Chances for MD 29 MCAT 3.913 cGPA 3.9sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skgudwns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a NY resident, asian male
MCAT 29 (8vb/10bs/11ps)
cGPA: 3.913
sGPA ~3.9
I graduated from Cornell
My extra curriculars are pretty decent but not outstanding (no research background), but I have a lot of public health/ global health experiences, 2 campus organization leadership position, many hours of shadowing doctors, many hrs of volunteering, fraternity philanthropy chair with on campus leadership, and also worked as a medical assistant at a very well-established doctor's office after graduating.

I was wondering my chances at MD schools. I know my MCAT is very low but is there a chance my GPA might outweigh the low MCAT for some medical schools? I'm mostly looking at all NY public schools, lower tier med school and reaching for mid-tier.

Would I be competitive OOS applicant for lower tier medical schools? I looked through MSAR and wasn't sure how strong of a candidate I was looking at school's MCAT 10th-90th percentile.

Should I consider studying for 2 months and taking the new MCAT in 6/18? If so, would my AMCAS considered not complete until my MCAT score comes?

I know it's a lot of questions but would really appreciate any kind of input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would I be competitive OOS applicant for lower tier medical schools? I looked through MSAR and wasn't sure how strong of a candidate I was looking at school's MCAT 10th-90th percentile.

Should I consider studying for 2 months and taking the new MCAT in 6/18? If so, would my AMCAS considered not complete until my MCAT score comes?

You have to pay $27 to get useful info!

1. When did you take the MCAT?
2. Have you checked the schools you're interested in to make sure they'll accept that MCAT date (I believe some schools are no longer accepting the old MCAT; so make sure)
3. I'm not sure if you have not been prepping for the new MCAT you can be ready by June 18; that seems rushed
4. Correct - your application will not be considered complete until the MCAT score is released; HOWEVER!

you can submit to AMCAS along with your transcripts to get verified while you wait to take the MCAT and subsequent score... to do this, most suggest to apply to a school you know you'll never apply to again in case you have to reapply next year. At that one school you'd be considered a reapp, but at every other school YOU DO NOT APPLY TO, you'll be a 1st timer.

LAST: many schools will send you a secondary to complete once the AMCAS file is verified; that way you can start to work on those; submit them and once the MCAT score is received, the schools will consider you complete and start review of your overall application + secondaries.

As Gyngyn said: pay for the MSAR... seriously, it's worth it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great GPA so that will help you. Apply to all 4 SUNY's, CUNY (new school), Albany, New York Medical College, Einstein. For OOS schools consider:
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open in 2017 (Seton Hall, Henricopolis, Roseman, etc.)

I suggest:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Quinnipiac
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
EVMS
Oakland-B
Western MI
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
CUNY Med
Netter
All SUNYs.
Any DO school, starting with Touro-NY and NYITCOM

Hi I'm a NY resident, asian male
MCAT 29 (8vb/10bs/11ps)
cGPA: 3.913
sGPA ~3.9
I graduated from Cornell
My extra curriculars are pretty decent but not outstanding (no research background), but I have a lot of public health/ global health experiences, 2 campus organization leadership position, many hours of shadowing doctors, many hrs of volunteering, fraternity philanthropy chair with on campus leadership, and also worked as a medical assistant at a very well-established doctor's office after graduating.

I was wondering my chances at MD schools. I know my MCAT is very low but is there a chance my GPA might outweigh the low MCAT for some medical schools? I'm mostly looking at all NY public schools, lower tier med school and reaching for mid-tier.