Chances for MD please? 3.5c, chemical engineering.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masribrahh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what are my chances at MD schools nationwide? I'm not picky as to where I am going to apply and I'm willing to relocate anywhere in the U.S

- Chemical Engineering senior at UT Austin (resident of New Jersey).

- Middle Eastern ethnicity so I'm not considered a URM.

- I will still apply to Texas schools since I've been living here for 3 years and pay in-state tax. So I hope TMDSAS will loosen up a bit when I apply.

- 3.516 cumulative GPA and 3.70 BCPM GPA. If engineering classes don't count under science, then my science GPA will be the same as my BCPM GPA. If it does count, then it will be closer to my cumulative.

- 30 on my MCAT

Employment:
- I did three 6-month internships (2 engineering and 1 business).

1. Designed spinal implants for a biomedical firm and observed surgeries. I got plenty of cadaver experience and got exposed to engineer/surgeon interactions.

2. Worked as an R&D engineer at Crayola

3. Worked at a social media consulting firm

- I did research in a cellular and metabolic engineering lab for 8 months

- I run two online business for extra money on the side. One of them is a medically related website.

- I tutor 6 hours a week for the university.

ECs:
- 3 hours a week of consistent volunteering at a hospital for 1 year now (different departments).

- Shadowed a GP for 3 months, ER physician, radiologist and an opthamologist.

- Co-founder of two organizations, webmaster of another organization (none of them are health related organizations, they all are related to my interests and hobbies)

- One very strong physician LOR, two science and two non-science LORs at my disposal as well.

I plan on applying this application cycle and have no geographic restrictions. I honestly have no idea where to apply. I bought the MSAR Online today and with my MCAT-GPA combo, it feels like all the schools that are OOS friendly are reaches.

Thank you so much and I appreciate any help or direction I can get!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Engineering classes do not count towards BCPM (see the AMCAS Course Classifcation Guide). However, you are allowed to make the classifications yourself based on course content (not course number/ school), and AMCAS will simply verify what you have written. So if, for example, you have a thermodynamics class that's listed under chemical engineering, you can still count it as CHEM for BCPM.

Unfortunately, TMDSAS is very strict when it comes to residency classification. Your Texas ties are nice, but you will still be considered separately from Texas residents.

(sorry I can't offer any school advice - I'm a Texas resident and am not so familiar with other states...)

Hey guys, what are my chances at MD schools nationwide? I'm not picky as to where I am going to apply and I'm willing to relocate anywhere in the U.S

- Chemical Engineering senior at UT Austin (resident of New Jersey).

- Middle Eastern ethnicity so I'm not considered a URM.

- I will still apply to Texas schools since I've been living here for 3 years and pay in-state tax. So I hope TMDSAS will loosen up a bit when I apply.

- 3.516 cumulative GPA and 3.70 BCPM GPA. If engineering classes don't count under science, then my science GPA will be the same as my BCPM GPA. If it does count, then it will be closer to my cumulative.

- 30 on my MCAT

Employment:
- I did three 6-month internships (2 engineering and 1 business).

1. Designed spinal implants for a biomedical firm and observed surgeries. I got plenty of cadaver experience and got exposed to engineer/surgeon interactions.

2. Worked as an R&D engineer at Crayola

3. Worked at a social media consulting firm

- I did research in a cellular and metabolic engineering lab for 8 months

- I run two online business for extra money on the side. One of them is a medically related website.

- I tutor 6 hours a week for the university.

ECs:
- 3 hours a week of consistent volunteering at a hospital for 1 year now (different departments).

- Shadowed a GP for 3 months, ER physician, radiologist and an opthamologist.

- Co-founder of two organizations, webmaster of another organization (none of them are health related organizations, they all are related to my interests and hobbies)

- One very strong physician LOR, two science and two non-science LORs at my disposal as well.

I plan on applying this application cycle and have no geographic restrictions. I honestly have no idea where to apply. I bought the MSAR Online today and with my MCAT-GPA combo, it feels like all the schools that are OOS friendly are reaches.

Thank you so much and I appreciate any help or direction I can get!

I think you have a good shot!

Focus your PS well, but you really have to talk about why medicine, instead of engineering... also talk about what stuff you made at crayola or any of the engineering fields. Did your research result in publications? Talk about it.

Did those organizations last? How many people are in it? I can make 10 orgs too, but if they die when I leave... be sure you can speak passionately about them.

As for which schools, do a match comparison between mcat/gpa (cumulative), and apply broadly. Don't apply to public schools that have huge instate bias, like michigan, minnesota, wisconsin, california, florida. Find schools that take a large # of OOS students. Private schools will be nice to you. NJ should work well for you, too!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good shot!

Focus your PS well, but you really have to talk about why medicine, instead of engineering... also talk about what stuff you made at crayola or any of the engineering fields. Did your research result in publications? Talk about it.

Did those organizations last? How many people are in it? I can make 10 orgs too, but if they die when I leave... be sure you can speak passionately about them.

As for which schools, do a match comparison between mcat/gpa (cumulative), and apply broadly. Don't apply to public schools that have huge instate bias, like michigan, minnesota, wisconsin, california, florida. Find schools that take a large # of OOS students. Private schools will be nice to you. NJ should work well for you, too!

Good luck!

Oh definitely. The first co-op I did, I designed spinal implants so I dissected cadavers, brainstormed with neurosurgeons on new vertebral components, observed surgeries, etc... That will be my main focus on the PS since that's what sparked my interest in medicine in the first place.

No publications since it was for a very short period but at least I got the research exposure and can talk about what I liked and disliked.

In terms of applying, I put my scores in the LizzyM spreadsheet and only 7-8 schools were in the "go for it" section and half of them were in-state specific... so that freaked me out a bit. I'm planning on applying to 15-20 schools so I'll to pull the rest from the "hopeful" section.

Thanks for your insight!

Engineering classes do not count towards BCPM (see the AMCAS Course Classifcation Guide). However, you are allowed to make the classifications yourself based on course content (not course number/ school), and AMCAS will simply verify what you have written. So if, for example, you have a thermodynamics class that's listed under chemical engineering, you can still count it as CHEM for BCPM.

Unfortunately, TMDSAS is very strict when it comes to residency classification. Your Texas ties are nice, but you will still be considered separately from Texas residents.

(sorry I can't offer any school advice - I'm a Texas resident and am not so familiar with other states...)

Thanks for the clarification on the BCPM GPA. I'm definitely not going to willingly classify an engineering class as BCPM since those are the reason why my cGPA is low in the first place.

It's a huge bummer for TX, I really do love living here.