Chances for MD/PhD ... Disability, high research, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zimzim11

Aspiring MD/PhD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have yet to see a post regarding disabled students so I figured it would be worth it to ask.

I think I have a pretty fortunate situation in which my disease does not affect my research but it did affect my school work for years before I was able to get it diagnosed and start taking medication. This essentially fixed a lot of my issues and my GPA increased dramatically once my doctors taught me how to work around the now predictable symptoms.

I have no idea how much this will be taken into consideration (if it will at all) and if I should retake the MCAT in order to make up for my GPA for the first two years. I also completely understand that my clinical experience needs to be expanded but that is in the process and I should begin regularly shadowing within a couple weeks. I know this might sound ridiculous but I am not planning on applying to too many schools below the top 20 and will do whatever it takes to get into the higher tier of programs. Please let me know what you think my chances are for UCLA/Tri I/U Michigan etc. or if you don't think it is worth it until I increase my MCAT scores.

Personal info:
Female
California resident and US citizen
½ Middle Eastern ½ Very White
Molecular and Cell Biology Major (Immunology) at top 10 University known for very harsh grading curve
3.5 cGPA
3.25 sGPA (3.06 from before my medicine and 3.66 after)
Graduating with honors in MCB with an emphasis on research
32 MCAT (11 P/11V/10B) (I only had one month to study. Debating retaking the 2015 MCAT.)

3 months of neurology research at UC Irvine
2 years of tumor immunology research at home institution (PI is the head of the department)
Received a fellowship for a summer spent working here
3 months of stem cell + immunology under an NIH fellowship at Mayo Clinic
1 year of biochemical immunology research at home institution (hope to continue working there during my gap year)
1 merit based, full ride four year scholarship for undergraduate degree
2 talks at fellowship conferences
2 posters at an NIH conference and AAI (American Association of Immunologists)
1 2nd author paper in Journal of Clinical Immunology (tier under Nature/Cell)
1 3rd author paper under review
High level of technical skill in flow cytometry and superresolution structured illumination microscopy (Elyra SR-SIM) plus a large amount of experience in various other techniques at a more moderate skill level.

Experience shadowing physicians that will be expanded in the next few months.
Part of a team that has raised over $45,000 for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital over 4 years
5 outstanding LOR, 4 of which come from research mentors and one from an advisor for the last 3 years

Volunteer tutor for 3 years ongoing
Expansive leadership experiences within my sorority including
Vice President (1 year)
House Manager (1 year)
Member Development Chairmen (1/2 of a year)

TLDR: Research=high, Leadership=high, stats=low, + disability. What are my chances of getting into UCLA/Tri I/U Michigan etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake and get above 35, competitive for top-20 with your research credentials.

Thank you @ValentinNarcisse for your imput! Do you (or anyone else) know if the disability status would help me even more, possibly counting as an unofficial URM, or is just not worth applying until I have retaken the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're never going to count as URM. We have no idea how much URM matters in MD/PhD admissions. I don't think it would be a magical fix for your sub-par GPA and MCAT.

Whether your disability matters in any way or in what way depends on what it is. Your GPA is going to hurt you significantly no matter what you do. If you can bring your MCAT close to 40 you have a chance for MSTP, though hard to predict which ones will forgive such a low GPA.

URM, disability, and socio-economic disadvantage status are biographical items required for NIH reports associated with grant applications. Although all of them are powerful descriptors of the opportunities that applicants have, only URM, at the present, is considered critical by NIH for program applications (for example, MSTP) to help in the diversification of the American research workforce. Thus, it is a factor that will influence most MD/PhD admissions committees across the US. In my personal review of each applicant, I care more about the level and/or type of opportunities that applicants had available - do they do the most with what they had - and what they did. Although the ADcom of my program values all of the three biographical descriptors, as a program so close to getting MSTP funding, these descriptors probably would not get even weight in consideration.

The OP has a good chance of getting accepted/interview into mid and low tier MSTP but I doubt that is realistic to get acceptances with these academic qualifications for some of the programs listed. If she wants to become a clinician scientist and eventually land into a research-track residency in top tier places, she needs to do well in a MD/PhD program, publish several first-author manuscripts, be in the top academic quartile in her MD class, elected into AOA if possible, and have awesome USMLE Step scores. That can be done more easily in mid- and low-tier MSTP/MD-PhD schools than in a top tier school where one was admitted at the bottom of the academic class.

PM me if you want to discuss your application..

Last edited:
Could you clarify this? Are adcoms looking for certain types of disabilities or qualifying disabilities?

Nothing excuses a low GPA and low MCAT. You have to show you can compete on an equal playing field.

What your disability story means to an adcom will be up to that adcom. Adcoms aren't looking for excuses because life after being a student won't accept excuses. It comes down to, is this disability managed to the best of this person's ability and what are the odds that it will impair them in the future from being a physician-scientist.

@Neuronix , I've seen you advise applicants with similar GPAs (3.5cGPA) that they should be okay (as long as they include a range of programs, Non-MSTPs). Is there a reason here that you're considering OP's GPA particularly low/difficulty to overcome (or are you referring to the 3.25 sGPA)?

Yes, mostly that. It's not insurmountable, but 3.5 cGPA with 3.25 sGPA is tough.

Your situation is clearly different. You have a very strong upward trend with a 3.8 sGPA. You'll need a high MCAT and you know that. You also have extensive research experience and a story about why your GPA was low before but how you've overcome that. Some programs are going to not review your application because of your GPA, but I think you'll be ok.

What your disability story means to an adcom will be up to that adcom. Adcoms aren't looking for excuses because life after being a student won't accept excuses. It comes down to, is this disability managed to the best of this person's ability and what are the odds that it will impair them in the future from being a physician-scientist.

This thread is the first I've seen disability mentioned as something adoms (might?) consider. Didn't know disability was a biographical item reported by programs (How do schools get this info? Surveys after admission?). It looks like the NIH is maybe trying to encourage more applicants with disabilities (NOT-OD-15-053: Notice of NIH's Interest in Diversity). Many schools' websites also say they encourage applicants with disabilities.
However, encouraging applicants and judging them without bias towards presumed limitations/accommodations are two different matters.

Last edited: