schools and all those you listed are OOS public schools which give a strong preference to their own residents. Do apply to 10 or more DO schools.

Your chances are ZERO at these state schools. Stick with TX.

So far, I've got all the Texas schools along with Indiana, U of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee HSC. Any suggestions? :/[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. Thank you for the tip. I guess I'll go ahead and start the AACOMAS app. Will I be considered late sending in my DO primary this month?

Hey guys, sorry about bumping this again. I'm trying to make a list of DO schools that I can apply to in conjunction with TMDSAS schools. Based on my stats, can someone suggest some schools? I've been looking around, and I really like LECOM, PCOM, NOVA, and UNECOM just based on what they have to offer.