Chances for ANY Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrEbola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a high school Junior, but "graduated".

In California, high school students are able to take a test called the "California High School Proficiency Examination", which basically is supposed to be the "Legal Equivalent" to a High school diploma, in California. I have taken, and passed, this test, and now am "Officially graduated".

In freshman and the beginning of sophomore year, I was doing great in school. A's and B's mostly. However, in the middle of sophomore year, my parents decided to take me out of public school and plopped me into an Online charter school. This SEVERELY damaged my grade's. I then got a job, and completely stopped working on any school work, with the exception of logging in daily to get attendance.

I have almost no credits (with the exception of a few from Freshman and a part of sophomore year), so I will need to attend a community college, at least for two years.

What I need to know is: What are my chances of getting into a Medical school after college? I'm not naive enough to think, "Oh I am getting into Harvard Medical School". Any medical school which will allow me to become a medical doctor, which is something I have wanted to do since I can remember.

I am also planning on becoming a paramedic as soon as I turn 18 (well, begin training in all prerequisites ). Will this help at all?

tl;dr: I messed up my life, have no high school credit, however have a "high school diploma". What are my chances of getting into ANY medical school?

Also, please forgive any grammatical errors as I am writing this on my cell phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all!

In California, high school students are able to take a test called the "California High School Proficiency Examination", which basically is supposed to be the "Legal Equivalent" to a High school diploma, in California. I have taken, and passed, this test, and now am "Officially graduated".

In freshman and the beginning of sophomore year, I was doing great in school. A's and B's mostly. However, in the middle of sophomore year, my parents decided to take me out of public school and plopped me into an Online charter school. This SEVERELY damaged my grade's. I then got a job, and completely stopped working on any school work, with the exception of logging in daily to get attendance.

I have almost no credits (with the exception of a few from Freshman and a part of sophomore year), so I will need to attend a community college, at least for two years.

What I need to know is: What are my chances of getting into a Medical school after college? I'm not naive enough to think, "Oh I am getting into Harvard Medical School". Any medical school which will allow me to become a medical doctor, which is something I have wanted to do since I can remember.

I am also planning on becoming a paramedic as soon as I turn 18 (well, begin training in all prerequisites ). Will this help at all?

tl;dr: I messed up my life, have no high school credit, however have a "high school diploma". What are my chances of getting into ANY medical school?

Also, please forgive any grammatical errors as I am writing this on my cell phone.

Medical schools won't ask and won't care about anything that happened in high school.

Do well at your community college and aim to transfer to a four-year college. With good grades and a decent MCAT score, you will be in good shape for medical school.

For the first time, I second what 113 said. Destroy in UG, and forget hs. I, for example, graduated hs with a 2.5 GPA. Didn't affect anything. ;)

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm doing medicin in tbilisi medical acadamy and i'm in 2nd yr can i move to a premedical college in u.s or canada without wasting my year?

Hello all!

Luckily for you, virtually nothing that happens in high school matters to med school adcoms. Go to community college, then transfer to a 4-year and start rocking the pre-reqs. Get good extracurriculars and a good MCAT score, and even somewhere like Harvard isn't out of reach! :)

Do note, however: your community college grades DO matter. Don't wait to get A's until you transfer; start now. You essentially have a blank slate going into this. Don't squander that opportunity.