Chances for DO? 3.7 cGPA. 3.6sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiAlH4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: taking on June 17. just got 24 on 1st kaplan full length (PS: 6, V: 10, BS: 8). hoping for 30 (or atleast 28) on real thing.
NY resident. Top choices probably LECOM, PCOM, NYCOM (not really sure at this point)

clinical: 40 hrs shadowing a MD (psychiatrist), 50+ hrs shadowing DO (family practice), 60+ hrs patient contact as hospital volunteer (E.R, amb. surg., cardiac telemetry)

research: 3 years neuropsychology research (2 posters, 1 pub), independent summer research project (1 poster)

EC's: have worked at a restaurant 10-15 hrs/wk during semesters and 40 hrs/wk during breaks throughout undergrad, play ice hockey, gen chem teaching assistant, member of following clubs: neuroscience club, film society, snowboard club, pre-medical association

awards: president's award for student excellence honorable mention

leadership: gen chem teaching assistant, volunteer youth ice hockey coach

so, pending my MCAT score..what are my chances at DO? Please be brutally honest. Also, any suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that you've got a good chance if you can score a 26+ on the mcat. I'd say that a 28 would make you very competitive for the big DO schools like Pcom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe he wants to go DO

I am actually a "she"; it was probably the fact that I play hockey that lead you to think otherwise. anyway, yes at this point I am actively choosing DO. I may apply to instate MD as well.

Thanks for the input so far!

I feel like I will fit in better at a DO school. The more integrated way of teaching appeals to me. I am still currently in limbo between DO and MD, but I more than likely will apply to both.

perception, residency, etc...

Yes i do understand and respect your point. It is something I think about daily. Also, I am going to apply to DO schools in June (before I know my MCAT score), but would you suggest waiting for my MCAT scores to apply to MD schools? I'm just thinking, what if I only score a 28, I will be wasting time and money on the application.

not the best move...MD is an easier road.
:rolleyes: doesn't cut it.
EyeRoll.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you decide you'd rather go MD, make sure you apply to some DOs to be safe. You might regret it later.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the input!

Yes i do understand and respect your point. It is something I think about daily. Also, I am going to apply to DO schools in June (before I know my MCAT score), but would you suggest waiting for my MCAT scores to apply to MD schools? I'm just thinking, what if I only score a 28, I will be wasting time and money on the application.

One of the most important things is submitting early....

tough call...Maybe base off practice scores....consistently above a 30..go for it?

MCAT: taking on June 17. just got 24 on 1st kaplan full length (PS: 6, V: 10, BS: 8). hoping for 30 (or atleast 28) on real thing.
NY resident. Top choices probably LECOM, PCOM, NYCOM (not really sure at this point)
With your cGPA, your chances for DO are fine with an MCAT of 24. To appeal to the more selective DO schools, you'd want a 28-29 MCAT score if possible. Plan to get a letter of recommendation from your DO shadowing doc as some DO schools require this.

Your shadowing hours are fine, but the clinical experience is on the light side. I would continue to beef up the hospital volunteering before you apply. You have good teaching experiences and the research is terrific (a pub being golden).

You have plenty of time for some intense MCAT study before the real thing. Stay focused.

Competitive.. no. Have a chance, yes.

This person is wrong

With a decent MCAT, you should apply to MD...I'm not too sure what you mean by integrated curriculum. It's pretty well integrated in MD schools too. Just don't limit yourself. I would do MD if you get a 28 or higher....

Your EC's are pretty strong. I think you could do well if you applied smart and early.

Being slightly below average is not "competitive". Don't get me wrong, even having a 50% chance of getting accepted at any once school would mean that you'd get accepted this year if you apply broadly enough, but I'm just calling them as I see them.

The EC's are decent, not strong. Overloaded on the research, but way below average clinical experience. Above-average volunteering.

why settle for DO? with a 30+ MCAT you are competitive for MD....

