Chances for MD or DO - Nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarshMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad GPA: 3.43 / 3.5 in major
Major: Emergency Health Services - UMBC
sGPA: 3.14 (most of which was post-bac)
MCAT: 27 8PS - 10VR - 9BS (1/10/15)

Vol/Clinical:
-700 hrs as a paramedic intern getting to work hands on with patients and practice clinical skills. It was spread out evenly at Johns Hopkins adult/ped ER, Union Memorial HC ER and surg cardiac cath lab, St Agnes HC ER and surgery, Baltimore City Fire Dept., Prince George's Co. Fire Dept., Anne Arundel Co. Fire Dept. (ALS ambulances).

-6 years as a volunteer paramedic/firefighter at my local VFC with ~3,000 911 calls.

-2 years as a paid paramedic at another 911 station.

Looking to apply to:
-UMD SOM
-USUHS SOM
-PCOM
-Temple
-Drexel
-Pitt
-UPenn
-Thomas Jefferson
-LECOM
-VCOM
-WVU SOM
-WVCOM
-LUCOM
-Pikeville SOM
-Howard

*Listed in somewhat of an order of preference.

I haven't done enough research on schools and am trying to do that now. I am most interested in Emergency Medicine, potentially surgery, but I am keeping my mind open.

Thanks in advance for all your help and opinions,
Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an underrepresented minority? Howard's mission is to turn out URM physicians. If you're not a URM, I'd also strike Pitt and Penn off that list. Replace those with two more DO schools.

I think you'll get accepted at a DO school. Did you do DO shadowing? It's important, much moreso than MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a minority only on the list because its 45 mins from home, and thanks for the insight.

Edit: And I have shadowed a DO ER doc.

It doesn't matter if it's 45 mins from home, unless you want the rejection letter to arrive faster.

Since you have an interesting altrustic background, Rush might be a better pick for a reach that's actually attainable. They like that sort of thing, or so I've heard.

I suggest:

Your state school, if any.
-USUHS SOM (only if you're interested in military medicine.)
TCMC
Western MI
NYMC
Netter
Any DO school except AZCOM (I can't recommend LUCOM)

-