Chances for latecomers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevdubs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided a couple of months ago to apply to med school after always assuming i would go to grad school. I am 24 already, but i have good grades and I just took the mcat and did well on that too. So basically i just started this process a few months ago i have no idea what schools to aim for, so hopefully this board can help some.
Here is my info:

community college GPA: 3.8
BS Biochem at top 50 school GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 11 V 15 PS 12 BS = 38Q

LOR: should have some pretty good ones
Work: cancer lab since i graduated 5 months ago
Research: 2 years
Activities: Acted in a play, yellow bike club, play in bands
Volunteer: 3 months non-medical
1 month medical (with patient contact)
Awards: some scholarships

So obviously my weakness is lack of extracurricualrs and volunteer (especially medically related), which im workign on currently to get more of. If i had known that I was going to try applying to med schools, i would have started all this earlier, but its too late now.
So what are my chances of getting into a decent school for Fall 09, assuming I increase my volunteer activity and maybe even shadow a doctor? And what schools are realistic for me to look at?
Also, any advice on how to beef up your app in such a short time?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on how cohesive a case you make on why you switched to medicine from grad school. In your case, taking 1 year off before you apply would probably make you a much more competitive applicant--you would have continuity in the activities that you are going to start, which is really I think all you need to become a great applicant. Keep in mind that the application season has already started and if you haven't begun your personal statement, it may already be late-ish before you have your primary in. You'd be surprised how fast 1 year passes before the next cycle comes around again, and with your qualifications I'm sure you could find a good full-time job. BTW med schools typically like older applicants (shows "life experience" I guess), so don't think that 24 is too late. Besides, the 1 year off will give you some time to think if you REALLY want to do medicine...it's an enormous committment etc., just read some of the threads in the Residency forum to get a flavor of what you'd be dealing with :p Good luck!

Your stats are great, but your lack of clinical exposure will kill your application at most schools. Still, because of your terrific numbers, you could consider applying anyway, including schools with lower stats selectivity, and you might get lucky, as I think some schools will look at you.

Without knowing your state, it's hard to suggest possible schools to apply to. But in my location (midwest), even the state schools would be unlikely to give you consideration. I don't think there's a list anywhere as to which schools disregard a lack of clinical exposure, but I have seen SDN postings of those in your situation who've been accepted. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
you would get in no problem. Just do something that makes the schools write that you have clinical experience. They probably won't look into the number of hours you worked, but you need to be in the "has experience" pile, because the other pile goes in the trash.

Your stats are great, but your lack of clinical exposure will kill your application at most schools. Still, because of your terrific numbers, you could consider applying anyway, including schools with lower stats selectivity, and you might get lucky, as I think some schools will look at you.

Without knowing your state, it's hard to suggest possible schools to apply to. But in my location (midwest), even the state schools would be unlikely to give you consideration. I don't think there's a list anywhere as to which schools disregard a lack of clinical exposure, but I have seen SDN postings of those in your situation who've been accepted. Good Luck.

Are you serious? It almost looks like you're trolling. He has a 38Q and a GPA above 3.8. He can compete at any school, and he has a good chance at most.

Are you serious? It almost looks like you're trolling. He has a 38Q and a GPA above 3.8. He can compete at any school, and he has a good chance at most.

There was a guy on SDN all of last year with similiar stats who didn't get in anywhere who had virtually no clinical exposure (Szhao). There is a thread dedicated to this issue at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499383 which cites other instances of high stat folks who didn't get in anywhere and why.

I did say that some schools would look at him/her anyway. With more clinical experience ANY school would want him/her.

Last edited:
There was a guy on SDN all of last year with similiar stats who didn't get in anywhere who had virtually no clinical exposure (Szhao). There is a thread dedicated to this issue at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499383 which cites other instances of high stat folks who didn't get in anywhere and why.

I did say that some schools would look at him/her anyway. With more clinical experience ANY school would want him/her.

Good point.

There are certainly a small minority of students with amazing profiles who get rejected from every school that they apply to. But to say that a lack of clinical exposure kills his application at most schools isn't realistic. The pessimism on this board is pervasive, though I understand why.