You do realize that this elicited the response it did because you said she would be settling. Many posters here make a point that DO is not just a fall back option, so don't be surprised when you get responses like that. Not judging, just saying that your comment comes off as condescending towards those who made the DO choice for reasons other than failure to get into an MD program - but I guess posts like yours are part of the 'perception' difficulty you were referring to.

OP: I think granted that you score around where you're hoping on the MCAT, you have a great shot at those schools. Good luck!

Nothing wrong with DO but you can have "integrated" option as an MD. Not much difference in training between the 2 anymore. A lot of Family Medicine docs are more people oriented if that's what you mean by integrated. Look at the comparisons between the MD and DO and check out the pros and cons.

You do realize that this elicited the response it did because you said she would be settling. Many posters here make a point that DO is not just a fall back option, so don't be surprised when you get responses like that. Not judging, just saying that your comment comes off as condescending towards those who made the DO choice for reasons other than failure to get into an MD program - but I guess posts like yours are part of the 'perception' difficulty you were referring to.

OP: I think granted that you score around where you're hoping on the MCAT, you have a great shot at those schools. Good luck!

MD rules....:D :laugh:

clinical: 40 hrs shadowing a MD (psychiatrist), 50+ hrs shadowing DO (family practice), 60+ hrs patient contact as hospital volunteer (E.R, amb. surg., cardiac telemetry)

research: 3 years neuropsychology research (2 posters, 1 pub), independent summer research project (1 poster)

EC's: have worked at a restaurant 10-15 hrs/wk during semesters and 40 hrs/wk during breaks throughout undergrad, play ice hockey, gen chem teaching assistant, member of following clubs: neuroscience club, film society, snowboard club, pre-medical association

awards: president's award for student excellence honorable mention

leadership: gen chem teaching assistant, volunteer youth ice hockey coach

so, pending my MCAT score..what are my chances at DO? Please be brutally honest. Also, any suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated!

I'd say your chances are pretty good. Your application seems well-rounded with a bit of everything. Your numbers are consistently above average, so you shouldn't have a problem with getting an interview. Make sure you score as best as you can on the MCAT. It's a big portion of your application. Good luck with the MCAT.

PS: My fiance is a female hockey player too

not the best move...MD is an easier road.

Why are you consistently "that guy" on these threads?

OP, you'll probably get better advice in the pre-osteopath forum if you want to go osteopath. In there, you will find other people who want to be or are in osteopathic programs that won't waste your time/bandwidth by telling you that you should go MD.

FWIW, I am in an MD program. Go where you think you will be happy.

Last edited:

Don't believe that SDN hype, you can get into an allopathic program with a sub-30 MCAT.

"Average MCAT" are "average" for a reason. I doubt the entire class of whatever school consists of people who scored exactly the 31 (or whatever) on the MCAT.

Easier in what sense?...Getting residency? Life as a physician in general?

Be wary about what pre-meds will tell you about this, as they have not experienced it themselves and their advice is therefore relatively useless. To reiterate what Old Grunt said, you should speak to actual DO students, residents, etc about how they feel they are perceived, how difficult matching was, etc, before making this decision.

i have to agree with some of the others and say that you can still apply MD if your MCAT is like, 27+. not everyone needs a 35. apply to both MD and DO, and you might end up with acceptances to both. in the meantime, id just stress getting more "patient contact" volunteering hours, because the shadowing is great and stuff, but i think that med schools do like when you get to interact with patients more.
good luck!!

Don't believe that SDN hype, you can get into an allopathic program with a sub-30 MCAT.

"Average MCAT" are "average" for a reason. I doubt the entire class of whatever school consists of people who scored exactly the 31 (or whatever) on the MCAT.

Be wary about what pre-meds will tell you about this, as they have not experienced it themselves and their advice is therefore relatively useless. To reiterate what Old Grunt said, you should speak to actual DO students, residents, etc about how they feel they are perceived, how difficult matching was, etc, before making this decision.

:thumbup: Good posts. Ask this question in the osteo threads and you will get a lot of helpful advice.

yes, you can....that's why the OP should apply MD.....along with DO.

Why are you consistently "that guy" on these threads?

Because, MD gives you a better chance....not saying you cant get there DO....just a harder time usually.

And, in my hood, alot of folks dont know what a DO is? They think they are Chiros....

and I want to be...that guy. Not to be PC.....

it is....
No, it is not helpful when you give advice about things you haven't personally experienced. Do you want someone to make a decision like this based on your subjective, unqualified opinion? If you were speaking strictly about admissions, sure, but you are telling the OP that if she goes DO she will have trouble matching and difficulty with perception. How do you know these things? Have you matched as a DO? Have you practiced as a DO? Also, being "that guy" doesn't make you a non-PC rebel, it just makes you seem ignorant. Just sayin'.

Because, MD gives you a better chance....not saying you cant get there DO....just a harder time usually.

And, in my hood, alot of folks dont know what a DO is? They think they are Chiros....

and I want to be...that guy. Not to be PC.....

I was actually speaking more towards your penchant to toss out the most banal and useless advice on these threads. I could care less about "PC". The OP asked about the DO process and your comment was to "go MD". What purpose does that serve?

If the OP doesn't want to practice in your "hood", your point rather, well, pointless.

No, it is not helpful when you give advice about things you haven't personally experienced. Do you want someone to make a decision like this based on your subjective, unqualified opinion? If you were speaking strictly about admissions, sure, but you are telling the OP that if she goes DO she will have trouble matching and difficulty with perception. How do you know these things? Have you matched as a DO? Have you practiced as a DO? Also, being "that guy" doesn't make you a non-PC rebel, it just makes you seem ignorant. Just sayin'.

I read the forums....and listen to others that have experienced it on here.

Same stats most residencies favor MD if they are allopathic.

And, I have had to explain what a DO is to nurses even where I am from. It is not the degree you think of first when you say physician...

I dont care what you do...go DO and have fun!! :laugh:

I was actually speaking more towards your penchant to toss out the most banal and useless advice on these threads. I could care less about "PC". The OP asked about the DO process and your comment was to "go MD". What purpose does that serve?

If the OP doesn't want to practice in your "hood", your point rather, well, pointless.

well, if you are so great, please take over and tell us all what to do....

Do you walk on water too? grunt...grunt...

serves the purpose to tell the OP they have a chance at MD and dont have to do DO if they dont want to.

I heard they teach water-walking in DO schools.

I'm definitely applying there.

well, if you are so great, please take over and tell us all what to do....

Do you walk on water too? grunt...grunt...

I don't walk on water, but If I am going to give advice, I generally try to be helpful and answer the question without derailing the thread.

You should try it some time.

serves the purpose to tell the OP they have a chance at MD and dont have to do DO if they dont want to.

That would be great, if your opening post didn't operate off the assumption that the OP didn't want to go DO for the philosophy.

BTW, the fact that Carolina is not a "DO heavy" doesn't serve to invalidate the degree.

I know this will shock you, but this country's borders extend beyond the Carolinas.

I don't walk on water, but If I am going to give advice, I generally try to be helpful and answer the question without derailing the thread.

You should try it some time.

That would be great, if your opening post didn't operate off the assumption that the OP didn't want to go DO for the philosophy.

BTW, the fact that Carolina is not a "DO heavy" doesn't serve to invalidate the degree.

I know this will shock you, but this country's borders extend beyond the Carolinas.

So, if you think DO is so great, why did you go DO? grunt...grunt.

I dont recommend being second best when you can best....

The process is really uncertain. Maybe since you already have a PharmD, you can give up on a DO acceptance to reapply to MD schools. However, most people are fresh out of college with little job prospect (go go biochem degree), and if they don't have a competitive application, it might be better for them to start DO school rather than wait another year.

So, if you think DO is so great, why did you go DO? grunt...grunt.

I didn't. However, my ego is not so fragile that I have to strap a chain around the two letters behind my name. Especially when I can't tell a difference in the residents I deal with.

Of course, since DO instantly vaporize when they cross the Carolina state line, you would know nothing about that.