Chances for MD/PhD..advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enzyme93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the 'what are my chances?' thread, but I also wanted to post it here to get some direct advice from current MD/PhD students about my chances. Here it goes:

Personal info:
Male
Illinois resident
Biochemistry Major
3.2 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
40 MCAT (planning on taking the MCAT2015 and getting a similar high percentile score as I did with the old MCAT)
No GRE yet
All A's in junior year taking all advanced science courses
Had a serious immediate family illness which caused me to miss a lot of class frosh/soph year
Came to US as war refugee from Sarajevo, Bosnia

12 months of biochemistry research at home institution
10 months of microbiology research at Loyola
1 Presentation
TA'ed 16 labs and lectures in chemistry and math thus far
Private tutor for 2 years ongoing

2 summers worth of hospital volunteering
speak 7 languages, including English
5 outstanding LOR, 4 of which come from research mentors

Applying PhD and MD/PhD for the upcoming cycle

What do you guys think my chances are considering all this basic info? I have two bad semesters because of that family illness, which caused me to miss a lot of school, but my junior year is basically flawless. I took nothing but my advanced science courses junior year. I should mention that each semester my courseload was between 15-18 credit hours, and this semester is 21. With the exception of one science class, I"ll be completely done with my major when my junior year ends this semester. My senior year will be basically all the gen ed requirements.

I really want to apply MDPhD, but I don't know if this is realistic because of my gpa. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Go all out on MD/PhD and forget PhD. Given your personal story, you have a strong shot, just highlight it in your application essays.

Do not take the new MCAT. There is no need. If you are now a US permanent resident (or citizen), you should be fine. Just apply broadly. Your GPA will screen you out of some programs, but you should get into several MD/PhD programs. Use every box in the application to describe that you are more than your scars.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for both of your replies, ValentinNarcisse and Fencer! Any recommendations for programs?

I was going to apply to all the Illinois schools: UIC, UIUC, Loyola, Rush, Northwestern, UChicago, Rosalind Franklin (are Northwestern and UChicago too big of a reach?)

I also liked UMichigan, Case Western, UW-Madison, MCW, Pitt, Hofstra, the SUNY schools, BU, NYMC, Tufts, Drexel

Just yesterday I found the Jefferson program, which I really love.

Any schools on my list I should just completely remove? Any more suggestions for programs I should add?

You have a very unusual application. Your GPA is low, but that seems to be from a slip-up, not from ability. Your research experience is fine (considering you will have more by application season). I'd recommend you apply to many programs (as many as 40), including some top 10-/top-20 programs. Most programs pay for you to interview with them, so if you can afford the application and put in the effort, it's worth the shot. You want to get in your first shot (it's better to spend extra now than to wait a year), and you want to be able to get into the best program possible- and you can't do that without applying.

I have no clue how you came up with your school list. You are applying midwest but not to Mayo, WashU; to NY programs but not the the better ones... why? Don't close your own doors. You have a unique story and all you need is one program to take a liking to you.

I'd suggest considering rec letter updates because (if you got them already) they may be able to be better. Don't re-take the MCAT, there is only downside (and people will be confused/think you're an idiot for doing so). Agree with Fencer- all this advice is assuming you are at least a permanent resident.

You have a very unusual application. Your GPA is low, but that seems to be from a slip-up, not from ability. Your research experience is fine (considering you will have more by application season). I'd recommend you apply to many programs (as many as 40), including some top 10-/top-20 programs. Most programs pay for you to interview with them, so if you can afford the application and put in the effort, it's worth the shot. You want to get in your first shot (it's better to spend extra now than to wait a year), and you want to be able to get into the best program possible- and you can't do that without applying.

I have no clue how you came up with your school list. You are applying midwest but not to Mayo, WashU; to NY programs but not the the better ones... why? Don't close your own doors. You have a unique story and all you need is one program to take a liking to you.

I'd suggest considering rec letter updates because (if you got them already) they may be able to be better. Don't re-take the MCAT, there is only downside (and people will be confused/think you're an idiot for doing so). Agree with Fencer- all this advice is assuming you are at least a permanent resident.

Thanks for your great advice, Stigma! I only just started putting my list together last month and didn't really consider any better schools because of my GPA. I had never even considered applying to that many schools because of how expensive it would be to submit AMCAS and each secondary, but you're completely right. It's better to spend more now. I basically did my state of residence schools, a few big state schools in the midwest, and a few in the northeast because I thought the ones I selected would be 'easier, so to say, to get into. What other schools would you suggest specifically?

I did not realize that my personal story could play such a huge part. I just always thought a program would see my GPA, and that would be the end of it.

As far as research goes, I'm trying to line up a summer one now. My letters are being written as we speak! And yes, I am a naturalized US citizen since 2005.

I agree with the other comments re: taking the 2015 MCAT and the importance of your personal story. Your junior year grades and MCAT score show that you are qualified for an MD/PhD program, and your life experiences and extracurricular activities add to your application.

However, if you are willing, I suggest you consider taking a year off before applying. If you apply this coming cycle, your application will say 3.2. But, if you continue to maintain straight A's over the next year, it will be a significant bump to your GPA and might get you more attention at schools that tend to "screen" for low stats. You also mentioned that you are looking into summer research. If you're able to start something now, continue it next school year, and then work on it full-time after graduation, you will be adding a substantial research experience to your application. This will help not only your paper application, but also your interviews.

Best of luck,

I agree with the other comments re: taking the 2015 MCAT and the importance of your personal story. Your junior year grades and MCAT score show that you are qualified for an MD/PhD program, and your life experiences and extracurricular activities add to your application.

However, if you are willing, I suggest you consider taking a year off before applying. If you apply this coming cycle, your application will say 3.2. But, if you continue to maintain straight A's over the next year, it will be a significant bump to your GPA and might get you more attention at schools that tend to "screen" for low stats. You also mentioned that you are looking into summer research. If you're able to start something now, continue it next school year, and then work on it full-time after graduation, you will be adding a substantial research experience to your application. This will help not only your paper application, but also your interviews.

Best of luck,
Hey plumazul,
May I send you a personal message to ask you about some specifics regarding what you suggested?
Please let me know!

All the above advice is good. You can certainly at least get interviews at top 20 programs with those stats as long as you stress your story in the application. You will certainly get screened out at some, but others will see past your GPA. Apply broadly and you should be fine

All the above advice is good. You can certainly at least get interviews at top 20 programs with those stats as long as you stress your story in the application. You will certainly get screened out at some, but others will see past your GPA. Apply broadly and you should be fine
Thanks dmblue! I feel much better about the whole process. Thanks for your help!

Agree with above. Don't retake the MCAT (if you don't need to).

However, if you are willing, I suggest you consider taking a year off before applying. If you apply this coming cycle, your application will say 3.2. But, if you continue to maintain straight A's over the next year, it will be a significant bump to your GPA and might get you more attention at schools that tend to "screen" for low stats.

I'm going to disagree with this advice. I do not think it is worth delaying your application for a year. (If you want to see my take on delaying things, see a recent post here, How to best prepare myself after graduation?). You have nearly 2 years of research experience, which is enough, and your potential bump to your GPA is not that great anyway. It's not likely to make that much of a difference if you go from 3.2 to 3.3-3.4. Some places may still screen you, but most I think will look past it. Because it is a smaller applicant pool than MD only, there is more attention to individual characteristics, which will help you.

I do agree with the above. Do not retake MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user