Thanks for feedback

My first question is what do schools consider "clinical exposure". By my book, I would consider volunteering in a hospital with lots of direct patient contact clinical exposure, which i will have been doing for several months by the end of the summer. Also, I plan to shadow a doctor soon if I can get it arranged (im having some problems with this). So are these two things not enough?? I mean, what else is there? I have family who are doctors and nurses who ive been in the hospital with, but i cant really put this down because its just family, not anything official.

Im really anxious to get in fall 09, but its starting to feel a little daunting and time is running out pretty quickly.

oops, i guess i had only one question after all. Actually, what the heck is trolling?

oops, i guess i had only one question after all. Actually, what the heck is trolling?

I think the term "Trolling" comes from when you go fishing, put bait on a line, and slowly move your pole back and forth to see what fish will bite. On SDN it refers to someone who posts something outrageous or inflammatory to see what reaction he gets. We aren't supposed to do it, and if you suspect someone is engaging in this practice, here is the advice of the moderators on how to handle it: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=529259

Thanks for feedback

My first question is what do schools consider "clinical exposure". By my book, I would consider volunteering in a hospital with lots of direct patient contact clinical exposure, which i will have been doing for several months by the end of the summer. Also, I plan to shadow a doctor soon if I can get it arranged (im having some problems with this). So are these two things not enough??

Im really anxious to get in fall 09, but its starting to feel a little daunting and time is running out pretty quickly.

Clinical exposure means contact with patients. It's important because without it, adcomms have no idea if you know what medicine is all about and whether you know what you're getting yourself into by choosing such a career. Hospital volunteering/shadowing would be enough, but if you submit your application now, you have very few hours/no hours you can report. Many applications report hundreds of hours in these areas combined. Considering you have experiences through family members, it might be good if you could give adcomms the feeling that through those contacts, you know what you're getting yourself into (maybe in the Personal Statement).

Don't be daunted. At least you do have some time in a hospital environment, if only a month, so that's good. By the time of interviews, you'll have a lot more hours under your belt. Are you filling out the AMCAS? Have you started a Personal Statement? Are your letters of reference all lined up and submitted?

Yes, yes and no (but ive given them a heads up).

As for using the PS as a good way to convey that im not completely ignorant about what medicine is all about, I was planning on talking about spending time in the ER with my mom, who was an influence on me. This way they can see that: A. I actually have been around the medical field/patients more than my official hours might suggest, and B. I have an inspiring figure in my life that made me want to go into medicine. That wouldnt be the entirety of the essay, but it would be a good way to help explain why i decided to switch from pure science to medicine and how (along with volunteering around patients) i solidified my desire to work directly with patients.

Does this sound reasonable, or is this kind of thing too overdone?

Also, does anybody have any suggestions about what schools are realistic for me? I am in Texas if it helps.

I know my numbers are statistically good enough for pretty much any school, but taking into account the other factors, what is reasonable?

Yes, yes and no (but ive given them a heads up).

As for using the PS as a good way to convey that im not completely ignorant about what medicine is all about, I was planning on talking about spending time in the ER with my mom, who was an influence on me. This way they can see that: A. I actually have been around the medical field/patients more than my official hours might suggest, and B. I have an inspiring figure in my life that made me want to go into medicine. That wouldnt be the entirety of the essay, but it would be a good way to help explain why i decided to switch from pure science to medicine and how (along with volunteering around patients) i solidified my desire to work directly with patients.

Does this sound reasonable, or is this kind of thing too overdone?

Sounds reasonable. I'm glad you have shadowed in an intense medical environment, albeit unofficially. I am feeling more optimistic on your behalf. Can you spin your PS so as not to mention your mom as being your mom? (maybe make her an unspecified person?) I'm not saying to mention her specifically would be bad, but you don't want adcomms to be thinking family pressure is the reason for your career choice. There is a fine line to tread here. (I had the same problem.) Just a thought. Feel free to ignore it.

Also, could your mom set up an intense, official (on a weekend if you don't live there) shadowing experience with someone she knows in the ER, using her connections ? It would be good to give contact info on the AMCAS form.