Chances for MD school(Any school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me any advice on this?? :oops: please help :(

I feel that your sGPA might hurt you at most MD schools. However, check you in state schools to see if the have a strong in state bias and try those. Also any new medical schools that are opening for this cycle. Based on stats you might have a change at Marshall, WVU, FSU, or Drexel but research these schools before applying to see if you fit their mission statement. Based on what you have listed you would be a very competitive applicant for most DO schools, if you apply to atleast 10 you should receive some interview invites. Definitely would need to shadow a DO and I'd recommend getting a letter from that doctor. If you need info on any DO schools feel free to message me and I'll try to help you out with a list that you'd be a good candidate for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that your sGPA might hurt you at most MD schools. However, check you in state schools to see if the have a strong in state bias and try those. Also any new medical schools that are opening for this cycle. Based on stats you might have a change at Marshall, WVU, FSU, or Drexel but research these schools before applying to see if you fit their mission statement. Based on what you have listed you would be a very competitive applicant for most DO schools, if you apply to atleast 10 you should receive some interview invites. Definitely would need to shadow a DO and I'd recommend getting a letter from that doctor. If you need info on any DO schools feel free to message me and I'll try to help you out with a list that you'd be a good candidate for.

:oops:

Last edited:
Your chances for a MD school are slim to none. Your science gpa and the 123 on a MCAT section are more than likely killers. You also do not have the greatest extra curricular either. I'd recommend getting the MSAR on the aamc website and doing some research on schools to see if you would even fall into the 10th percentile at any MD schools. Like I said earlier you also need to look into if your state has any schools that have an in state bias and apply to those schools. As of right now i feel that you are a better candidate for a DO program over an MD. Applying to both MD and DO schools won't hurt you but make sure you know was osteopathic medicine is and have atleast shadowed a DO before. If you want MD, you are going to have to significantly improve your overall application (more healthcare experience, higher gpa, improved MCAT). Not an expert but I'd say apply to only DO schools

I still have 2 quarters and I could get my GPA science up to around a 3.45 but you think if I want to have a chance at any med school, I should get more activies and re-take my Mcat? :oops:
Also for a DO school, do I absolutely have to shadow a DO before I apply? Because to be honest, I don't think there are many DO's around my area or at least I have never noticed one.

If you really want an MD acceptance you could take a gap year and try to improve your gpa and get an MCAT of 508+. I would think that there are definitely DOs around you, start by looking in primary care office (family, pediatrics, OB, internal med). It is completely not necessary to shadow one but some DO schools require a letter of recommendation from a DO so it would be smart to shadow one at least. DO schools like to accept people that are committed to practicing in osteopathic medicine, not just searching for an acceptance. Also, a lot of schools have a rural/underserved mission statement IDK if you fit that. You could still send you primaries in, then work on getting some more shadowing and include that in your secondary responses. The applications for DO just opened today

Hmm okay I see, so I would have to raise them for MD route. Do you mean applications for D.O opened today and must be submitted by June(like MD applications) or do you mean people are already submitting them today? Also would you mind if I message you so you can help me out on a list that I would be a good candidate for to be a D.O? :oops:

Your stats are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews. Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews. Where is your state of residence?

I am currently in California BUT I will be willing to go to any state for Medical School(MD or DO for that matter). So do I have a good chance as being a DO? I have actually done a lot of research over the past couple of days and a DO is basically the same idea but just tend to take the person into account overall which looks great to me to be honest :)

I am currently in California BUT I will be willing to go to any state for Medical School(MD or DO for that matter). So do I have a good chance as being a DO? I have actually done a lot of research over the past couple of days and a DO is basically the same idea but just tend to take the person into account overall which looks great to me to be honest :)
CA is not a good state for IS MD applicants. Try some of the OOS private schools for MD also such as:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
any new schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, etc.)
@gyngyn could give you an idea if you would be competitive for any CA MD schools.
You should be fine for DO schools though.

CA is not a good state for IS MD applicants. Try some of the OOS private schools for MD also such as:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
any new schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, etc.)
@gyngyn could give you an idea if you would be competitive for any CA MD schools.
You should be fine for DO schools though.
I'm sorry did you just give me a list of MD schools? :oops: Do I even stand a chance there? Or do I basically have no chance there and should just go the DO route? I'm fine with either to be honest :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Which Hispanic community do you represent? Language skills? Validated commitment to service?
Which Hispanic community? My mom and dad are both from Guadalajara Mexico(if that's what you were asking), they were immigrants. I can speak Spanish(probably on a scale 1-10, around a 6 or 7) and English(this is my native language) and what do you mean validated commitment to service? :oops:

Your stats also look good for medical schools in Puerto Rico, if you would be willing to move there, and if your Spanish is alright. There are 3 that you could apply to OOS.

Which Hispanic community? My mom and dad are both from Guadalajara Mexico(if that's what you were asking), they were immigrants. I can speak Spanish(probably on a scale 1-10, around a 6 or 7) and English(this is my native language) and what do you mean validated commitment to service? :oops:

The reason for the much discussed "UiM boost" is not to benefit to the applicant, but rather the community represented by the applicant. Evidence of commitment to service is just as important as being a member of that community.

The reason for the much discussed "UiM boost" is not to benefit to the applicant, but rather the community represented by the applicant. Evidence of commitment to service is just as important as being a member of that community.
Ahh I see what you mean! Well to be honest, I actually have been doing research on the DO route for a couple of days now and I do like the idea that I actually take the patient as a whole rather than just a symptom! I think I might just end up applying to DO schools this cycle :) Gyngyn, do you know of schools for DO in the west coast for my gpa and Mcat will give me a good chance? PITT52 actually helped me with a list of schools but i'm wondering if theres a place to research stats for DO? :)

Ahh I see what you mean! Well to be honest, I actually have been doing research on the DO route for a couple of days now and I do like the idea that I actually take the patient as a whole rather than just a symptom! I think I might just end up applying to DO schools this cycle :) Gyngyn, do you know of schools for DO in the west coast for my gpa and Mcat will give me a good chance? PITT52 actually helped me with a list of schools but i'm wondering if theres a place to research stats for DO? :)
You can try Western and Touro. The pre-osteo forum is a good place to ask: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/pre-medical-osteopathic-do.13/

What my learned colleague is saying is that one has to walk the walk, not merely talk the talk.

Nope, but it helps. If you live within driving distance of either Touro or Westerns, go visit them and chat up thier DO faculty. MY own colleagues love it when people do this.

Also, the DO app cycle is longer than that for MD and so sending in an app even by November is not too late.

Also for a DO school, do I absolutely have to shadow a DO before I apply? Because to be honest, I don't think there are many DO's around my area or at least I have never noticed one.

So you don't have documented evidence of commitment to your community? Imo your MD chances are slim. You have very weak ECs, low sGPA, below average cGPA and aMCAT that is around a 28 on the old scale-so well below average for MD. Focus in DO and maybe a couple of low tier MD but realize they would be reaches.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

So you don't have documented evidence of commitment to your community? Imo your MD chances are slim. You have very weak ECs, low sGPA, below average cGPA and aMCAT that is around a 28 on the old scale-so well below average for MD. Focus in DO and maybe a couple of low tier MD but realize they would be reaches.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
e.

Last edited: