Chances for 2013 Application for Texas Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaymezYu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I know I've posted long time ago but my stats changed a little bit so I was wondering if anyone can give me insight :]

Current:
Cum GPA: 3.200
sGPA: 3.093
- Hopefully I"ll Have a cGPA of 3.3 and sGPA of 3.19 by the end of this summer, with
slight upper trend (just two semesters of getting better grades and Going to graduate in
the fall of 2012)

Mcat: 27N
-going to Retake it during next spring and hope to get above 30

Research:
-2 years in undergrad program involving molecular biology etc.

Volunteering/Shadowing
-Surgeon - 25 hrs of Shadowing
-Pediatrician - 30 hours of Shadowing
-Voluteering - 100 hours at Methodist

other EC's
-Philantropy Chair for fraternity 2 years in a row - raised over $8000 total for lance
Armstrong foundation
-Treasurer - for Fraternity
-AED medical honor society Member

Work Experience:
-Dental Receptionist
-Optometric Technician
Both involve pretesting patients etc.

With my apps what should I improve upon and if a post- bacc should be considered when applying to Texas Schools in 2013. Any Advice Helps, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is doing UNTHSC's SMP, and apparently it really enables students to get their feet in the door at TCOM. I would consider applying to that if you'd really like to stay in Texas for medical school.

Otherwise, your new MCAT score will probably need to be pretty high in order to make up for your GPA.

You'll definitely need at least a 32+ MCAT to remotely compensate for your GPA, luckily for you Texas Med School numbers are lower than the national average, and you're competing against less people since they're all heavily IS, with the exception of UTSW/Baylor.

Do your best to buff up your EC's before you apply next summer, you could definitely use some more CV, but the real deciding factor for you at this point is your new MCAT score.

I'd also recommend submitting an AACOMAS as well just in case you don't get any love from Texas schools, and schools which you apply to through AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is doing UNTHSC's SMP, and apparently it really enables students to get their feet in the door at TCOM. I would consider applying to that if you'd really like to stay in Texas for medical school.

Otherwise, your new MCAT score will probably need to be pretty high in order to make up for your GPA.
Thanks!! That was what I was actually considering, the SMP at UNT. How hard was it to get into the Program?

You'll definitely need at least a 32+ MCAT to remotely compensate for your GPA, luckily for you Texas Med School numbers are lower than the national average, and you're competing against less people since they're all heavily IS, with the exception of UTSW/Baylor.

Do your best to buff up your EC's before you apply next summer, you could definitely use some more CV, but the real deciding factor for you at this point is your new MCAT score.

I'd also recommend submitting an AACOMAS as well just in case you don't get any love from Texas schools, and schools which you apply to through AMCAS.
Thanks! But what does CV stand for? lol

Thanks!! That was what I was actually considering, the SMP at UNT. How hard was it to get into the Program?

I've never heard any actual statistics about the program, but I've known someone who has gotten in with a 19. Then there was another guy whose science GPA was less than a 3.0.

That being said, I don't think your stats will be a huge deficit to you. Just make sure you really sell why you're interested in health care and why you would love to be a part of their program!

This:thumbup: UNT's SMP is great. Many of the students I talk with (I did research there last/this summer) have about 3.4ish and 27ish MCAT stats. You walk away with pretty good acceptance chances and a masters...good deal. I really like the staff here and will be applying. I say go for it.

Hey guys, so for the UNT program does it conflict with interviews, secondaries etc. I mean like since I haven't applied yet and this will be my first time in the summer of 2013, should I focus mainly on applications or still do this program since it doesn't interfere with the application process. Thanks!

Update:
Graduated Fall 2012
cGPA: 3.2490
sGPS: 3.19

MCAT: 32 (11P/09V/12B)

Plus
>100 volunteering

Couldn't do a post-bacc at UNT cuz of family issues...

What are my chances now? Especially as aTexas Resident??